The Official Challenge Thread

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by aliceandsven, Jun 8, 2010.

1. x3point14

x3point14 Level 6: Lakitu

Beat world 8 as Ryu Hayabusa only using Windmill Shuriken!

2. LC-DDM

LC-DDM Level 3: Paratroopa

Right, let me just provide you with a few more achievements for you guys to work over...

Pea Shooter - Finish the game as Bill Rizer without any power-ups.
    The Assassin - As Ryu Hayabusa, do not kill any enemy except the Bowsers.
    Restrictive Eyesight - As Bass, complete the game firing shots only horizontally.
    Completely Missing The Point - Finish a Single Character playthrough as Mario with NES graphics on Normal/Hard. Classic Screen Scroll must be enabled.
    Legend... wait for it... - Finish a Single Character playthrough on Extreme with Ryu Hayabusa.
    ...of Zelda! - Kill enemies using only Link's Downward Thrust with no power-ups.
    ...dary! - Complete "Legend... wait for it..." without power-ups.
    Cool Story, Sis - As Samus, use the Ice Beam to freeze enemies without killing them in 8-4. DO NOT fire again to unfreeze them.
    Sonic Overalls - Use Mario or Luigi to complete a level under 100 seconds in Normal Difficulty.
    Height Problems - As Mario or Luigi, do not kill enemies unless you have a Mushroom or Fire Flower on a level.
    Za Warudo - As Simon on any level at Normal Difficulty or Higher, kill all enemies while in the effect of the StopWatch. Killing a Lakitu will not count towards the achievement as they keep moving even when the StopWatch is in effect.
    Balls of Steel - Finish a Single Character playthrough as any character on Extreme without power-ups or 1-ups.

roman6a, FCx and Faruga like this.
  3. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

You mean normal/hard since there isn't a very hard in SMB (also, add Classic Screen Scroll to the rules).

roman6a likes this.
  4. LC-DDM

Alright, edited.

Can't wait to see people actually do these instead of mouthing off with less than stellar (and horribly easy) achievements...

5. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Well... *cough* Yeah, wouldn't that be something.

roman6a likes this.
  6. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

Let's Blow This Pop Stand: Using infinite ammo, clear the game as Link using ONLY bombs, and NOTHING else.

Challenge Accepted.

edit: I am up to 3-4 and I have only died once, when I thought I shot enough bullets to make a Koopa retreat into his shell, and then I didn't. Ran headlong into it, keeled over and died. Oopsie daisy. Other than that little mishap I have not had too hard a time. Yet. It's a cock and a half getting through that fire bar underwater in 8-4... and I do NOT look forward to 8-2.

edit: in 5-4, died twice. 5-2 got me with this badly placed cannon right by a pit, that you basically have to run through that opening and hope you don't get shot in the face.

... I got shot in the face.

edit: CLEAR

I got through that 8-4 underwater tunnel fire bar bullshittery on my first try, where the path narrows and they put the fire bar there. Bill jumps full screen underwater, so timing it was a bitch, but I came SO CLOSE that I could swear the fire wand touched him... I could NOT believe I pulled that shit off.

Peashooter challenge: ALL CLEAR

7. LC-DDM

Yeah, The 8-# levels, save 3, are probably going to be a right bitch to get through.

8. Nemephosis

I died on 8-2. Turtle to the face at the beginning. Second try went smoother. I had to take advantage of SMB's two-bullet limitation to breeze through one section of Bullet Hell there. 8-1 was easy enough, 8-3 was a joke, and the hardest part about 8-4 was that fire wand tunnel shit, trying to manage Bill's jump.

Indeed, more than 90% of them are stupid and not thought out at all, or will happen during the course of a game anyway, and so they are not worth the honour of being picked and attempted, not put in my sig when I am done. I've completed one, and now I'm looking back through this thread for some to do. Pretty much all of them suck or are natural.

9. LC-DDM

The problem is, these people are thinking of achievements as "OH KEWL THIS IS GONNA RANK UP MY IMAGINARY GAMERSCORE THRU DA ROOF OLOLOLO", and not a written set of challenges for others (or yourself) to complete.

I mean, I could probably understand if a five-year old would be playing SMBC, he'd probably find it fun to just do the mundane things everyone else does. But really, people, let's try to get some creativity going!

10. Nemephosis

Don't worry, I'm an 80's gamer. I have no trouble understanding what you mean. :p

tomorrow I'm doing Peashooter on Very Hard :awesome:

sbq92 and Faruga like this.
  11. Faruga

Patron

I wish you luck.

12. Nemephosis

I think I am going to need it.

I'm either going to complete this or I'm going to beat my head into a wall. Whichever seems more fun at the time.

edit: VERY HARD CLEAR

brings me back to the "chucking controllers" days, except I didn't actually do it. Oh, I fucking wanted to... so many bullshitty deaths... including one crock of shit AFTER I got through the fire wand tunnel in 8-4... oh man, did that one ever give me the rage... but I finally did it.

13. Anon421

Anon421 Guest

Well, if Scrooge would be in this game, we would have a "Bounce through the game"-challenge. I'm not sure if it would be possible to (just) bounce through (certain parts of) all levels, but it would be an interesting challenge nonetheless.

14. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Link can bounce.

15. Anon421

Anon421 Guest

Nope. Link can only bounce from enemy to enemy and from block to block. Scrooge has the ability to bounce everywhere at any time.

16. ZeroEdgeir

ZeroEdgeir Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Except in snow.... he gets stuck.

17. Faruga

Patron

Retro Game Challenge - Finish Survival/Single Character with only Mario and/or Ryu, with the interface/enemy/level skins being Demon Returns, Mario's skin being 8-bit Demon and Ryu's skin being Haggle Man

Also, shouldn't we invent some Gamerscore-like thing for these?

18. Nemephosis

No, we shouldn't. That defeats the ENTIRE point of "doing something just to do it".

Oh, I got one.

Jumpin' Jack Flash: You can ONLY move in the air (so you must jump, then move, and when you land, you stop again.)

19. Faruga

Patron

Is there an Achievement thread (this was once challenges and achievements)? We could have a system there.

20. Nemephosis

I think this is it. No, we don't need made up point systems to do hard stuff. As someone who's been doing stuff like that long, LONG before there was ever any kind of stupid and worthless "reward" system for it, it sort of aggravates me to think that people these days need some sort of incentive other than "it would be cool" just to do anything. I went through the game as Bill with no powerups on Very Hard not to get anything out of it, but because now I can say "I cleared the game on Very Hard with Bill with just his default gun." That's all I need.

Man, I seriously defy anyone to pick up the original Legend of Zelda and try playing through it without looking at a walkthrough or flipping your shit. That's what we had to do! Play through it and find it yourself or call Nintendo's hotline if you really got stuck.