Considering Time Attack Mode

Discussion in 'Features' started by TiagoDu, Mar 26, 2012.

1. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

Does what it says on the tin. It's just like a normal game, but instead of a countdown timer at the top-right corner, there will be a clock counting up that carries thru each of the stages. When you end the game, the times on each of the stages, together with the character you used and powerups you had, is shown as a results screen.

This could be made into a cheat, since it works on any mode really. It's basically a stopwatch that replaces the timer. This would be awesome for time counting challenges and speedruns.

This would be even merged with the infinite time cheat, making it on 3 options: On, Off and Time Attack. :p

ThomasMink and aliceandsven like this.
  2. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

This would be great and would add a lot of reason for more people to play / keep playing even between updates. Could also generate more website traffic due to this, maybe? People coming back to check their times?

I think it would work better as a separate game mode. Add time attack to the menu which then opens up a selection between Whole Game / Worlds / Levels.

The biggest problem in the way of level time-attacks is the current state of character balance. Starting some characters like Ryu with no power-ups on a level such as 8-4 isn't going to work. Maybe time attack mode can include a free mushroom, or just give the characters all their powers, always (excluding mario/luigi).

Also an automated leaderboard either somewhere in-game, or an applet on a linked page. That would be helpful.

The idea is not just adding the timer and results, but streamlining it so that a player can go straight to the time attack they want instead of having to unlock level select, etc.

sbq92 and TiagoDu like this.
  3. TiagoDu

Something also good would be ghost players to play against.

Faruga and aliceandsven like this.
  4. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I don't understand why so few racing games have this. Mario Kart is the only one that comes to mind.
    Also, other games that time you in levels (Mario Galaxy 2, Mario 3D Land) do not have ghost players. LET'S CHANGE THIS WITH SUPA MALIO BRODAS KRUSSOVAR!

5. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

It's funny that you mention Mario Galaxy 2, because that does have ghosts -- beat a level with Luigi and next time you play it there will be a Ghost Luigi waiting by the entrance.

6. MasterShizzle

MasterShizzle Level 5: Spiny

Time Attack mode would be grand. We'd have to split it into just as many other game modes, (single character, random character, all characters, etc.) but it would certainly make most of the challenges easier to judge if there were an official kind of thing.

7. TiagoDu

I think Random ad All Chars won't be so balanced, because some characters are faster and others slower, and on random chars it will be all luck. If we are going for ranking and leaderboards, Just single character should be added.

8. MasterShizzle

MasterShizzle Level 5: Spiny

That's true. I hate playing on random and getting someone like Sophia or Ryu on a cheep-cheep level.

9. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I think it would be really nice to have an in-game real-time timer. I'm not sure it needs to be a cheat, though. In fact, given the nature of 2.0, some characters actually have difficulty finishing levels with the time limit, even just playing in a normal way so as to survive the level. Because this is the case, having an option from menu of having the timer on or off would work rather well from the beginning, and then either have the Time Attack mode incorporated with that option, or have a separate Time Attack mode in which you select Level/World/Game and maybe some power-up options.

I would also very much appreciate seeing automated leaderboards somewhere. I don't really mind looking after the leaderboards (at least for now, while it's not overly popular yet), but eventually it could potentially become overwhelming for a single person to manage a whole bunch of scores.

TheomanZero and TiagoDu like this.
  10. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

What I meant was that you couldn't race against yourself. The Ghost Luigi only shows you secrets.