Not a Bug used to jump while running

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by steamerthesteamtrain, Nov 4, 2013.

1. steamerthesteamtrain

steamerthesteamtrain Level 3: Paratroopa

i remember when the crossover 2.0 came out and i was trying to jump while running with Mario or Luigi. is this how original super Mario bros worked, and was changed to make super Mario crossover
    like it's 1985 prototype?

2. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Since Mario and Luigi are the only characters who can run, I'm assuming this applies only to one of them.
    As far as I know, both Mario and Luigi can jump while running.

3. steamerthesteamtrain

yes i better fix this

4. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I don't understand. Are you saying you can't jump with them while running? If this is the case, it is far more likely a performance/lag issue than an actual bug, since being able to jump while running is a fundamental ability for Mario and Luigi, so this would have been reported sooner if it simply wasn't functioning.

5. Beed28

Beed28 Level 5: Spiny

Now that we're on this topic, I have a very similar bug occurring on my new laptop only. Apparently, I'm not allowed to jump to the left anymore while charging as Mega Man. :(

6. sbq92

Are you playing with the keyboard? Some keyboards only allow so many keypresses at the same time. Charging + jumping + moving left might be too much. Try the same button combinations on different characters (including holding the attack button).

7. Beed28

Beed28 Level 5: Spiny

I have the jump button assigned to 'X' while I have the attack button assigned to 'A'. I had it set like that on my old laptop because this exact same situation happened if I had the attack button assigned to 'Z', so I set it to 'A' and it worked, but it won't work anymore.

8. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

Try using modifier keys like Ctrl or Shift, most keyboards allow 4-key combos with modifiers.

The real problem here are the arrow keys, they use up two keycodes so they reduce the total number of keys you can press by two.

Not even mentioning how the spacebar is almost exclusive.

9. steamerthesteamtrain

yeah take a look at this
    you clearly see he is jumping and running at the same time near the end of the video
    Go to 2:20 and you'l see

10. sbq92

I am fully aware that Mario and Luigi can run and jump in SMB. They can also do it in SMBC. I still don't understand what you're trying to say.

It's possible you're also having an issue with the keypresses like Beed. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. Mario and Luigi are perfectly capable of jumping while running in SMBC. I do it all the time whenever I play as them. In fact, I'm rarely not holding the run button whenever I play as them.

Frozsoul likes this.
  11. steamerthesteamtrain

hold the run button without letting go and try to jump.
    i tried this on a different computer and it still does the same thing

12. sbq92

Well, I don't know what else to say about this. I just tested it out using the keyboard (I normally use a controller) and I was able to run and jump perfectly fine. I had to hold all four arrow keys, and both the run and special buttons before it wouldn't let me jump. Though, I guess all that proves is that my keyboard can handle several button presses at once.

So, I guess this technically isn't a bug, but likely more of a hardware or keypress issue. I am sorry you're having this unfortunate issue. The only thing I can really suggest at this point is that you try a controller.

I'm going to label this as "Not a bug", but if anyone else has any thoughts on how to help with the issue, feel free to post.

Omicron likes this.
  13. steamerthesteamtrain

well i don't no. i just don't no
    if i ever get a new computer and it still doesn't work it must be a bug

14. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

Sounds like your keyboard can't handle the multiple key presses needed, as stated earlier in the thread.

Did you try ReNeX's proposed solution and try using Ctrl or Shift.. even if only temporarily to see if that is indeed the case?

15. steamerthesteamtrain

all right tested it and it works when i go left but not right my left key broke off so i use the shift key for left

16. Omicron

You could have said that before. That explains everything.

Also, again,
    Assign your jump or the run button to ctrl, and leave only one key as a letter.

ThomasMink likes this.
  17. steamerthesteamtrain

sorry i didn't know

18. Omicron

It's okay.

Does remapping the problematic keys to letters solve the problem?

19. steamerthesteamtrain

i just tried keys AWSD and still won't do it

20. Omicron

Well then you probably have laptop keyboard drivers wrapping keys. I give up.