Time Attack

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by sbq92, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

By the way I recorded some my showing off skills, but I think I'd try to get a video editor to cut the failed runs out.

2. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Great! :D

Just for clarity, by "powerless" you mean you started from a clean save file (or just started a new game) and just skipped to 3-2, right? Because you are fully allowed to pick up power-ups in the level.

3. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Precisely. I turned on the Infinite Lives cheat to avoid Game Overs.

4. sbq92

The Infinite Lives cheat isn't permitted, and a single death means your run is over.

BTW, if it ever seems like I'm being too strict with the rules, I'm merely trying to treat these runs as though they were programmed into the game, in which case they would be just as strict.

5. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

I'm pretty sure he's aware of that and was merely starting a new run when he respawned at the start.
    (that and using level select to get back to the beginning if he passed the continue point)

Anyhow.
    [​IMG]
    WORLD 2-3​
    TICKS::s:129​
    TIME::s:51.213sec​
    DIFFICULTY::s:Normal​
    CHEATS::s:Classic Samus​
    OTHER::s:Powerless​
    Random Other: Played with this in the background.

Yeah since he's pretty slow, I tried my best.

6. sbq92

Simply respawning from the start isn't sufficient, though, since it isn't a clean start. Score changes (even though it doesn't matter, a programmed time attack mode would reset completely), and most characters keep ammo when they die, and that changes the run completely. I may consider making exceptions for Mario, Luigi, and Bill, since nothing carries over after they die (except for score), but I'll need to figure out if this exception should apply for all types of runs (level, world, game) and if it's fair overall. I know the main thing is not wanting to have to reload your game after you die, but for 7 of the 10 characters you have to reload anyway, so to keep things fair, I'll probably just make the rule apply to all characters.

7. Faruga

Patron

MissingNo is correct. As far as I can tell, score doesn't matter in these runs. I say it's fair to players if Bill (weapons lost at death) and Mario/Luigi (barely any weapons to lose and those weapons are lost) can have infinite lives cheats on single levels. World/game runs, of course, shouldn't have infinite lives cheat, but for MLB, I really don't see why they couldn't use it for single level runs.

8. Rey D

Patron

MissingNo was talking about the LEVEL SELECT cheat, not INFINITE LIVES.

9. Faruga

Patron

MissingNo2 likes this.
  10. Rey D

Patron

I was wrong to talk about MissingNo when you were responding to sbq92, but the quote itself doesn't seem to be a denying my point, he does talk about the LEVEL SELECT. But I'm going to try again at actually discussing:
    sbq92 did post why he didn't want INFINITE LIVES to be used for most characters, and did say he may allow exceptions for Mario, Luigi and Bill.
    Just be aware that using LEVEL SELECT when you carry something you've collected or lost something during the run for a single level run is no good.

11. Ryuza

Ryuza Level 6: Lakitu

Suppose I'll submit a few :D

:sophia::jason:
    Difficulty: Normal
    Method: Clean start
    Level: 1-1
    Time - 17.07

Level: 1-2
    Time - 38.51

Level: 1-3
    Time - 27.00

Level: 1-4
    Time - 28.58
    Level: 2-1
    Time - 46.45

Level: 2-2
    Time - 36.13

Level: 2-3
    Time - 40.10

Level: 2-4
    Time - 29.38
    Level 3-1
    Time - 52.82

Level 3-2
    Time - 40.10

Level 3-3
    Time - 28.19

Level 3-4
    Time - 28.19
    Level: 4-1
    Time - 46.45

Level: 4-2
    Time - 40.89

Level: 4-3
    Time - 30.17

Level: 4-4
    Time - 32.95

Edit: Here's a program I made for calculating your time, as easy as it is to do it the process gets a little tedious. :p To use it just click the button with the stage's time limit and then click calculate to enter the time you had left at the end of the stage and it'll output your correct time in seconds, it even rounds the number if it's too long, like if the time would be 28.576 it'll display 28.58.

Just did a run of the whole game with warps:
    Level: All (Warps)
    Time: 7:51:64

sbq92, Rey D and aliceandsven like this.
  12. sbq92

:megaman: Mega Man (Classic)
    Playthrough: Entire world, World 1
    Time: 2:03.07
    Notes:
    1-1 was perfect (47 ticks)
    1-2 was very good (88 ticks)
    1-3 was very good (79 ticks)
    1-4 was pretty bad (96 ticks) - I got hit just before Bowser so I had to take the time to fight him.

Playthrough: Single level, 3-1
    Time: 0:42.48 (107 ticks)
    Notes: Not bad, but it feels like it could use some work. The part near the end with all the bouncing koopas is tricky. I've found getting hit and running by generally helps but there may be a better way.

Playthrough: Single level, 4-1
    Time: 0:40.10 (101 ticks)
    Notes: Pretty good. It took a few tries to reach 101 ticks. There may be room for improvement, but it was pretty tight. There are only two or three spinies that need to be dodged, but unfortunately not being able to slide makes this process a little slower than the ideal. I'm not entirely sure how to dodge them any faster then a quick stop just before they hit the ground followed by a jump over them.

Playthrough: Single level, 4-2
    Time: 0:42.08 (106 ticks)
    Notes: Very good. I wait for the first moving platform so I can reach the top and run without having to worry about obstacles. I did get tripped up a little bit near the end, so up to a few ticks could potentially be saved.

Playthrough: Single level, 4-3
    Time: 0:28.98 (73 ticks)
    Notes: Perfect (or nearly so). There may be a little room for improvement, but it was a pretty tight run.

Playthrough: Single level, 4-4
    Time: 0:40.42 (127 ticks)
    Notes: Good. There is some room for improvement. Since it's a clean start I don't have a mushroom for bypassing Bowser, so I have to fight him, so some luck and skill could improve the fight by a few ticks.
    :samus: Samus Aran
    Playthrough: Single level, 1-1
    Time: 0:20.64 (52 ticks)
    Notes: Perfect (or nearly so). There may be slight room for improvement, but it was quite tight.
    :bill: Bill Rizer
    Playthrough: Single level, 1-1
    Time: 0:20.25 (51 ticks)
    Notes: Nearly perfect. It may be possible to reduce the the time by 1 tick, as I was caught up slightly on the stairs at the end of the level.

13. sbq92

I've updated the rules for this, but I have not yet updated the leaderboards.

Check out the OP for the rules, and feel free to practice for the time being, until I get the leaderboards up and running again.

aliceandsven likes this.