Theme Skins

Discussion in 'Skins' started by uglyrodent, Jan 17, 2012.

1. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Actually, I don't know if they said anywhere that it's supposed to be like that. Ryuza told me when I was asking him a million questions about making themes. :p

2. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

Ah, ok then. Thought I had missed something.

3. hunter2258

hunter2258 Level 2: Koopa

[​IMG]
    If I'm correct (which I hope I am) this should be right!

EDIT: Also for the Mushrooms, there is 3 colors, and I didn't know where else to put them. That's why they are in the corner.

4. Thunder Wing

Thunder Wing Level 2: Koopa
    Patron

Wow, you have a lot there :joy:

hunter2258 likes this.
  5. hunter2258

Just trying to give it more of a SMW feel. ^^

silentshadowxp likes this.
  6. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Heh heh . . . mole hole.

silentshadowxp and Thunder Wing like this.
  7. silentshadowxp

I'd say that should be sufficient. Ryuza can work with that just fine I'm sure. I can't like this enough! I'd say it's probably ready to be submitted once you finish the map skin for it. When you do submit it, I'd suggest adding in the description the link to your photobucket and explain that the backgrounds are on there.

Oh, and don't forget to add that Mario skin of yours to the wiki as well!

8. hunter2258

Don't worry. I'm working on the Map at this very moment. It will all be posted at once!

9. silentshadowxp

At this point, is it pretty much pointless to work on Mega Man level skins? The auto-tiler has already had several levels from the series (including my favorite stage, snake man ^_^), but I have no clue who made those and whether or not they finished those. I'm assuming it might have been Ryuza who made them but I have no idea if he would have finished them since they weren't in 2.0. Perhaps they wanted to hold some off until a later update?

10. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

The auto-tiler was just to get a feel for the appearances of the stages. The images made using the auto-tiler are essentially just mock-ups. There are currently no Mega Man themes made.

The Mega Man level skins are quite tricky. Most Mega Man stage graphics follow a different pattern than is normally possible in SMBC. Mega Man stage graphics tend to follow a 'repeating 2-tile' pattern or an 'edge-2-tile-edge' pattern, whereas SMBC requires an edge-middle-edge pattern. Some Mega Man stages can do this, but a lot of the iconic stages can't, including things such as the platforms in Air Man's stage with the little gremlin faces on them. I've attempted some sheets, but it just gets frustrating because making themes and such is a lot of work anyway, and then piling complicated patterns on top of that just makes that much worse. I'd like to try some more, though. I certainly have plans, it's just a matter of taking the time to figure out how to make those plans work.

Now, an alternative option is to make the entire stage built around the background (i.e., essentially use the invisible skins as your main themes, but have the platforms and ground built into the background). I've asked Zach and Jay about this, though, and Jay has basically said it would take up too much space to build the entire thing out of background images. Still, though, some of the stages that can work using the normal system could be used, and then the rest could be made using background images. I'll have to look into how many stages would require backgrounds and see if it's actually feasible.

ThomasMink and silentshadowxp like this.
  11. silentshadowxp

You know, I've had similar thoughts about how much more capable the background is at representing things than the theme/map skin itself, but I had never considered building the entire level with a background while using an invisible theme/map skin. It's a shame that something like that would take up too much space, because that's actually pretty clever.

nickreaper and ThomasMink like this.
  12. nickreaper

nickreaper Level 6: Lakitu

Is anyone anywhere working on a Castlevania level skin pack? I'd be willing to start one. It'd be a good change from the character skins I've been doing.

Rey D, ThomasMink and silentshadowxp like this.
  13. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

That would be great! I'm actually tired of seeing the character skins get all the attention (not that I don't want any). I'd like to see map/theme/enemy skins to get more attention.

14. nickreaper

So is this thread for anything map related? I've made a few background graphics, but I'm not sure if this is where to post them.

15. Mitewing

There is a separate thread for Map Skins.

16. nickreaper

Can you just send me a link to it?

17. Mitewing

It's on the 1st page of the Skins forum, near the top.

18. silentshadowxp

Actually, I'm pretty sure that backgrounds are paired with themes.

19. nickreaper

Wait, what's the difference between map skins and theme skins?

20. silentshadowxp

Here's an example of themes:
    Theme_Example_Skin_Template.png

And here's an example of Maps:
    Map_Skin_Template.png

The tiles in the map skins are universal (same in every level), whereas the tiles in the themes are only in individually chosen levels. You pair up backgrounds with the appropriate theme in order to have the background match the level.