Request Varia should protect from Podoboos

Discussion in 'Features' started by TheomanZero, Feb 12, 2012.

1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

The Varia Suit already protects Samus from Firebars, so why not Podoboos (the jumping fireballs) as well? They're both fire-based obstacles that only appear in castle levels, so it feels appropriate.

uglyrodent likes this.
  2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Well being protected by firebars is already a huge protection. Podoboos are not a big threat, right?

3. TheomanZero

Then it shouldn't be a big deal if we make this change, right?
    Actually, Podoboos can be a problem when you're dodging them and Bowser's fireballs at the same time.

4. Rey D

Patron

→ Protecting from Podoboos would make you go through castles without thinking. With them still harming you, it lets a little challenge. A tiny challenge. Why would you protect a podoboo when you can just wait for it to go?
    As far as I know, there's only 2 fights where there are podoboos. Just be careful.

5. TheomanZero

I just think it makes more sense. The Varia Suit protects from fire-based environmental damage. With it, you can just worry about the lava and Bowser (and in 8-4, a bunch of other things).

uglyrodent likes this.
  6. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

This seems like a tough call to me. On the one hand, it would make perfect sense. On the other hand, the line needs to be drawn somewhere. The Varia Suit could just as easily protect and Bowser's fire breath as well. Protecting against all fire-based obstacles in Bowser's castle sounds great, but since those are usually the only obstacles, fire immunity would turn the castles into simple "run to the finish" stages, when they're supposed to be some of the harder stages in the game. (This was my same argument against the fire shield as a power-up for Sonic, btw.)

I think just defense against the firebars is enough. The Varia Suit doesn't give Samus absolute fire protection in her games, so I don't think it needs to in SMBC.

huang17 and uglyrodent like this.
  7. TheomanZero

Bowser's fireball are enemy projectiles, not environmental damage. The Varia Suit only protects from environmental damage.
    There! Line drawn.

uglyrodent and sbq92 like this.
  8. Rey D

Patron

The Varia Suit protects against the castle's system stuffs. Podoboos are entities. And fireballs are from Bowser.

Scorpion42 and uglyrodent like this.
  9. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Protection from podobo leaves only Bowser and Pitfalls. Pitfalls are hardly an issue with Samus because of her great jumping, especially if she doesn't need to worry about podobos over pitfalls. You might as well just say the Varia Suit should start Samus at the bridge in every world X-4

Rey D, uglyrodent and sbq92 like this.
  10. ChozoBoy

ChozoBoy Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

As a huge Metroid fan, I don't think Samus should be protected from ANY fire with the Varia Suit. It didn't do that in Metroid, or any game since. (Only from rooms with extreme temperatures.)

Instead, I think she should interact with lava as she does in Metroid. (If she doesn't already. I haven't checked.)

Frozsoul and uglyrodent like this.
  11. sbq92

The only lava is in the pits in the castles, which makes it impossible for Samus to interact with it.

uglyrodent likes this.
  12. ChozoBoy

I mean that when she falls in lava, she constantly takes damage but does not die immediately like Mario.

[​IMG]

13. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

But she will die immediately. The lava isn't ACTUALLY there, it's just a sprite to add context to the fact that it's a bottomless pit.

sbq92 likes this.
  14. sbq92

So, add a "bottom" to the lava so she can stand in it? Also, "constant damage" in SMBC is two hits: damage and death. I suppose it would be interesting if falling in would let her get hit, then jump again in mid air to get back out. That's a bit weird, though.

uglyrodent likes this.
  15. ChozoBoy

Yeah I know, but that is what should be changed for her. Not the Firebars. She should get a few seconds to recover from landing in it after losing her first hit/Mushroom.

That's kind of her thing in Metroid. It will be weird when the Metroid level skin is available and she dies immediately in it.

16. sbq92

This would require a whole lot of extra programming of the lava for just one character under one condition that will probably rarely get seen, since the pits are generally very easy to cross over. It doesn't seem worth it to me.

Scorpion42, Frozsoul and uglyrodent like this.
  17. ChozoBoy

It was just a suggestion to match the gameplay better. I didn't mean to say that Jay ought to spend his time doing it if he couldn't find a quick way to work it out.

sbq92 likes this.
  18. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

I honestly don't think the Varia Suit is necessary for Samus. She is well equipped to handle any of the castle challenges without it, including the firebars, especially when fully powered up. But if it stays, then I definitely agree that it's defence should be limited to the firebars only. Also as mentioned, the "lava" in SMB is just a normal pit with lava background (note that the Bouncy Pits cheat works there too) The Varia Suit would have a far better use in SMB3 (if SMB3 crossover is ever made!) which has actual lava.

On a related note, perhaps Samus' freeze beam should be able to freeze podobos?

P.S. I think we can all safely assume that none of us is ever asking Jay to do something that will require a ton of effort unless there is a huge anticipated payback for the investment.

19. TheomanZero

Okay, this is a much better idea than Varia protecting from Podoboos.

Scorpion42, uglyrodent and ChozoBoy like this.
  20. ChozoBoy

Especially with the skins that portray them as any other enemy, such as my Metroid skin's Squeept. (Which hops out of lava similarly.)

Scorpion42 and uglyrodent like this.