Ultimate Speedrun

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by uglyrodent, Jan 31, 2011.

1. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

This is a new challenge I thought up.
    -You may (but don't have to) use:
    --Invinicbility (this one actually DOES have to be used, otherwise it's just a speed run)
    --Mega Man's Moon Jump
    --Samus Crouch
    --Easy Jump Simon
    --Backwards Scroll

These are off by default.
    The point:
    Find some way to time yourself, and run through the game as fast as possible. Limitations:
    -No Warp Zones. I know it's a speedrun, but it's also a special challenge.
    -If you don't use some form of timer, it doesn't count. We don't need proof, we just need an exact time. We will assume the honor system on this.
    -No Survival mode.

Extra Bonus Challenge:
    -Do it on Single Character Random Mode (mention this when posting your time)

狂人さん likes this.
  2. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I'm going to try and record that once I work out how to play Camstudio vids properly. Otherwise, I'll just time it with my phone.

3. CHAOS_FANTAZY

CHAOS_FANTAZY Level 6: Lakitu

He only said to post your time. Google is your friend.

I may attempt this, but certainly not right now. I still have to go to school.

4. Reset

Reset Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Surely Mario is the fastest character, isn't he?

5. pokemondream

pokemondream Level 5: Spiny

won't being invincble be to easy

6. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

That's why I play as him.

7. pokemondream

pokemondream Level 5: Spiny

you should try this when or if sonic gets added

8. Reset

Reset Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I like that part of the challenge actually, it makes it about the platforming and speed. There's still plenty of hindrances to keep you from getting the desired goal, the fastest speed.

9. Faruga

Patron

SAVE DATA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Normal mode:
    Code:
    <smbc_save_data>1,1,3,0,0,0,0,1000,0,0,0,0,0,5,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,37,39,38,40,90,88,67,27,2,1,0,0,0,1,0,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,0,1,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,0,0,1,0,1,0,0,0,1</smbc_save_data>
    Gives you World 1-1 on Normal difficulty All Characters with default options. I made this by completing a game of SMBC (taking care not to use SOPHIA so the Hover cheat isn't there and also to get a few Game Overs so the Infinite Lives cheat isn't there) and changing it to my liking, as with the next one.
    Random Characters:
    Code:
    <smbc_save_data>1,1,3,0,0,0,0,1000,0,0,0,0,0,5,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,37,39,38,40,90,88,67,27,2,3,0,0,0,1,0,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,0,1,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,0,0,1,0,1,0,0,0,1</smbc_save_data>
    Gives you the same as above, just Single Character Random instead of All Characters. This should actually go quicker.
    EDIT: Sorry, forgot to say:
    Paste the code into Notepad and save it as a .txt and you can open it.

10. uglyrodent

As for the code above, I don't really know what purpose it serves, but it makes me feel I should mention that you do not start timing until you see the title card for World 1-1 (yes, you have to count time for the title cards).
    Anyway...
    Yeah, he is. However, he is a little harder to control and sometimes can't do the bigger jumps as well as some other characters.
    Kind of. This isn't about the difficulty of the game, this is about the speed.

狂人さん likes this.
  11. Faruga

Patron

I added it so that you don't have to waste time clicking on Simon Jump and so that they only have the cheats you can use (I think Infinite Time's allowed... Right?).
    And, when you say "Title card", do you mean the bit where it says "World 1-1 ____ X 3"?

12. uglyrodent

Okay, I understand. It isn't counted in the normal time, but I get it.
    And yeah, that is what I meant by title card.

13. Faruga

Patron

I found a mistake in the code. It has been corrected on the Wiki, although there's an Infinite Lives cheat in. Is that allowed?
    EDIT: I tried it out and got the following stats:
    Time: 31 mins 7 secs
    Last stage: Completed the game
    Mode: Single Random
    Stopped when: I got the final axe
    Time included: All the deaths and the level cards and cutscenes
    Cheats used:
    • Invincible
    • Infinite Time
    • Infinite Lives
    • Invincible
    • Mega Man High Jump
    I think Bouncy Pits would have made it easier...

14. Captain Knight

Captain Knight Level 6: Lakitu

UR, I'll time everything by the end of the week...hopefully...

I just wanted to let you know, because I'll edit this post when I have the score.

Also, what difficulty? I don't think you included that, but I'm thinking normal...

15. Faruga

Patron

I don't think it matters, since you can be invincible anyway.
    I did it on Normal.

16. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

The difficulty impacts how many shots the bricks take to destroy, so a higher difficulty could potentially make things a little slower in a few cases.

17. Sophitroid

Sophitroid Level 1: Goomba

Alright , i'll try to do this.
    All Abourd SOPHIA III!

18. sbq92

Time: 00:27:47
    Mode: Single Character ~ Ryu Hayabusa
    Difficulty: Super Easy
    Cheats: Invincible

Known areas for improvement:

• Utilizing secret areas (I need to discern which ones are helpful and which ones are not)
    • Utilizing Infinite Time cheat to negate clock countdown and fireworks
    • General style (includes timing jumps, ignoring enemies in specific places, getting better control over wall climbing)
    I had fun doing this! I wish I had been recording, though. The run was pretty smooth, although there is a quite a bit of room for improvement. I did die once, but it was a very foolish death. I wasn't paying attention (I was looking at my clock...) and I just held right as I started 8-4 and I fell straight into the pit of lava. >_< I still came in under half an hour, though, so I was pleased with that.

19. Faruga

Patron

Damn, I've got good competition to beat...

20. sbq92

You'd better believe it! :p

I haven't done much in the way of speedrunning before, but I have watched a lot of TASs, so I know a lot of the tips for reducing time. It generally seems to boil down to many little things over the course of the game. Every extra split-second I spend climbing walls eventually adds up throughout the game and could easily add a few seconds to my run. You gotta be PERFECT! :D