Theme Skins

Discussion in 'Skins' started by uglyrodent, Jan 17, 2012.

1. nickreaper

nickreaper Level 6: Lakitu

But one can't properly exist without the other, so shouldn't they be the same? I mean, nobody would just make a map skin and not a theme skin, it wouldn't match up right.

Edit: And how do you match the backgrounds with the themes? How do you even submit backgrounds to the wiki? I haven't seen any yet.

uglyrodent likes this.
  2. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

That's why I suggested combining the theme and map skin threads in a different thread. You need to make both, or else it doesn't work. They are both linked in game. I might bring this up with Alice.

As for submitting backgrounds, they haven't done anything for that yet. What I suggest is to make a post about your themes somewhere on the forums (i guess preferably here), and then post your backgrounds along with it. Explain in the post which background goes with which theme. When you go to post your theme to the wiki, add a link in the description to your forum post with an explanation about how it contains backgrounds and further information about them.

3. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Some people might make a map and not a theme, or vice versa. I could see it happening. Maybe they want to combine a game with the Mushroom Kingdom (like Mega Man with Mushroom Kingdom influences) so they keep the MK map.

As for the backgrounds, I agree. This baffles me, as does submitting multiple themes per map. The wiki COULD handle a link to each individual one, but it would become cumbersome given the way the tables are laid out.

4. silentshadowxp

In game they are both linked though. You don't have the choice to choose them separately. Even via the wiki, you have to submit them together.

5. nickreaper

Submit them where?

6. uglyrodent

The wiki.

7. silentshadowxp

More specifically, here.

uglyrodent likes this.
  8. nickreaper

I don't see any backgrounds here whatsoever.

9. uglyrodent

There aren't any. But that's where you submit skins.

10. nickreaper

I'm asking how to submit backgrounds.

11. silentshadowxp

You didn't read the second half of my post earlier. -.-;

There is no official way yet, but this is what I'd suggest.

12. nickreaper

I think I'll just wait for them to add a way to submit backgrounds...that or...I don't know...I'll go lay in the bed and cry for a bit.

silentshadowxp and uglyrodent like this.
  13. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I don't get what you're talking about. Map and Theme both have two separate columns. There's nothing forcing someone to upload a theme at hte same time they upload a map. The idea is that there are general thematic sets of sprites (ex. castlevania styled) so if you're posting a castlevania map, it should probably go in the castlevania set, along with the castlevania theme, and the castlevania enemies, and the castlevania interface. But it's not some sort of critical mandate that both have to be uploaded at the same time.

If you can clarify what you meant by that, please do.

14. silentshadowxp

We were talking about where backgrounds for themes are supposed to be submitted, and how there is no place on the wiki for them.

15. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

If you really need to, you could simply pack up the backgrounds in a zip file with a readme.txt explaining which backgrounds go with which levels, and just send it to Zach or Jay, but you should probably make sure the themes and such are posted first.

16. nickreaper

You know what? I don't even wanna do this anymore. So much fuckin' confusion. I feel like Hellen Keller trying to design a video game.

silentshadowxp likes this.
  17. silentshadowxp

I agree that posting backgrounds is a pain. Why don't you just go ahead and post them here?

18. sbq92

Problem solved. I added a column to the skin sets chart for uploading backgrounds. There are instructions in the example row explaining that you should link to a .zip file that includes a readme.txt with information about which background goes with which level. :)

19. silentshadowxp

Why do that when it's as simple as linking a forum post with all of that stuff? Look at my Zelda Level skin post to see what I'm talking about.

20. sbq92

I suppose it doesn't have to a zip file; it could just be links to the images.

silentshadowxp likes this.