The Survival Challenge

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by TiagoDu, Jan 18, 2012.

1. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

Simplified Rules 3.1.2 Compatible New Scoreboard

I'm a big fan of SMBC so i decided to make a challenge for it.

It's called "Survival Challenge" (Yeah not much creative but it's just a title c'mon)

The concept is this: You play on survival, starting with all the characters alive, and can't revive any of them. The objective is try to finish the game, using any route, and earning as much as you can of what i call "Survival Points", or "SP" for short.
    You earn SP by earning score, lives, and for the state of the characters when you finish the game.

The rules are this: All characters must be alive from the start. To make all the characters alive from the start the game, you need to set the number of lives to 10 on "More Settings".
    1. The "Infinite Time" cheat also has to be activated, to avoid time-related scoring. You will see why later.
    2. Character selection is "bag" random. it's like every character is put inside a bag, then are picked one by one, once the bag empties, it's filled again with the same characters. I've added a "Random" to the bag also. See preparations for how to set up a "bag" random.
    3. Once a character dies, it dies FOREVER (Until the next game, of course)
    4. Try to earn as many SP as possible, as this will be your score at the end of a game. See scoring below for scoring rules.
    5. Did i mention you can't continue?
    6. Also you have to enable "Classic Scrolling" to avoid going back on stages to get points/lives/powerups again.
    Scoring:
    The scoring is a bit complicated at first, but i'm sure you'll handle it.
    It requires manual counting of some things, so attention to those.
    1. Each life you have at the end of the game counts 1 SP
    2. Each 100000 Points you have at the end earns you 1 SP. Plus, if you have hit the Score Limit (999950), add yourself another SP.
    3. At the end of the game, the state of the characters gives you more SP as follows: A dead one give nothing. An unpowered one gives 0.5 SP. A mushroom powered one gives 1 SP. If you're playing with Classic powerups, a Fire Flower powered one gives 2 SP
    Preparations:
    The preparations are a bit tricky but read and perform correctly that everything will be alright.
    1. If you haven't earned the Infinite Time and Classic Scrolling cheats do this...cheat to enable them.
    2. Enable the three cheats i mentioned and go play on survival, but don't change the difficulty settings apart from the lives, which you need to set to 10 to revive all the characters. You can choose between Classic and Modern powerups, but you can't customize the weapons.
    3. Revive all the characters, but don't overpower anyone.
    4. Now comes the tricky part. Remember i told you i was going to explain how to do a "bag" random? Well, here's how: go here and put all the characters on the list, plus a "Random" item. After this, click on "Randomize" and select characters as they appear on the list, from first to last. After the list ends, go back to the "setup" page, scrap any dead characters from the list, and randomize it again. (Tip: If you have only one character left, don't even bother doing randomization, as you know what the outcome will be).
    Rule Variations:
    If you want to make some changes to the ruleset, i can put your variation here. Just post the name of the variation (optional) and the changes you wanna make, ok?

Q&A:

Q - Why using "bag" random?
    A - I found the random.org's list randomizer better because it doesn't overuses any character. I added a "Random" to the list for fun.

Q - I can't count things manually while i play! What can i do?
    A - Make sure you have some place to write down your SP count.

Q - Too much rules, too much preparation, too complicated! What can i do?
    A - If you want to make a variation of the rules or make a suggestion to the official, feel free to do so. only don't hate post, ok?

Q - Can i play with "All Hammer Bros." Cheat activated?
    A - Sure, but it will be marked as unofficial (unless the cheats are on a variation) and you have to mention the cheats you used if you wanna post your SP here.

Q - If all my characters die, my SP will still count?
    A - Yes, but it will be marked as unofficial and, if you wanna post it here, mention where you died.

Q - So i can take any path i want?
    A - Yes, but mind that if you get a shorter path, you will lose points/lives/powerups on this.

Q - Can i use the Classic Powerups?
    A - Yes, you can. You can't customize them, however, and while scoring will be official, there will be a separate scoreboard for it.

Q - I don't like this challenge!
    A - First, this isn't a question. Second, then why do you are still reading?

Scoreboard:

Currently 0v3rh4ul1ng, please wait.

Disclaimer:
    I made this challenge because i wanted to do some original challenge with original rules and such. Also wanted other method of scoring aside that on the game.
    Please feel free to post about suggestions, corrections and impressions (and scores, of course!)
    I know there's a challenge thread on the forum but this would be too extensive for just a post so...
    Also, this is the first time i make a challenge, so if it feels unbalanced at some point, post a suggestion and i will see what i can do, ok?

Well, good luck on the challenge!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
    pdba and sbq92 like this.
  2. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I like this challenge idea! It's unique and interesting without being absurd and weird. I'd like to try it, but I don't have the time right now.

I will point out that it appears as though the power-up system is changing in 2.0, which means you'll need to revise the challenge. The whole SP system will probably still work, a few things will just need revision (e.g., I don't think fire flowers are going to function the same way as before).

TiagoDu likes this.
  3. TiagoDu

Thanks for aproving my challenge. I hope to see your scores soon!;)
    Yeah i found that things will change a lot on 2.0 so i will have to revise it after it's out. But until there, enjoy as it is!
    There's some ideas i have to make it 2.0 compatible:
    1 - Remove the Fire Flower Scoring entirely.
    2 - Find a way to universally apply this type of scoring
    3 - Make character specific rules (I disaprove this myself because it will only make things more complicated and will take a time to balance every character.)
    If you have any ideas, be sure to show them.:)

4. Omegaman

Omegaman Level 6: Lakitu

It sounds very awesome,
    but I don't do challenges.
    I'd do challenges if I had a recorder, though.

5. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Here you go:
    [​IMG]

DiggaDawg and KirbySkinMaker like this.
  6. Omegaman

Omegaman Level 6: Lakitu

What?

7. TiagoDu

No need for recording, you can just post your total SP here.
    Also, i'm being a lazy guy for not updating for 2.0, but i'll do it today

8. Faruga

Patron

It's a recorder.
    :D

9. TiagoDu

DONE! Updated for 2.0!

10. Faruga

Patron

And for Ryu, Samus, Bill and Simon, "fully powered" means...?

11. TiagoDu

Ops, forgot that. Maybe i'll just scrap the "Fully Powered" from the scoring

12. Captain Rizer

Captain Rizer Level 5: Spiny

Can we get Higher SP for the Higher the difficulty?
    Like this:

Very Easy: No SP
    Easy: 0.5 SP
    Normal: 1 SP
    Hard: 2 SP
    Very Hard- 3 SP

Also I ran into this problem I have infinte lives on how am I supposed to start the game? I just keep powering them up cause your supposed to run out of lives first to chose a character remember? (EDIT NEVERMIND lol)

13. TiagoDu

Like, for alive characters? Maybe, but this would somewhat break Very Easy plays, because you start with 10 Lives, so you start with -10 SP

I think you can exit the "Revive Screen" by pressing attack button (X)

14. Captain Rizer

Captain Rizer Level 5: Spiny

How about this you don't use the starting lives bonus from any difficulty but the higher the difficulty the better end game SP you earn? That or the lower the difficulty subtracts from your final SP so very easy gives you 10 lives so at the end it subtracts 10 SP from your final score.

15. TiagoDu

Ok, maybe like this: The state of the charactes at the end of the game multiplied/divided by the difficulty scalar.

Very Easy - Divide by 4
    Easy ------- Divide by 2
    Normal ---- As It Is
    Hard ------- Multiply by 2
    Very Hard - Multiply By 4

So if you get a character alive with a mushroom at the end of a Very Hard game, you get 4 SP instead of 1 SP. If it's at Very Easy, you get 0.25 SP instead
    How about this?

16. TiagoDu

A little bump too see if people come to be intrested on the challenge. I put some effort on making the rules so it's a little sad to not having anyone try it. (Not that i wasn't expecting it, this is an internet forum anyway. Things can get forgotten very fast.)

17. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I'll try whenever I can. Probably tomorow.

18. pdba

pdba Level 2: Koopa

Just did this challenge. Really enjoyed it. :) Thanks.

19. TiagoDu

WOW, i just forgot about this already. Even i didn't try it.
    Also, i don't know if this is compatible with the latest bugfixes, but i think everything is OK
    And, THANKS FOR TRYING, it's really good to see someone praising your effort. ;)

EDIT: Also, do you know how much SP you earned? This way i'll be able to start a scoreboard!

20. pdba

pdba Level 2: Koopa

i forgot... gotta re-go. haha