Unused content?

Discussion in 'Game' started by Lilfut, Aug 28, 2012.

1. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

And then they took it Up To Eleven with a certain sports crossover:
    [​IMG]
    Personally, I'm calling it canon.

mitsymckenzie777, Rey D and Lilfut like this.
  2. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

That list of names is interesting. You'll notice there is actually a male name on the White Mage list: Noah. The rest are definitely female names, though. The Black Mage and Red Mage name lists, however, are full of both male and female names, which is odd, because they have both always been considered male, especially the Red Mage.

3. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Me too. I officially give.

Lilfut and MissingNo2 like this.
  4. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

a sports game crossover is the last thing I would consider canon

Omicron and Rey D like this.
  5. sbq92

Well, while the story likely isn't canon, the decision to make one of the characters female clearly shows the company itself views its character as being female, or at least that the character can be considered female.

6. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Well it's a newer thing. Things change with time, probably because new persons come in the company. Like how Frioniel/Firion changed from brown/red hair to white.

In any case, for SMBC, I think they can be called "Warrior", "White Mage", etc.

7. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

You mean "FIGHTER", "Wh.MAGE", etc.

Rey D likes this.
  8. Fantasy_Zone

Fantasy_Zone Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I definitely agree that White Mage likes like a female.

I would have thought that the 4 adventurers (Warriors of Light) would be different sprite choices in the character selection screen like Bass is an option in Mega Man, but that description of how they would operate sounds excellent. Maybe one day in the future we will see a Warrior of Light (Warrior of Lights? Warriors of Lights? Lorriors of Wight? <--- these are jokes) in SMBC.

9. mitsymckenzie777

mitsymckenzie777 Level 6: Lakitu

After seeing that picture and the fact that even one of Final Fantasy III's four generic characters were seen as female.According to a comic or manga in Japan as well as Refia in the DS version and soon to be released in Japan PSP version. I'd say White Mage is female. Then again the characters of FF1 could well be left to imagination anyways.

10. sbq92

It is likely that Square changed their stance at one point. In the original, the White Mage and especially White Wizard looked rather like a male, and in FFIII the four characters were all young boys, but the White Mage class still resembled that of the White Mage in the first game. It wasn't until FFIV that the White Mage started to be associated with females, with Rosa and Porom as the game's White Mages (and Rydia had white magic as a child). Then in FFV the White Mage class for the female characters looked more like the original White Mage design with the hood up. Then, much later, there was Garnet in FFIX who was a White Mage/Summoner, and then Eiko who was the same, and then Yuna in FFX was also a White Mage/Summoner. It seems Square probably retconned the first game's White Mages to be females, and has stuck to that ever since.

Rey D and MissingNo2 like this.
  11. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

I think they're all intended to be gender-ambiguous, but White Mage is female when the issue is directly addressed.

12. mitsymckenzie777

Well as far as I'm considered Mira NES or Mirara as in the PS1 to PSP versions of Final Fantasy...

Mitewing likes this.
  13. Fantasy_Zone

Fantasy_Zone Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

My best guess after looking at the sprites is that white mage and white wizard were both intended to look ambiguous--though with a hint of the feminine. The cloak hides any gender specific traits, but that could have been because they couldn't create a sprite that looked definitively one way or the other. The long red hair of white wizard looks feminine enough. The idea of a priestess as the only female character in the group isn't surprising since it plays on gender stereotypes (war nurses, etc.) given white mage's abilities. Mario was designed with a hat because they couldn't design hair that moved and his moustache was designed so you could tell he had a nose. It wouldn't be too outrageous to infer that white mage was intended to be female and was designed ambiguous given the limitations of the sprite.

Omicron, Lilfut, sbq92 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

So I wonder if switching between the characters if the names and portraits would change to match? Instead of just saying Warriors it would switch from Fighter to Thief to White Mage to Black Mage.

15. Ryuza

Ryuza Level 6: Lakitu

I don't think we got far enough along to decide on that part, I think at one point I was considering a portrait that somehow fit the four of them and just having their name set to Warriors of Light or something.

Mitewing likes this.
  16. Zyborg

Zyborg Level 5: Spiny

Man, I hope that you decide to finish the Warriors of Light. That sounds awesome.

17. mitsymckenzie777

They never had an in game portrait like most FF characters so...

For they're portraits just the four warriors of light over world sprites in a square formation. It would be cute.

Lilfut likes this.
  18. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

Cute, but lazy.

Lilfut and twinAgkistrodon like this.
  19. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Does this mean they've officially been dropped? Unless there's a major technical obstacle preventing them from being in the game, I'd still be interested in playing as them someday.

20. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I was going to a suggest a "final fantasy mode" where the levels are re-designed in a way that the warriors could walk through and then engage goombas and stuff in turn-based battles.

or maybe, just let them run and jump high enough to clear the obstacles, and when they touch an enemy a battle begins. That way you wouldn't have to redesign levels.

Lilfut likes this.