Theme Skins

Discussion in 'Skins' started by uglyrodent, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

Wow. I hope you at least have an awesome background, because damn.

2. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

To be fair, Castlevania II was a really graphically bland game.

Scorpion42 likes this.
  3. Lilfut

The towns were pretty detailed, though, in terms of background.

4. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

There aren't really anything in towns that's placed like the decor in SMBC.
    Theme_Skin_Castlevania2.png
    Stairsteps as platforms look cool, but in Simon's quest, moving platforms looked like normal blocks. Is this okay?
    The sign will be cut in half most of the time. It'll have to be part of the elaborate background as well.
    Now, the normal cliff in wastelands doesn't have bare spots in the actual game, but should I keep it that way?
    Still haven't got any feedback on the spikes. I'm leaning towards removing them, but I don't think they can be in the elaborate background.

5. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Spikes are cool. You put them at the bottom of pits.

6. Scorpion42

Aw shiet, I just realized I don't have anything from inside houses.

Nevermind, it looks the same as other places.

Here's the final product:
    [​IMG]

ThomasMink likes this.
  7. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

It looks pretty good to me. :)

Just so you know, though, the theme sheets go in rows of 4. I'm not sure why the example template we have is a 2x2 square. Also, you can have a lot more than just 4 themes in a sheet. My Zelda II sheet has 17 different themes within the sheet.

Scorpion42 likes this.
  8. Scorpion42

The example sheet is pretty terrible. Not only does it imply that there can only be two themes in a row, it also doesn't fill out all the animations of the platforms.

I couldn't make any more themes. Simon's Quest varies very little in looks.

sbq92 likes this.
  9. sbq92

Just a small update on the theme sheets: the two trees are now being divided into squares, rather than being single sprites. So, the tall tree is divided into three tiles high, and the short tree is divided into two tiles high. On your sheets, go ahead and cut them up using the purple line, but be sure to cut them in half properly before dividing the cells. :)

TheomanZero likes this.
  10. Spokavriel

Spokavriel Level 5: Spiny

Worried that people will just draw the line taking out some pixels leaving gaps in the tree when rendered?

11. Lilfut

Why come?

12. sbq92

Yeah, hence, "but be sure to cut them in half properly before dividing the cells." :) It shouldn't be too bad if people just divide it into two (or three) 16x16 tiles first.

For reasons. :p

13. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

It might have something to do with SMB Special. I was watching some videos of it, and there are some really tall trees in that game. XD

Mitewing likes this.
  14. sbq92

I'll give an example, since it has been slightly altered from what I initially described:

example.png

Both trees are divided between trunk and top.

Rey D, TheomanZero and uglyrodent like this.
  15. Spokavriel

Spokavriel Level 5: Spiny

Why are you doing two tops instead of dividing the small top into half tiles and having the middle of the tall tree its own square? So the small tree is just missing that extra bit?

16. sbq92

That would actually just complicate things when it comes to skinning. I remember Sonic Boll doing something like that, and it was actually a huge pain trying to get the two different trees to display correctly. This way, you know exactly what you're skinning: a short tree and a tall tree. :)

17. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

So I need help.

How are these skins organized? Obviously I can see what sprites are there, but how do we know where to put the overworld, underground, water, etc. sets? Do we jut set it up and tell Jay what goes where? Or is there some underlying pattern I've missed? I mainly mean how this relates to multiple worlds, so where the overworld for world 1 goes as opposed to world 3. I looked at a couple but I'm still confused.

18. Lilfut

Just explain in your post which is which.

uglyrodent likes this.
  19. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

Pretty much this as far as I know. They'll set it up so that each level pulls from a particular theme (I'm guessing in the code somewhere).

uglyrodent likes this.
  20. sbq92

Each theme can have multiple 'sets', and these sets basically determine the background used, as well as music and palette options. So, for example, in SMB1 NES, theme 1 (the first on the theme sheet) is used on several different occasions: normal overworld, underground, nighttime overworld, snow overworld, nighttime snow overworld, and platforms. When you are setting up your themes, you do need to have backgrounds, and those will go with the sets. You can let us know which of the level types in each world you plan to have your themes and sets match with. You can reuse the same theme/set multiple times, though. So, you can have every single underground bonus area use the same theme, for example.

We have it set up so that we choose defaults for the whole game, and then we have override settings per world and per area of a level. So, if we wanted 1-2's underground bonus area to be different from 1-1's, we would override that particular area of 1-2 with the different theme/set.

I hope this makes sense. Basically, just let us (i.e., me) know which level types you want your themes used for in each world, provide images if palette changes are needed, and don't forget your backgrounds, as they are important (even SMB1 NES uses backgrounds--the black sky is not an absence of a background, it is a black background).

Mitewing and uglyrodent like this.