Theme Skins

Discussion in 'Skins' started by uglyrodent, Jan 17, 2012.

1. nickreaper

nickreaper Level 6: Lakitu

I'd message Zach for that one.

2. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

If Arthur were in the game, he'd be an even better "medieval midget", since he's canonically short rather than just viewed from the top down.

Faruga, nickreaper and Mitewing like this.
  3. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

All this talk about proper character and map skins reminds me of my Story Mode idea. The idea is each world would have predetermined map skins and a predetermined team of 3 like survival mode to tackle each world.

4. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

It's true that there are already several "oddities" in the game already, but there is a difference between expected fantastical game elements and outright illogical situations. Given the nature of the game, it's completely believable to see a guy flying around in a giant tank killing turtles and walking mushrooms, because that's what the game is about, but it would be jarring to see Roll rescue Roll, because that just outright doesn't make sense.

silentshadowxp and Mitewing like this.
  5. nickreaper

Stop talking about this. I'm the lord of Off-Topic conversations, but this is just aggravating.

6. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

This actually isn't off-topic. this is the Theme Skins thread, and this deals with moving something from theme skins to character skins.

However, I will go ahead and say that this discussion can continue either here or here, that way no more discussion of it has to go on in this thread.

sbq92 likes this.
  7. nickreaper

I don't know why, but I just got a weird deja vu feeling. The kind where you feel like you've lived through this same moment before. It's only a moment...but it's something. Pfff...well there goes me and my constant hypocrisy again.

8. Mitewing

For those working on SMB2 theme skins, I have a suggestion. Make a theme based on the silhouettes when you use the potions and enter the doors. It'd be cool if the duplicate levels looked like this.

9. silentshadowxp

You sir are a genius. I second this.

TheomanZero, Mitewing and ChozoBoy like this.
  10. Mitewing

The idea came out of nowhere. Thanks.

silentshadowxp likes this.
  11. silentshadowxp

Mario Bros 3 (SNES) Map/Theme/Interface Skins:
    All Stars 3 Map.png

All Stars 3 Themes.png

SMAS_SMB3_interface.png

Figured I'd go ahead and post these since I need some help finding the animated water (there's two different ones) and lava. I plan on cleaning the Crossover logo up a bit as well. The backgrounds can be found here and here.

This is just a little something that me and Mario-Fan were working on :)

Edit: I realize that TSR's backgrounds aren't all complete (it's only chunks of some). That's the reason I added the page with all of the maps so that it can be copied and pasted. Also note that the clouds are a separate image that scrolls at a different speed.

ChozoBoy, Rey D, ThomasMink and 3 others like this.
  12. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Excellent!

13. silentshadowxp

I'm about halfway done with a Metroid 1 theme skin. I'd post the WIP for you guys, but each theme is in a separate file. I'll post it once I'm finished with it so that it's all in one file.

Also, still need help with the water and fire for the Mario 3 SNES skin.

ThomasMink, 1337star and sbq92 like this.
  14. silentshadowxp

Sorry for the double post. This took a lot of time to finish, but it's finally done. Well, the themes are at least.

Working on the map skin next, and then probably an enemy skin after that. Those should be a LOT easier and quicker than this one.

Attached Files:

15. sbq92

Looks great! :D

Man, making themes really does take a long time! I'd love to more, but they just take so much planning and organizing, as well as the sheer amount of time it takes to make the themes themselves.

Fortunately, in the case of Metroid, every background is black, so you don't have to worry about trying to fit custom backgrounds into a bunch of levels.

silentshadowxp likes this.
  16. silentshadowxp

You don't know how happy I am that the background is black throughout Metroid. XD There were entirely WAY too many themes in that game!

sbq92 likes this.
  17. Mitewing

Awesome themes! I can't wait to see the rest of your Metroid skins.

18. sbq92

Silentshadow, you've inspired me to take another look at my Zelda II skins, though mainly just the enemy, interface, and map files. In fact, I think I'd like a hand with a few things.

Interface_Zelda_2.png

Alright, the interface. It's basically done, it just needs a Zelda II style title. Anyone want to tackle that? :p

Map_Zelda_2.png

The map sheet is mostly finished. I'm okay with leaving the vine, Bullet Bill cannon, pipes, and flags as they are (there is nothing suitable in Zelda II with which to replace them). However, if someone can come up with a better castle, then the flags could be altered to fit it. Or, the castle could be outright removed, like in the Demon Returns graphics. I also need something for the Poison Mushroom. Also, don't worry about the missing hills. Those kinds of graphics are in the backgrounds, which most stages use instead. Oh, and the axe could potentially be replaced.

Enemy_Skin_Zelda.png

For the enemies, I'm only missing the Blooper and Bowser. Everything is done. Note that I'm not planning on making any changes to the sheets other than what I've specified. That doesn't mean I'm closed off from taking suggestions if there's some good ideas, but I do rather like what I have going on for these sheets.

So, if anyone has any ideas on filling in the gaps, I would be grateful. :)

19. Mitewing

Bowser should be Dark Link from the end of Zelda 2. It wouldnt clash with the character skin because one is a kid and one is an adult. Do you have theme skins made yet?

EDIT: For the blooper, there's something called a Bubble. It's a glowing skull thing. Look on strategywiki for more info.

For the castles, maybe you can customize something using the outer palace and town tiles.

ChozoBoy likes this.
  20. sbq92

I considered that. I'll have to look into it and see if it would work out well.

Yup! Themes were done a couple months ago. Backgrounds were painstakingly included as well. I think you'll like the level graphics. :)

I thought about this one as well. I'll probably give it a try. :)

In case you're wondering, the reason none of this is up on the wiki is because I had done these before the wiki was setup for skins, so I just sent them to Zach directly. When the wiki was setup, I didn't feel there was a need to post them because Zach had them already (and the interface/map/enemy sheets were incomplete, and I thought Zach was going to finish them, but he hasn't, hence the revisiting). However, I'm thinking that if I can get these three sheets done, I'll go ahead and post everything on the wiki so people can see it. :)

Mitewing likes this.