Request The "Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link" Link / Adult Link Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Scorpion42, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Zunar

Zunar Level 5: Spiny

Ah, so someone already pointed that out? Sorry, I didn't know about that. Though, I'm really glad I'm not the only one who notices things. Thanks for pointing that out. ;)

Faruga likes this.
  2. davicoro

davicoro Level 1: Goomba

I have did not see the sprites so i upload them... I also make a custom one(two) for the climbing... I dislike too the way that link climb in smx

Zelda2LinkWc.png

Mitewing likes this.
  3. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

Thanks to 2.0 he can be very unique.

If he gets a mushroom his sword can shoot beams. Picking up a Magic Container would add four blocks on your magic bar making it up to 8. The original's max magic was 8.

He would have to rely on his magic meter. With the special button he can select spells and use them. Of course he would need to be balanced. So that means no fairy magic to beat the level easy. I think the most useful spells would be Fire, Reflect, Thunder and maybe Jump. How would Shield work? because right now it's useless in SMBC unless we can make it work.

These ideas are good but might need work and balancing.

Oh if you want 16-bit sprites he has nicely made ones in SMBX.

Scorpion42 likes this.
  4. mitsymckenzie777

mitsymckenzie777 Level 6: Lakitu

Well like I said in the other thread shield could work like the Varia Suit that Samus has. Fairy could work without being overpowered if timed to a few seconds and eats up magic like four bars for 5 to 10 seconds of flight and note Link can still take damage as a fairy. Believe in me I've died many times toward the end of Zelda 2 trying to get through the final caves in the game before the final palace.

ThomasMink and Crownjo like this.
  5. the8thark

the8thark Level 0: Newbie

I will second this. I would like to see Zelda 2 link in this game. In version 1.o of the game it was like huh? Zelda 2 music but a Zelda 1 Link? Also Zelda 2 link would work better then the current Zelda 1 Link.

Link already has upthrust and down thrust and that little throw sword attack. And when you upgrade him more (in version 2) you can add the fire spell. And also maybe the jump spell and reflect spell for the hammers/fireballs.

I just think Zelda 2's Link would work way better in this game then the current Zelda 1 Link.

6. Crownjo

Don't assume he "works better" then Zelda 1 Link. He works good in his own way.

7. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

The most unique thing about Link is that he is only one tile large all of the time. Zelda II Link is two tiles tall, like almost everybody else.

8. mitsymckenzie777

Five letters M-A-G-I-C imagine casting the Reflect spell and shooting Bowser with his own fire. AWESOME!
    Now that's unique.

9. mitsymckenzie777

I don't think I ever thought mentioned this before seeing that Majora's Mask counter for the Mayan apocalypse but if Adult link is added a great skin would be...

fierce_deity_link.jpg

Omicron, Scorpion42 and World 1-1 like this.
  10. Crownjo

Haha you bumped this topic. Glad to see interest in this version of Link.

11. mitsymckenzie777

Here are some example sprites for if Adult Link was using a Fierce Deity skin.
    Fierce Deity Link.png
    EDIT: I know they probably aren't considerable as 16 bit and defentently not 8 bit but like I said it's just an example.

World 1-1, Crownjo and ZeroXBeoulve like this.
  12. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

Yeah, I'd really suggest using 16-bit colors. That mostly looks like a mess. But it's a really cool skin idea for a really cool character (idea).

13. mitsymckenzie777

I'll look into doing that one day but for now I have more Ideas for this characters skins as well...

Terra and Celes skins from Final Fantasy 6. With Shadow being the first and only Final Fantasy so far it would be great for these two if Adult Link was added. Why?

Terra uses swords and Fire like Adult Link would. Why Celes?

Just to give another FF6 option other than Shadow and Terra if added. And how would Celes work?

Just change the fire sprites to ice sprites. Being Blizzard was her starting spell.

But Fierce Deity,Terra and Celes would only be best for skins if Adult Link gets added. So hopefully this may get more support for his return... Maybe.

14. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I've long been of the opinion that adding Zelda II Link would be stupid because being only one tile tall is one of the most unique things about Link, and this would just take that away.
    However, now that v2.1 introduced skins that significantly differ from the original characters in terms of gameplay, this might work as a Link skin, and I would be kind of interested in that.

MissingNo2 likes this.
  15. 8bitwizard

8bitwizard Level 5: Spiny

I guess a skin for regular link (or some other character) would be much better.
    and p.s. i'm back!

16. Zunar

I honestly think Adult Link would be easier to program as a skin for Simon, even though it might be confusing to have to scroll through Simon's skins for an alternate version of Link.

17. mitsymckenzie777

Well I disagree Simon has too many different things from Adult Link for one the long whip in comparison to Links shorter sword and the abilities.

Simon's sub weapons vs Links Magic...
    No upward/downward thrusts...

Also I think another excuse commonly used is the shitting jump sprite. Peach's crouching sprite looks like she is pissing and Simon's jump looking like he's shitting it's about the only thing in common with Adult Link.

There has to be a deeper reason of why this character is hated at least gameplay wise and even that could be fixed. But I don't think it's gonna work right as a skin regardless of who it's for except Link and Adult Link is too tall for that. Plus there are so many possibilities look at the Terra skin idea Terra could change into her esper form with the fairy spell. Also the other spells that may seem useless could work if creativity is used such as Spell all enemies but Bowser and Spike Tops would turn into Goomba's. Fairy may seem overpowered but after casting can drain the magic meter besides it's useless in some areas like Lakitu levels but could be a blessing in others. Thunder could half Bowser but sacrifice a large amount of magic that it's one use only. Shield could act like Samus' Varia Suit but only per one level til casted again. Jump well we all know what it would do. Life like thunder could take a large amount of magic and give Adult Link an extra hit like a second mushroom. Fire shoot fireballs. Reflect could reflect Bowser's fireballs depending on if they hit Adult Link's shield. All this could work great if given a chance.

Crownjo likes this.
  18. Zunar

You do have a point, mitsy. I have to agree with you, Adult Link having his magic would really be helpful. And because of the modified engine in 2.1, Adult Link probably wouldn't take that much work, due to similar mechanics of Link. The up/down thrust, random drops (only when Adult, enemies would drop magic pots instead of bombs and arrows), the shield, etc.

Although personally, I don't really see a use for the Fairy spell except to skip portions of the level, which really isn't useful, except for maybe speed-runners. The other spells are fine, though, except maybe Spell. Sure, turning enemies into Goombas might be comical, but it really doesn't have an effect on gameplay in my opinion. I'd rather use that magic on healing myself.

mitsymckenzie777 and Scorpion42 like this.
  19. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

Turning enemies into goombas would be insanely helpful. The cloud koopa whose name I can't remember right now is a pain in the arse. Unless it wouldn't work on him...

Chrono might work as a skin, too, although maybe he'd have to use custom sprites. I just thought that he was tall and had a sword, so...

20. mitsymckenzie777

Well the Fairy spell you may be right on that's why it would be limited and I'd say another idea for it is limit it one use per level. Spell may or may not be a blessing whether or not the Goomba thing would be fair under Hard and Extreme modes in which if not fair all armored enemies Bullet Bill's and Buzzy Beetles could not be affected by Spell either...

But it would be useful turning a Hammer Brother into a Goomba and in some cases Koopas especially the Parakoopas not to mention an easy way to get a Lakitu off your tail for a little while. But it's up to Jay how the spells would function and if any would be excluded.

Oh and Chrono. While a good idea might work better for Ryu. While Frog would suit Adult Link or maybe even Link due to smaller sprite. Maybe Magus for Adult Link? :joy: