Request Toad Discussion

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Mitewing, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I think Toad is a logical choice for a new character. He is a part of the Mario universe and would introduce a new but familiar way by playing SMB with SMB2 mechanics. I figure his fire flower ability would be the Bomb from the same game. Any thoughts or ideas?

2. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

I think he isn't joining soon, because we need Luigi first.

3. Mitewing

You're right. First, Lost Levels Luigi. Then Toad. That's my personal wishlist.

4. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I don't really think Toad (or Peach) will fit. They are from SMB2 and this is SMB Crossover.

5. bnjay29

bnjay29 Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I agree, the mechanics just wouldn't work too well. And how in the world would one defeat Bowser as Toad or Peach anyway?

I mean besides the axe.

6. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Doesn't mario have to get the axe? Or do fireballs kill bowser?

7. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Mario is able to kill Bowser with fireballs and the axe, but I don't remember of any fireball in SMB2, since it was Doki Doki Panic at the beginning. The characters from that game run fast, but not enough. They'd be hit by Bowsers every single time in SMBC.

8. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

Of course they kill! If not, how do we knew that the Bowsers of the first 7 castles were fake (they were actually simple enemies) in the original SMB?

9. Mitewing

The fire flower power up would be the Bomb from SMB2, but Toad would get an unlimited number of them.

10. bnjay29

bnjay29 Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I really ought to slow it down and take the time to read ALL posts some times. I missed that part. I suppose that would be a good idea to implement. Now I'm assuming these bombs would have to be thrown before they explode in your hand and damage you, correct?

11. Mitewing

Of course. To be similar to the original gameplay, holding the bomb too long would be bad for Toad. Also only one bomb can be on the sceeen at one time to prevent spamming. So the bomb should be at least as powerful, if not a little more powerful than even Mario's fireball.

12. ERROR404

ERROR404 Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

If it does happen, then he should be able to pull items out of the ground at will and pick up enemies instead of stomping them.
    Toad COULD work, but he would need much consideration.

13. Mitewing

I definitely think it would work but I don't know how much programming it would take as it's completely different game mechanics than everybody else.

14. ERROR404

ERROR404 Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I don't know about Flash, but it IS a pretty simple character.

15. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

The excuse "They are from SMB2 and this is SMBC" isn't really a valid argument in my opinion. Especially since SMBC is completely based off of the idea of taking characters that aren't from the original SMB and adding them to it.

I think he'd work perfectly fine. He could stand on top of non spiked enemies and pick them up to throw at other enemies. Instead of being able to hit blocks from below, he would have to pull the coins or power ups out from on top of them (and maybe even pick up bricks). If you hold down for a few seconds, he charges up his jump to do a high jump. Not entirely sure what his post-mushroom power-up would be, though it could just be a randomized selection of vegetables, bombs, shells, or POW blocks to use instead of an official power-up.

Mitewing likes this.
  16. Powerstars

Powerstars Level 3: Paratroopa

I love this idea, and really, think of how much fun it would be to just throw bricks at enemies! It's fucking genius! And maybe for an alternate costume, Imajin from Doki Doki Panic?

17. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

I'm actually changing my support from Mario 2 Toad to Lina from Doki Doki Panic... >.>

18. Yoshi4ever

Yoshi4ever Level 1: Goomba

Toad would be weak, but OK.

19. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

I would rather have Peach then Lina as a skin. It's just a video game... Peach saving Peach would be funny as hell.

Anyways Toad and Peach would work. Thanks to 2.0 they can play just like how they did in SMB2U.

For example. they can pick up bricks. And when they get to Bowser. Veggies fly upward like when you are fighting Wart. Picking up enemys could work I think.

Mitewing likes this.
  20. Mitewing

With Peach, not only can you make a Lina skin, you can make a Daisy skin by changing Peach's colors.