Request Upgrades from other Mario games.

Discussion in 'Features' started by A.D.A.M., Jun 6, 2014.

1. A.D.A.M.

A.D.A.M. Level 6: Lakitu

I know people requested this before, but I went through five pages and the search engine and couldn't find the correct topic. I know this will likely not happen, but perhaps in the future, if someone decides to do this, this discussion will help.

This is my idea for how power-ups from other games could be included in SMBC for Mario and Luigi. You could have an options menu that would change fire flowers into other power ups, like the Raccoon Leaf or Tanooki Suit or whatever. Mario's skin will change to the appropriate game skin. So with the Raccoon Leaf turned on, Mario will be SMB 3 Mario. So, in the game, Fire Mario will be replaced with Raccoon Mario or Hammer Bros Mario, or Ice Mario, or Cape Mario, or whatever.

There could be another option to turn multiple power ups on all at once. In this mode, Fire Flowers will be randomly replaced with whatever power ups you have turned on in the options menu. Perhaps, you could have it set up, so that raccoon Mario will never recieve another raccoon leaf, to ensure a variety of items appear. Everytime you get a power up as Super Mario, you won't know which power up you'll recieve, as it will be randomly selected. Inorder to solve the problem created by having a million difference skins will every powerup, in this mode, Mario starts as classic NES Mario. When Mario gets a mushroom, he grows into Super Mario Bros 2 Mario. Then when he gets a power up, his skin changes, to match the game the Power Up is from. So if he gets a raccoon Leaf, he changes to SMB3 Mario. If he gets a cape, he changes to Super Mario World Mario. If he jumps on Yoshi, he changes to Super Mario World Mario. If he gets a Fire Flower, he changes back into classic SMB Fire Mario, etc, etc, etc.

2. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I want more powerups just like you, but any powerup that's a suit would be extremely difficult to create. Not only the programming, but also the extra sprites needed to be added. Regarding powerups, I would like to see various Flowers (Ice, Gold, and Superball) because all they would require is a palette change, and anything else that wouldn't require additional character sprites for Mario/Luigi (like SMB2 powerups, for example.)

3. A.D.A.M.

Like I said, you can just have one sprite per power-up, and Mario and Luigi will just change their appearance when they get a power-up. Or you could just use Super Mario Bros 3 sprites, since that's where almost all the upgrades will come from. And there is a 16 bit Super Mario Bros 3 Sprite with a cape in the Super Mario Advanced remake of SMB 3. That could fairly easily be changed to 8-Bit. I think... I don't know how to make sprites.

4. Mitewing

What do mean by one sprite per powerup? Suits like Takooki and Hammer require multiple sprites for walking and running animations. The flowers only require color changes, additional sprites for the projectiles and powerups, and little programming compared to the powerups you mentioned.

ThomasMink and MissingNo2 like this.
  5. A.D.A.M.

I thought you meant SMB2 styled, SMB3 style, Super Mario World style, sprites.

6. Mitewing

For each powerup suit you add, each and every skin will need to have those animation sprites added. Flowers and other non-Suit powerups would require much less work to be implemented. If there's a way for powerups to be added for specific skins like only SMW Mario/Luigi gets a cape and SMB3 Mario/Luigi gets Tanooki (which currently there's not), that may be more doable but would still require a lot of additional sprites.