Verifying Three odd things on the Dark Pit skin

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by MissingNo2, Dec 20, 2013.

1. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

The first thing is the palette generating. The black is supposed to be treated as if it were transparency on a proper NES sprite, so seeing it change on the sprite seems off. It does that when using the Screw Attack or a Starman. On the right is how it looks in SMBC and on the left is how it's meant to look.
    dark-pit.png
    Second, the "source game" text claims he's from Kid Icarus, when it would more accurately be Kid Icarus: Uprising. Since Dark Samus specifically states Metroid Prime 3, it seems more sensical.
    And third, while I know this wasn't necessarily expected, I was kind of anticipating the addition of the FDS versions of the tracks when it came to the addition of Dark Pit. That's pretty much it though. Otherwise I'm glad to see it in.

Mitewing likes this.
  2. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I'll look into the palette. I won't be making it transparent, that would look terrible in SMBC, but I can treat it as black and make it retain that black when flashing. As for the music, Pit has used the FDS version all along. That's the funny thing about FDS music. A lot of the time only a few tracks are different, so people don't even always know when it's being used.

Faruga likes this.
  3. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

I wasn't suggesting that, I was stating that Samus doesn't have the same problem with her black outline.
    Actually, he really isn't. Tracks like the game over and level clear are most definitely the NES versions.

Mitewing likes this.
  4. sbq92

Huh... It looks like GME isn't rendering the music properly. When playing the NSF in an external player it is definitely the FDS music, but in SMBC it's the NES music. I'd suggest perhaps GME isn't set up to play the extra instruments, but the Castlevania III FDS works fine. Weird.

At any rate, though, I don't think we have time at this point to be trying to figure out how to get a couple of tracks playing correctly. I think Pit's stuck with NES music. Sorry.

Faruga likes this.
  5. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

CV3 was never on FDS. AFAIK it's a cartridge based Famicom game with an extra sound chip.

6. sbq92

Oh, that probably explains why CV3 music works and FDS music does not. This actually kind of puts to rest the constant requests for FDS music (well, so does the whole "this is the final update" thing, I suppose :p). If FDS music doesn't work, we can't add it.

Out of curiosity, which other popular and often-requested games are not FDS but use the enhanced music?

7. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Not sure how "often-requested" it is, but I believe that Gimmick! was a Famicom cartridge with additional chip. And you're already using its music.