Unused content?

Discussion in 'Game' started by Lilfut, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

So I was browsing the Cutting Room Floor wiki, and I found this. We know about the Link/Mega Man/Bass unused sprites, but the rest is... interesting.

2. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

I relatively find the Final Fantasy and Kirby bits difficult to believe (I mean come on, they didn't even get the names right), but we already knew the sprite stuff by just looking at the skins.
    Maybe Jay really is hiding something from us.

3. Lilfut

As someone who reads dummied out stuff all the time, it's possible Jay almost implemented those things but then scrapped it. That's particularly plausible with the Kirby sound effect, he probably just forgot to delete that one sound file hidden away deep in the file system. The FF and Gradius sprites could be a result of the same, but more likely they're either sprites he made and just left in for storage or easter eggs for those who looked into the files.

4. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Jay had a few non-platformer characters planned, and they didn't make it to 2.0 so it's possible the Final Fantasy characters are Work In Progress.

However, the Kirby doesn't like inhaling like they claim.

Mitewing likes this.
  5. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Vic Viper and the original FF characters may very well be the two nonplatformers Jay is planning...hmmmmm....

6. Lilfut

I'm interested in how the FF characters would work, personally. Would they have random encounters? Would they press a button to freeze time and open a menu? Based on the unused skin template, you'd presumably have a party of four, so that seems to support the former.

7. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

hmmmm.....
    You guys need to study your retro sound effects. That's the ice beam.

I'm surprised it took so long for someone to find this stuff.

8. Lilfut

So how would the FF characters have played? If you don't want to reveal it (whether due to you not liking the idea or still wanting to use it or whatever unfathomable reasons lurk within your mind), that's fine.

Also, if I as a retro FF fan may give some advice (if you end up including them), you should use the Devout/Shaman sprites rather than Sage sprites for the White Mage's promoted version (I assume that's what that is). Also, you could use the Ninja for the promoted Thief. Though what you have is certainly cool too.

9. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

Oh wow, not only did they get the names of the FF characters wrong, but they also don't know where sound effects come from.

10. Lilfut

As a fairly active member of TCRF, I fixed some errors in the page. I also got to link my pet project (the FF3 page), which is nice. I also removed the "unused" sound, since from what I can tell it's just Samus's Ice Beam.

Rey D likes this.
  11. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I was like "It's the laser! Oh wait no. The laser sounds different. It's something else."

12. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Vic Viper's gameplay is pretty straightforward. Add autoscrolling screens and BAM! Gradius in SMBC. Final Fantasy is a mystery on how it would work. Can one freely switch between party members? How do the upgraded classes work, etc? So since the proverbial cat is out of the bag regarding the nonplatform characters, now what?

13. Jay

Yeah Vic isn't that much work that's why I was thinking of adding him in an update. The warriors of light are more complicated and I had their basic gameplay in, but I'm not sure if I'll finish them or not. I don't feel like explaining everything but yeah you switch between them. It was kind of a fun experiment, and it seemed to work pretty well.

14. Lilfut

How did you implement the RPG mechanics? And how were the characters balanced? How did you make a Thief ever preferable to a Fighter? The White Mage seems like she would be either ludicrously overpowered or ludicrously underpowered, how did you deal with that? If you wanted to implement character switching, why didn't you just include Little Samson and friends unchanged?

Am I asking too many questions? :p

15. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Where are the Thief's promoted sprites on that page from, by the way? I don't recognize them.
    Also, I guess another possibility for promoted Thief's sprites would just be the Thief sprites from FF III.

16. Lilfut

I'm pretty sure they're custom.

17. Jay

I think most of it is from FF3 but I don't really remember.

18. Lilfut

I say this with the utmost respect, but I'm pretty sure you're misremembering. There might be traces of FF3 there somewhere, but that's basically an original sprite.

19. Jay

Zach probably made them then. It was a long time ago. I wonder if he even remembers doing it.

20. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

The promoted Thief is just a recolor of the FF3 version with the mustache removed. You can see the original on a sheet here.