The Pacifist's Challenge

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by faves3000, Feb 27, 2013.

1. faves3000

faves3000 Level 2: Koopa

The Pacifist's Challenge is very simple. Beat the game, but defeat as few enemies as possible.
    • You can play as any character
    • You can use warp zones
    • Bowser does not count
    • Weapons like Samus' Freeze Beam are allowed, as long as an enemy isn't killed with it.
    Allowed Cheats:
    • Any "Classic" Cheat
    • Infinite Time
    • Infinite Lives
    You can even record how many enemies you defeat and post it here. Have fun! :D

ThomasMink and sbq92 like this.
  2. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Looks like fun. :)

I do have a couple of comments on it. I would argue that turning a Parakoopa into a Koopa should only be considered "defeating" it if it falls into a pit as a result. Otherwise, you haven't actually defeated the enemy. I'm also not sure if infinite lives needs to be on. It makes this less of an actual challenge when you don't have to worry about game overs.

TheomanZero, Rey D and MissingNo2 like this.
  3. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

I know he used the word 'defeat', but with it being called 'The Pacifist's Challenge' I can totally see his reasoning in regards to the Parakoopas. You're firing your weapon (or whatever) in an aggressive manner to make an enemy lose its wings.
    A normal Koopa in its shell isn't really 'defeated' either, as it can pop back out a few seconds later. :)

However, I do agree with the infinite lives.

sbq92 likes this.
  4. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I figured the shelled Koopas counted since usually you kick them off screen after shelling them. Good point regarding the Paratroopas, though. Perhaps the rules should simply be "never attack" (and "never stomp" for Mario/Luigi).

5. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

waitdidntthisalreadyexist

6. Alkerion

Alkerion Level 2: Koopa

I'm trying to do this with Ryu, but it is even more difficult than I thought it would be! It feels like I'm playing the other SMB!

I've been recording my progress though, so if you're interested here's the first part, which contains Worlds 1 & 2:

The World 8 levels are giving me so much trouble that I'm taking as long to beat just one of them as I did some of the entire early Worlds!

7. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Not in the Challenges sub-forum.

Same here. They've got no mercy.

8. faves3000

faves3000 Level 2: Koopa

See, this is why I allow Infinite Lives.

9. Alkerion

Alkerion Level 2: Koopa

Yes, I see why now! I've managed to finish the challenge with Ryu, but the nightmare that was the beginning of stage 8-2 made me use Infinite Lives for the rest of the game.