Theme Skins

Discussion in 'Skins' started by uglyrodent, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Yes. You should post everything to the wiki.

2. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I will. :) I was just initially under the impression it might be added soon (a couple months ago...), so I didn't bother.

Mitewing and silentshadowxp like this.
  3. Mitewing

I've noticed many skins don't have interface skins to go with it. Most groups of skins definitely need this to be considered. Is anyone here good at making those? I will post my concern on the Interface thread as well.

ThomasMink likes this.
  4. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

How about a NES RPG theme? With tilesets from all 3 NES Final Fantasies, the NES Dragon Quest games, maybe some of the more interesting tilesets from the 9001 DQ knockoffs...

ChozoBoy likes this.
  5. ChozoBoy

ChozoBoy Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I like it, but you might as well call it a Square Enix set. There are several other RPGs on NES, including Mother.

6. Lilfut

Hence "9001 DQ knockoffs". I'm compiling a potential list.

EDIT: Turns out just FF has enough. Someone who's more familiar with Dragon Quest/Mother/Crystalis/whatever can do that list if they want, but here's more than enough for one skin:
    World Map (All)
    Town (All)
    Castle (All)
    Cave + Palette Swaps (All)
    Chocobo Forest (FF2+FF3)
    Chaos Shrine, et al (FF1)
    Mt. Gulg (FF1)
    Sky Castle (FF1)
    Bofsk Sewer (FF2)
    Snow Cave (FF2)
    Dreadnaught (FF2)
    Leviathan (FF2)
    Jade Portal (FF2)
    Pandaemonium (This one actually has about 6 palette swaps) (FF2)
    Crystal Tower (FF3)
    World Of Darkness (FF3)
    Flooded World (FF3)
    Undersea (FF3)
    Tower of Owen (FF3)
    Castle Hein (FF3)
    Airship (FF3)
    Nepto Shrine (FF3)
    Road to the Summit (FF3)
    Goldor's Mansion (FF3)
    Doga's House (FF3)
    Crystal Chamber(s) (FF3)

There's probably more, but I can't think of them ATM.

7. Lilfut

...Really? Nothing? Ya breakin' mah balls heah.

8. Mitewing

I'm not really familiar with old school FF. I need pics.

9. sbq92

The problem with using RPG graphics is that they are overhead graphics, whereas SMBC is a sidescrolling game. It would take quite a bit of work to make it actually look good.

Mitewing likes this.
  10. Lilfut

I experimented with the FF1 overworld using Sonic Boll's template a while back, actually, and they came out pretty good. I lost the files, unfortunately. If you use walls for floors, it doesn't come out that bad.

sbq92 likes this.
  11. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

Theme_Skin_Template.png
    This system is too damn restrictive

Simon's Quest goes into a lot more detail with the tiling. Tiles vary not only on the 16x16 level but also on the 8x8 level.

The middle, 16x32 bits of rock are supposed to be placed like the ceiling tiles in castle levels. the 8x32 bits above don't make any sense unless placed like that. The 8x8 tiles placed diagonally make up the edges of diagonal walls.

I'll have to customize the tiles. DAMNIT

12. sbq92

It definitely takes some time to learn. I was very stumped at first. Once you get the hang of it, though, it makes a lot more sense.

It is a somewhat restrictive system (e.g., the Mega Man games have graphics that are actually somewhat too complex to to just be plugged into the theme sheet). However, the way you have started your sheet, it simply won't work at all, regardless of how restrictive the system is. This is an example of how the theme sheets are supposed to look:

[​IMG]

The upper chunks are for the normal ground, with the upper left being the normal ground and the upper right being the way in which the ground is constructed.

The lower chunks are for the stairs and such, with the lower left being the normal stair sets and the lower right being the way in which the stair set is constructed.

I hope this is at least somewhat helpful!

13. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

The templates should probably be redesigned at some point to be less restrictive, but I think that can wait until the game has more features and Jay is more financially secure.

14. sbq92

It would be quite a lot of work for Jay to set up the skinning system to account for the variety that's found in games. The pattern of 'Left edge--Middle--Right edge' is a good pattern that many games generally follow. He would have to modify the system to account for 'L--M--R', 'L--M1--M2--R', and 'M1--M2 (no edge)' patterns, and possibly others as well. There would then have to be separate templates for each pattern. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it would definitely be a lot of work.

ThomasMink and silentshadowxp like this.
  15. Scorpion42

I already know how they work, sorry. The sheet posted wasn't meant to work. It was meant to showcase the tiling system of Castlevania 2, and to give an example of what a sheet for that game could look like. Here, I've finished a theme:
    Theme_Skin_Castlevania2_Swamp.png
    This will work, right? I mean, I'm gonna add more themes, but this is perfectly acceptable, according to the template.

The trees are really wierd though. I mean, why make their spaces 33 and 50 pixels tall?

Anyway, hopefully someone will benefit from your explanation, so it won't have been wasted.

I always forget to mention things like that. One day it'll be the death someone, I know it :(

sbq92 likes this.
  16. sbq92

That should function properly, so no worries there. :)

The trees are indeed weird. I think Zach set them up like that so they can be their own sprites rather than being constructed out of smaller sprites.

Note that you don't necessarily have to include the trees in the theme if you intend to have a more elaborate background to go along with the theme.

Scorpion42 likes this.
  17. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

→ You should put some blocks so characters walk on those instead of rock, right? I remember walking on blocks only.

18. Scorpion42

Nope, a few places there are no blocks, but simply stone. They're very rare, though.
    Anyway, the skin is almost done:
    Theme_Skin_Castlevania2.png
    I'm not sure about whether I should have the grass in place of bushes, or make them part of the elaborate background. Not sure about the spikes, either. Should they be there or not?

Rey D likes this.
  19. Lilfut

Why no town theme?

20. Scorpion42

Bottom left is supposed to be town theme. I know, it's really bland.