The Official Challenge Thread

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by aliceandsven, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I had to use IGN's guide to get through it.

2. ZeroEdgeir

ZeroEdgeir Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I thankfully played through the original Zelda enough that, when I did replay it on my Wii like a year ago, I had to stop to look up the location of ONE Heart Container I missed. Sailed through the game otherwise. Most Zelda games, RPGs, and such, I can 100% clear from memory, even if memory was like 2+ years old. Initial playthroughs may take longer, but I hate looking up how to do something, unless I am majorly stuck.

My personal favourite is still my 0 Death, 3 Heart playthrough of Ocarina of Time. Now that takes some skill.

3. LC-DDM

LC-DDM Level 3: Paratroopa

Under a light of the new Invisible (X) feature, I think we could do with something related. Keep in mind these are all to be played on Normal or higher.

The Naked Eye - Complete the game as any character with an invisible interface skin.

Why this? Because it is just as important, despite what you may think, as it holds the key to your coin counter, the time, and lives. Your only cues for the lives are at the start of the game, you'll have to go mentally from there onwards. The time, your only cue is the speed-up tune, and THAT is something you don't want to hear when playing a level.

See Right Through Me - Complete the game as any character with an invisible enemy skin.

E. Coyote's Experience - Complete the game as any character with an invisible map skin.

Yeah, these are basic and unimaginative, but still somewhat fun...

4. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

My favorite Zelda run is "get to clock town, feel overwhelmed and stop playing for the day" in Majora's Mask

5. Draken

Draken Level 1: Goomba

Extreme Close Combat Challenge - Beat the game using Ryu :ryu: or Simon :simon: without using any powerups except for Ryu's sword upgrade and Simon's whip upgrade. Those who feel godlike can play with all hammer bros :hbr: cheat. No cheats except for Infinite Lives and Infinite Time allowed. Simon Classic Jump OFF. You can also use Link but for me he feels to easy for Extreme challenge with all his :dtmf: .

Now this is extremly hard challenge considering the fact at some point Bowser becomes semi-impossible to defeat like that. And if someone beats the game like that... they could probably beat Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden without losing one HP. [Also, using your Mushroom as an easy way to go through Bowser doesn't count, mwhahahaha] :mush: + :bowser: = NO!

6. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

The Untouchable: Play through the whole game without taking a single hit

I just did it. It took me about a dozen tries over this weekend, but I did it.

7. ZeroEdgeir

ZeroEdgeir Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Which character?

8. Nemephosis

Link. He's one tile big, so it's the hardest to hit him. I took advantage of that plus his boomerang.

edit: There was a real heartbreaker in 8-3 once where I went to jump over a cannon but just as I jumped, the mother bitch fired, and I jumped into the underside of a bullet. It gave me the rage.

edit: Here's one I'm going to try.

Genocidal: Kill every killable enemy you see.

This obviously doesn't apply to 2-3, 7-3 and the mid point of 8-4, with the cheep cheeps that constantly stream out (there's no end point to them.) Other than those, you must take all the living things and then make them stop doing it.

9. Nemephosis

Bumpage, cause it's been longer than 24 hours.

I didn't know just how difficult "Genocidal" can be. You need to make a couple exceptions to it, the flying koopas in 1-3 and 3-3 are impossible to kill before they fall down the pit and the cheep cheeps in 2-3, 7-3 and 8-4 don't count cause there's no end to them until the end of the level.

Your natural reaction to a shelled Koopa is to kick it. One took off in 5-1 and I couldn't catch it... missed it, scrolled off the screen. Wasn't killed. Challenge failed. FUCK!! Talk about major suck.

Guess I'll try it again tomorrow. I was doing really good until that point...

10. Krozard

Krozard Level 0: Newbie

Water Shield Challenge:
    Character required: Either Mega Man or Bass, your choice.

Cheats Allowed: Any cheat may be used except water mode. (infinite ammo HIGHLY recommended)

The challenge: At the beginning of the level, cast water shield. Try to complete the level with as many charges left as possible. +1 point for every charge left at the end of the level, -9 points each time you need to re-summon the orbs (must be re summoned immediately after last charge is depleted, cannot be re summoned until depleted)

Note: You do not lose 9 points for the initial summon at the start of the stage.

Some levels are much more difficult than others (4-2 comes to mind)

Rey D likes this.
  11. Nemephosis

You see that, guys? That is a challenge. Not "shoot a bullet bill". Seriously you ought to be ashamed of that one.

12. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

This was once also an "achievement" thread. Before the name was changed, "shoot a bullet bill" was still worthy as an achievement.
    Achievement means "do something", in which case "something" can be anything in the world. I once broke the bowling floor on someone else's Xbox Kinect and got an achievement.

13. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Actually the original purpose of this thread was to attempt the challenges listed. The title was changed because no one understands what an achievement is outside of the "xbox kinect you did this" pop-ups anymore.

uglyrodent likes this.
  14. Nemephosis

I'm living up to my end of the bargain here! Hey, I completed Draken's "extreme close combat challenge" with Ryu just now (I'm gonna call it something better in my sig. :p)

I had to do it on Very Easy because, well, I was getting ready to create a crater in my floor with the controller. Bowser fights are pure luck on 4-4 and 6-4 onwards. Thankfully, due to what I assume is a bug, Bowser doesn't shoot both fire and hammers on 6-4 and 7-4 (he does on 8-4.) So once you get inside his hammer arc, it's a matter of slashing him to death.

Also, fuck the Xbox generation and their concept of "achievements". I guess something is only worth doing if you get a stupid popup and a "bloop" sound effect giving you some arbitrary number of points that ultimately don't mean dick. NES days > everything, bitches. You know, tomorrow I'm going to try my own "Jumpin' Jack Flash" challenge, where you can ONLY move if you are airborne. I won't get anything out of it other than the satisfaction of doing it and the right to add it to my sig, but I'm still going to do it.

15. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

It's not a bug.
    Worlds 1 through 5: Fire
    Worlds 6 & 7: Hammers
    World 8: Fire and Hammers

16. Nemephosis

At least I know I am not losing my shit. Thanks. I always thought it was a bug, cause he always shot fire before the hammers. I guess they wanted to make 8-4 just that much harder.

17. LC-DDM

LC-DDM Level 3: Paratroopa

So... I don't doubt you all... but, how about them videos? <_>

18. Popper

Popper Level 2: Koopa

:0 You just won the game. That is the most amazing idea I have ever heard. I think I'm gonna faint.