Time Attack

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by sbq92, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Alrighty then. That means I can use luck manipulation in individual level runs?

:link:
    Level: 1-1
    Time: 36.92 seconds
    Difficulty: Normal
    Cheats: None
    Other: No warp pipe, no power-up, Upward and Downward Thrusts to bounce here and there.

:simon:
    Level: 1-2
    Time: 42.16 seconds
    Other: No warp pipe, no power-up.

:bass:
    Level: 1-3
    Time: 25.01 seconds
    Other: No power-up, Dashes and Dash-jumps used for maximum speed.

:luigi:
    Level: 1-4
    Time: 28.98 seconds
    Other: Picked up :mush: as a safety measure, but jumped over :bowser: anyway.

2. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

By luck manipulation, you mean reloading until you get the power-up you want? I suppose technically that's allowed. I've seen it done in segmented speed runs on Speed Demos Archive.

I am busy at the moment (preparing supper), but I've got some additional things to address concerning these runs. Also, the leaderboard will be completed tonight, but I need to work at it a bit to make sure we have several different approaches being represented.

3. Rey D

Patron

→ Yep. Or to be more accurate, once I get the right power-up, I keep in mind how I must act in order to get it. Then when I reload again because I messed up something in the level, I act the right way to get it.

But if reloading is allowed, luck manipulation must be as well.
    ...Now that I think about it, reloading is kind of like practicing, so...

EDIT:
    :ryu: "HAGGLE MAN"
    Level: 2-2
    Time: 65.11
    Notes: Haggle Man is slighty more efficient, but enough to be noticed, than Ryu. Indeed, his attack is slighty faster than Ryu. In an underwater level, such an advantage is welcome. However, the slash trace sprite is a bit inaccurate so you may miss your target whereas you clearly see the slash on it.

4. sbq92

Okay, this chart is going to have to be very large. It has to contain all 41 different playthroughs, and all 5 different difficulty settings. I believe I will simply make it 5 different charts, but the OP is going to be huge.

5. Rey D

Patron

I think you shouldn't include my runs for World 2 and further, as it's where I start using power-ups collected in previous levels (picking up power-ups in 2-1 to survive 2-2 , I mean).

6. sbq92

Okay, thanks for letting me know. :)

You should probably hold off on reporting any more at the moment. I'm trying to normalize it and get it all set up. Managing this chart is actually going to be a lot of work... I should see if any of the mods want to help me maintain it, since they can edit posts.

EDIT: I'm limiting the difficulties to Normal, Hard, and Very Hard. Zipping through the game on Easy or Very Easy is nothing to brag about. :p

Rey D likes this.
  7. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

That's why I said standardize the options for the leaderboard. Just say "normal only" and then you don't need to do all of the different charts and it keeps the chart simple.

Also, it's a shame so many people don't / can't record their playing.

Rey D likes this.
  8. sbq92

It seems a shame to limit the time attack to just normal. Surely there are or will be those who would wish to try their luck at the harder difficulties. However, perhaps that doesn't necessarily warrant making a chart for those difficulties just yet. I suppose I could just list those times in the OP, until enough people do harder difficulties to warrant making a chart.

9. aliceandsven

I'm not saying we can't ever do hard and extreme, but considering the traffic challenges currently get, I think a somewhat narrow focus will help motivate people and create competition. Ultimately it's up to you, I'm just making suggestions.

More thoughts:

What is the standard for single level runs? Do we have to start with a fresh character and use level select? Can someone with a powered up character doing another run include their single level times?

sbq92 likes this.
  10. sbq92

(Four separate runs.)

:megaman: (Classic)
    Level: 6-1
    Time: 37.32 seconds (94 timer ticks)
    Other: No power-ups

Level: 6-2
    Time: 48.43 seconds (122 timer ticks)

Level: 6-3
    Time: 36.52 seconds (92 timer ticks)
    Other: Collected a Mushroom, used extra hit to survive a Bullet Bill

Level: 6-4
    Time: 42.08 seconds (106 timer ticks)

I figure the standard for single level runs ought to be a "clean" run, so a fresh character and level select.

Anyone can do whatever they want technically, as long as they explain what they did in their post. However, only runs that follow the standard will be put up on the leaderboard. It would be far too hectic otherwise.

Alternatively, though, we could potentially have a whole other set of leaderboards for fully-powered up characters. This would be six boards all together, which is a lot, although if/when the challenge sub-forum is put in place we can just have a stickied thread (or multiple stickied threads, maybe two--regular and powered-up) for the leaderboards.

EDIT: I've made a decision. There will be four leaderboards:
    1. Normal, clean start
    2. Normal, fully-powered start
    3. Very Hard, clean start
    4. Very Hard, fully-powered start
    Why only Normal and Very Hard? The way I figure it, those are probably the only two difficulties that truly matter. The others are good, but you're not going to show off your skill on Hard mode when there's a Very Hard to be mastered. :)

11. Rey D

Patron

As not a lot of people have participated yet, I'm willing to bring up a lot of records! :D Takes a bunch of time but that's definitely interesting.

sbq92 likes this.
  12. sbq92

As long as you know the rules. :) I've been continually updating the front page, so make sure you know what's currently expected of a time attack. It's basically either no different or only a little different from what you have been doing.

The newest things are:
    • You can only do Normal or Very Hard
    • You can do a clean start or a fully-powered start (nothing in-between)
      • In the case of characters that have various options as a sub-weapon, it's your choice for what they will start with
      • If you're doing individual levels/worlds, you must start with a clean/fully-powered save for each level/world

Rey D likes this.
  13. Rey D

Patron

I get it. ^^
    Oh and you should fix the OP. >< My run with Luigi is on 1-4 but you put it 1-3.

sbq92 likes this.
  14. sbq92

OP updated. :)

The leaderboards will hopefully be elsewhere soon, as stickied posts. I guess there will be either one thread or two--one for Normal and one for Very Hard.

I've also got a better system for managing the leaderboards now (for myself, that is). I've got each of the four leaderboards in a text file for easy editing. While this is a lot easier for me, the drawback is that I was linking each name to the post in which the person got that time. This gave quick access to details and highlighted names in colors for easy spotting in the chart. I can't seem to replicate this easily, though. I suppose, however, that I can put the links in the text file so I have them for easy access later. Alright, this shouldn't be too bad.

Rey D likes this.
  15. Rey D

Patron

I just noticed you put my Simon submission as "Classic" whearas I've never said Classic Simon was on. O:

16. sbq92

Oh, I swapped the "normal" and "classic" columns, I just forgot to switch yours. :)

BTW, I've realized that the way I have it set up now, luck manipulation can only be done in the "Entire Game--Segmented" method (shoot, I just realized this should actually be another method on its own). However, I suppose doing fully-powered runs you could still use luck manipulation when starting a run, but most of the runs now require a start-to-finish run with no deaths or breaks. So, a Single World run requires a non-stop run from X-1 to X-4, so you can't save in the middle and manipulate luck, though you are fully free to grab power-ups along the way and use them however you wish. :)

17. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

:luigi: in 1-1: 400-341=59, no warps used

18. sbq92

Normal difficulty, I assume? Also, that's 23.42 seconds. :)

There is actually not a separate category for not using mid-level warp pipes (or bonus areas), so I recommend you use the beneficial ones for maximum time if you want your time on the boards. :)

19. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I just didn't think of it. I'll have another go. I was going to, but someone else needed the computer.
    EDIT: Normal, :luigi:, 400-358=42, which makes 16.67 seconds.

sbq92 likes this.
  20. aliceandsven

So here's my first thing

The powered-board is not up yet, so I didn't bother to upload this, and I know I can do better anyway. Just not going to invest any more time in it tonight. The video file is on my PC if anyone really cares enough to dispute it though :p

:bassdash:
    Normal
    Powered Up
    World 1-1
    00:13.895 - 365 (35)

I don't know exactly how stringent powered up is supposed to be, but I just level-selected after getting mushroom + charge kick. It's all I wanted to use and didn't want to waste time getting everything.

sbq92 likes this.