The Speedrun Challenge

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by sbq92, Mar 10, 2011.

1. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I decided it was time to create a thread for normal speedruns. I know a normal speedrun isn't as exciting as all the other special challenges out there, but it is still a good challenge and it deserves its own thread.

Here are the rules for this challenge:
    • Permitted Play Modes
      • All Characters | Survival | Single Character | Single Character Random
    • Permitted Difficulty Settings
      • Very Easy | Easy | Normal | Hard | Very Hard
    • Permitted Cheats
      • Classic Samus
      • Classic Screen Scroll
      • Classic Simon
      • Infinite Time
    • Goal
      • Finish the game as quickly as possible (warps are permitted, but you may choose to do the challenge without them, so list whether you used them or not)
        • The timing begins as soon as the level card for 1-1 appears and ends when the final axe is reached
          • The time includes level cards and cutscenes
    What to list upon completion:
    • Final time
    • Play mode, character used (if you played Single Character mode)
    • Difficulty
    • Cheats used
    Have fun with this, and post videos if you have them! :)

2. Captain Knight

Captain Knight Level 6: Lakitu

I'll start this as soon as I can!

This seems easy enough, time to get in my speedrunning chair!

3. sbq92

Don't forget, you've got several different "best times" now. You've got a variety of modes, characters, and difficulties to choose from, so remember to post those along with your time.

You should probably also post which cheats you used. They don't make much of a difference, but for speedrunning purposes I would call "Samus" and "Classic Samus" two "different" characters, and thus best times with them would be different categories as well. :)

4. Captain Knight

Mode : Single Character

Character : Sophia III

Cheats : Infinite Time

Time : 32:16.77

I failed...so much at 5-1...that stupid hammer bros. set with that bullet bill so close together...

nvm, I finished, that's all that I care about :D Hope my time leads up to the rest.

5. sbq92

That's a pretty good time, CK! When I get around to doing these I'm definitely going to have some good competition! :D

With with SOPHIA do you jump off of as many walls as possible to save a bit of time in the long run? I've never timed myself doing that, but I'm pretty sure it's a bit faster to do it that way than to not.

6. Captain Knight

Yea I push off the walls a whole lot, although since I'm not invincible, it's harder to do it. But I think it helps.

P.S. I play with a keyboard...so I'm probably the best keyboard user, IMO.

7. sbq92

Excellent. I love doing that myself. It feels like I'm using some special time-saving maneuver that TASers and other "professional" speedrunners would use. :p

I should point out that I use the keyboard as well, and have been using the keyboard to play games probably for at least 15 years. :p

8. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Hey! That's close to my Ultimate Speedrun Challenge record with Link!! I really suck...

9. Captain Knight

Hate to break it to ya...

I'm just I'M JUST THAT GOOD!!!!

[/brag]

10. sbq92

Just you wait until I start speedrunning. Then you'll be in trouble! :p

11. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

I play it so much with my gamepad that I actually couldn't finish the game in keyboard. And about the challenge, I finally got time to do it, so I'll start in some minutes.

12. Banana Cream Pie

Banana Cream Pie Level 0: Newbie

I did the speed run with Mario on Super Easy. I used invincibility, bouncy pits, and infinite time. I used a stopwatch to record my time, and it was 20:36. I didn't use any warp zones, pipes, or otherwise "secret zones." Good luck beating this record! PS I ran like 80% of the time, and that helped lots in flat levels!!!

13. Captain Knight

Hate to rain on your parade, but you can't do Bouncy Pits and Invincibility cheats. This is just a normal, standard Speedrun. So next time, please don't use ANY cheats besides the ones you can use on the first post.

Good luck next time!
    Captain Knight

14. sbq92

That is indeed a fast time! Captain Knight is right, though. This thread is for the normal speedrun challenge. There is an Ultimate Speedrun Challenge which actually requires the Invincible cheat and allows for Infinite Time. Bouncy Pits is not allowed in that challenge, however.

All the best on your future speedruns, and welcome to the forums! :)

15. Banana Cream Pie

Banana Cream Pie Level 0: Newbie

Oh, oops. I also found a guy who finished the whole game in about 5 minutes! However, they used secret areas and warp zones, but they didn't use cheats.
    Here is the link:
    And I thought I had a pretty good time...:( [sigh]

16. XXRocker

XXRocker Level 1: Goomba

I just tried this Ultimate Speed Run out with Mega Man (had the high jump, invincibility, and infinite time on) and finally finished with a total time of 26 minutes and 45 seconds. SPAM THE SLIDE!

17. sbq92

I've updated the first post, and I thought it wouldn't hurt to bring this basic challenge back to the top now that 2.0 is out. :)