Theme Skins

Discussion in 'Skins' started by uglyrodent, Jan 17, 2012.

1. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I'll look into the actual graphical things, but any recoloring can simply be done through our palette system, so those don't necessarily need to be done on the sheets.

2. Mariofan5000

Mariofan5000 Level 6: Lakitu

Everything.PNG
    I made this sheet like forever ago (I actually don't remember how long ago it was) which has everything related to Super Mario Bros. except for Super Mario Bros. Special, Super Boy series and backgrounds. The pallets should help you check and (hopefully) make SMBC more accurate to the originals.

Faruga likes this.
  3. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

Working on a rather huge Theme/Map skin:
    Yoshi Scrap 2.png
    Who knows what it is? ;)

4. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

Yoshi's Island.

Dimpsy, silentshadowxp and Mitewing like this.
  5. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

The Warp Pipe is a dead giveaway! Someone needs to make Baby Mario-Luigi/Yoshi skins, like NOW!

6. Dimpsy

Dimpsy Level 9: Spike Top

I've already made a Yoshi skin for Simon, and I recall seeing Baby Mario and possibly Luigi skins around too.
    Though, my Yoshi skin is currently only 8-bit, but his 16-bit skin WILL be based on his Yoshi's Island appearance.

Mitewing likes this.
  7. silentshadowxp

Indeed it is! You know, at first I was content with just making an enemy skin for it ages ago, but then I found out that you have to have a complete set (Map/Theme/Enemy/Interface) if you want any chance of it getting in Crossover. So because I loved the enemies from Yoshi's Island so much, I figured I'd take a shot at it.

At first, it looked impossible. The sprites are wayyy too big to use in skins. But then when I was looking through Yoshi's Island maps, I found the answer to making a theme skin. While the ground itself is impossible to skin, the sides and bottoms of walls/ceilings are actually quite simple. And when flipped or turned, they look just like ground. So if anything looks off when looking at these, it's because I did what I had to to make it fit as a skin. But despite all that, I actually think it's turning out really awesome!

There's still a LOT of work to do on the skins, but I'm making progress! I'm really hoping that these might one day make it into crossover, because I feel as though they would be an awesome addition. Especially when looking at the beautiful backgrounds from the game, because this game is beautiful!

ThomasMink and Mitewing like this.
  8. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

If you noticed the pattern, skins sets based on Mario based games have associated Mario/Luigi skins. So if skins based on SMW2 are created and done well, this greatly increases the chance that they're added.

Dimpsy likes this.
  9. Malev

Malev Level 0: Newbie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Working on a Kid Icarus themed tileset with a least multiple dungeon sets. Here's sort of a half-finished map set. Also working on some of the enemies.

10. Malev

Malev Level 0: Newbie

[​IMG]
    Anyone working on a SML3: Wario Land theme skin set?

david lindo maldonado and Dimpsy like this.
  11. silentshadowxp

Finished!
    Yoshi\'s Island Theme.png

Open it in a new tab/window to get a better look!
    Edit: Also, there are several other palettes for these themes

Develon, Goomba98, Mitewing and 3 others like this.
  12. Goomba98

Goomba98 Level 3: Paratroopa

I love you.

13. silentshadowxp

So as I mentioned in the Enemy Skins thread, I've been working on a Pokemon skin set. I worked on the enemy skin for it, and it turned out pretty darn cool, but the theme skin is turning out far too bland for me to really want to finish it. This is a shame, because I'd love to try to get the enemy skin in the game, but I just don't feel as though the theme skin is good enough for me to really continue. For those interested, here is what I have so far for the theme skin:
    Pokemon Theme Skin.png
    (Click the image to make it more visible.)

I've started 5 themes so far. I used sprites from Red and Blue (because I used first gen Pokemon for the enemies), but it looked too bland. I then tried to use the color palette from Silver and Gold to spice it up a bit (since those were designed with the GBC's color palette in mind), but even then it looked too bland. I'm really not sure what I could do to it to make it look interesting or unique.

What are your opinions, suggestions, or comments? Does anyone have any ideas? If I can't think of anything else, I might just give up on this skin. If that's the case, I don't mind other people continuing where I left off. I might try seeing if I can come up with anything good for the map skin and come back to this later after I get some feedback.

Edit: I'm short on any good ideas for the map skin too. I'll just wait for comments on this.

14. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

What about using Fire Red/Leaf Green tiles?

15. silentshadowxp

Well Soul Silver and Heart Gold were where I found the sprites for the enemy skin, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to take a look at Fire Red and Leaf Green.

TheomanZero likes this.
  16. silentshadowxp

Updated arcade themes! Arcade Theme.png

17. Mariofan5000

Theme based on SMBDX:
    Theme_0000.png Details in my post in the Map Skins thread.

18. Mariofan5000

Super_Boy.png
    Theme skin based on Super Boy and Super Boy II for MSX.
    Uploading this took waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay longer than it should've. Stupid wireless internet flipping me off.

Develon and Faruga like this.
  19. superevelingltigyy10

superevelingltigyy10 Level 1: Goomba

ddp

Attached Files:

Mitewing likes this.
  20. Protoman_ Master

Protoman_ Master Level 1: Goomba

my first experience in pixel art, is not completed but is cool, i think.
    Bonus: Map Skin.

Attached Files: