Theme Skins

Discussion in 'Skins' started by uglyrodent, Jan 17, 2012.

1. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Thread for theme skins.

As usual, I'm kicking it off with Doomed Kingdom:
    [​IMG]

huang17, Anon421, mariobros2 and 3 others like this.
  2. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

It's all looking really great so far, I really like the bottom left one, and the sad rain clouds :p

3. Thunder Wing

Thunder Wing Level 2: Koopa
    Patron

Super Mario World Theme Skin

[​IMG]

No idea what to use for bridges... Needs some other changes too, but no idea what.

huang17, Anon421, FCx and 3 others like this.
  4. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Well, even if it's not complete yet, it already looks good!

Thunder Wing and Mitewing like this.
  5. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

I want to make some themes, but of all the skins they intimidate me the most XD

6. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

The map and theme skins still confuse me. I'd like to make a request though. I'd love to see a "Classic Mario" theme. Basically, what if SMB combined the appearance of previous Mario games. Combining all the 8-bit Donkey Kongs with the original Mario Bros and Wrecking Crew would be interesting to see.

7. silentshadowxp

I'm actually working on a Donkey Kong skin, but I made it back when I first discovered Sonic Boll. I haven't gotten around to finishing it and it's all going to need to be converted to the appropriate skins later, but here's a taste:

[​IMG]

The blue pipe is based off of the oil can in the first level of the arcade DK, the star is actually a DK enemy, and there's DK Jr sprites as well. This was for an old version of sonic boll, so I'm not sure if it still works or not. Like I said though, it's a work in progress.

And yes, theme skins are confusing. They interest me a lot after seeing the Mario Land 2 themes in the update trailer, and I feel like I'll have a better understanding of them after playing 2.0... but as of right now, I'm definitely intimidated :\" title=

Mitewing and Thunder Wing like this.
  8. hunter2258

hunter2258 Level 2: Koopa

Here is a SMW Skin I made:
    [​IMG]

Anon421, Thunder Wing, Draken and 5 others like this.
  9. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Looks great! :D

Theme skins can actually be more elaborate than just four different themes. My Zelda II theme was 16 or 17 different themes on a single sheet. The sheet posted in the templates is just an example. :)

10. hunter2258

Oh. Thank you for telling me that. I'll have to look more in to it later.

11. silentshadowxp

I'm liking it! As sbq92 said, you can make several different themes and pretty much choose what level they go with. Look at the SMB3 skin already in the game for example, it has well over 8 themes, one for each world, one for castles, one for underground, and one for underwater. There's probably even more than that.

You may want to try to get backgrounds for these as well. They pretty much just looped a relatively short picture, but some had two or three pictures it would swap between to animate it. For example, I'm pretty sure haunted houses had the background animate lanterns on the wall. On that note, may I suggest a haunted house theme?

As for making the coral bones, I'm pretty sure they don't stack, but rather they animate between those. So how you have those set up might not work. You might ask Ryuza just to check though. Oh and what are the trees are supposed to be?

SMW is a tough one to skin, because there's just so much, but you're doing great so far. If you need any help with it just let us know, there's several of us here that like to help out with this type of stuff.

ChozoBoy likes this.
  12. hunter2258

Thanks. Now that I know that I can expand it, I'm gonna go all out!

sbq92 and silentshadowxp like this.
  13. hunter2258

TheomanZero likes this.
  14. silentshadowxp

Awesome! Let us know if you need any help putting all of that into the official skin sheets. Are you going to make a map skin as well?

15. hunter2258

Well, I don't know how I'm suppose to put them into the official sheet sense there are so many themes. If I could see an example on what to do, I'd gladly transfer them over.

16. silentshadowxp

You see how the theme skins have four places? Copy the bottom two, and paste it below everything. I'm pretty sure that's how to set it up for that.

Example:
    Example.png

I'm pretty sure that would be sufficient, and if it's not right, at least it will all be in one sheet for Ryuza to edit.

17. hunter2258

Thank you! I'll get to it later. I'm actually playing SMC right now. XD

18. silentshadowxp

That's actually a legitimate excuse lol

19. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

The theme sheets actually go in rows of four, so that SMB SNES theme sheet could (should?) actually be on a single line rather than 2x2.

20. silentshadowxp

Ah, my bad. I was just guessing based on the example skin they gave us. Didn't know they had said to do it in rows of 4.