Theme Skins

Discussion in 'Skins' started by uglyrodent, Jan 17, 2012.

1. nickreaper

nickreaper Level 6: Lakitu

How can I even know how many backgrounds there are in the game? Is there an individual one for all 32 worlds, one for each themed world like one for daytime, one for nighttime, one for underground, one for underwater, one for Bowser's castle, and one for Coin Heaven? You know, like the way music works.

2. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

However many you want, at least one and at most 32. Play through Crossover with the SNES graphics and you'll get a better idea of how they work. They're paired up with the themes.

sbq92 likes this.
  3. nickreaper

Uuuggggghhhh....Forget it. I'm sorry I ever came to this thread.

4. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Technically, there are a few more than 32. There are 32 levels, but you can also have a separate one for each underground area (5 or 6, I think), a separate one for each coin heaven (3?) and separate ones for the underwater bonus areas (2?) and actually the underwater section in 8-4 is technically a different map, and can thus have a separate background.

So, you're looking at close to 45 different backgrounds maximum. However, space is a concern. That many backgrounds will run up a pack that's too large to use. You can easily reuse backgrounds (e.g., use the same background for all underground levels and bonus areas), and you could create themes for each world and get away with using only 8-12 backgrounds. :)

For an idea of sizes, Zach told me the "SMB1 SNES" pack is around 200k, and my Zelda II pack has 22 background images plus theme file, which is about 155k (not including map and interface, but those are pretty small).

silentshadowxp likes this.
  5. silentshadowxp

But I'm curious about what your backgrounds were! Anticlimactic!

6. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

My Zelda II pack was a lot of work, but I worked on it alone. Perhaps you could/should collaborate with someone on your Castlevania pack. It would take a lot of the pressure off.

7. nickreaper

castlevania background1.png Casltevania Map Skins.png
    There, that's all I've done. And I'm not even sure if they would work correctly.

Mitewing, sbq92 and silentshadowxp like this.
  8. silentshadowxp

I'd assume they would. They look good btw. I wouldn't give up on it just because it's a pain to submit though, we'll all help with that.

sbq92 likes this.
  9. nickreaper

I want to make an Enemy skin pack too, but Dracula is literally twice the size of Bowser. So, either I'd have to use somebody else, or make him a midget.

10. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Did you guys make a map yet?
    I made this ages ago and don't know if I put it up yet:
    CV1 map.png

11. nickreaper

Oh, hey, a Castlevania map skin. Maybe we could work together on it....tomorrow...and after. It's almost 4AM where I am.

Mitewing likes this.
  12. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

With Map skins, has anyone thought of replacing Toad and Peach with characters from the respective universe?

13. nickreaper

I have, but I can't think of who in Castlevania could replace them. And why are there two Toads on the skin file?

14. silentshadowxp

So that he can be animated if you choose.

15. Dimpsy

Dimpsy Level 9: Spike Top

I am working on a Mega Man Map skin and gonna do the same for Theme and stuff.
    [​IMG]
    I got some things done just need ideas for others.

16. silentshadowxp

Well, me and sbq92 were coming up with some ideas for this as well, so if we ever make one ourselves that differs from yours you can't go off on us like you sometimes do when others make something you already have. Just a bit of forewarning :p

Edit: that doesn't mean you have to stop working on it, there's no reason we both can't work on our own separate ones.

17. nickreaper

If multiple people are working on the same idea, can't they just combine work? It's not about who makes the skin, it's about getting it made and put in the game.

Mitewing and uglyrodent like this.
  18. silentshadowxp

That's not really what I meant. It was simply that I've seen him get rather upset before for someone else using an idea that he already started. I just wanted him to know that if we do work on it, it's nothing personal against him. Though I do agree collaboration is a good thing.

Mitewing likes this.
  19. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Toad could be any NPC from CV2. Don't know about the Princess. Toad says the infamous line "Sorry but our princess is in another castle". I don't know if that can be easily edited by Jay when the character in question is not a princess.

20. silentshadowxp

I was wondering the same thing. Also, what happens when you play on random? One second you're princess is in another castle, and the next it's Jason's frog you're looking for XD

This is why I personally feel it should always be the princess, but that's just me. Or at least be the princes if you have random levels selected.

Side note: Samus should look for the Metroid hatchling with a cute little heart above it's head. I think that would be adorable XD

Side note 2: I wish that Yoshi's Island wouldn't be such a pain to skin, because the artistic design of the levels was extremely charming!