Request Varia should protect from Podoboos

Discussion in 'Features' started by TheomanZero, Feb 12, 2012.

1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Very well. I guess I'm willing to consider Podoboo an enemy rather than an obstacle. Although that gives me another idea . . .

uglyrodent likes this.
  2. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Yes, I realize this thread is relatively old at this point, but I have actually decided to change my stance on the issue of Varia Suit protection.

I was just playing as SOPHIA, and I latched onto the ceiling and proceeded to work my way to a spot above Bowser and out of his reach so I could just shoot away at him. This is nothing new, I do it all the time. But what I realized, however, is that SOPHIA has power-ups that grant the ability to completely bypass Bowser. So, considering this, why not let Samus' Varia Suit do the same thing? The Varia Suit could easily grant Samus immunity to all fire, thus giving her the same kind of chance against Bowser that SOPHIA gets. And She would still not be immune to Bowser's hammers (neither is SOPHIA), so there is still that danger.

So, I am now giving my support to the idea of granting immunity to firebars, Podoboos, and Bowser's fire breath. :)

TheomanZero and uglyrodent like this.
  3. TheomanZero

. . . All right then! I could return to championing this cause, now that I'm not all alone. I'm still not sure about including Bowser's fire breath, but whatever.

4. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I am also not entirely sure about Bowser's fire breath, but I know that on a few occasions I have run through a castle, ignoring firebars, and then got hit by fire breath because my mind was in "fire defense" mode, yet I even know Varia doesn't protect against Bowser's fire breath. Immunity to any fire seems like it should grant immunity to all fire.

However, I suppose we should consider skins and logic. In most cases, the firebars and Podoboos will probably be replaced by something fire-based. However, Bowser's fire breath is actually pretty much fair game for anything. So, I suppose immunity to the fire breath would probably be a bit much, and it would fail to make much sense when certain skins are being used.

So, my support is for Podoboo defense. :D

TheomanZero likes this.
  5. Overlord

Overlord Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

It did too. Zero Mission, you actually get to a Chozo statue after getting the Varia Suit. It protects from extreme heat but not lava. The only time it didn't protect against extreme heat was the first.

And, yes, freezing with the Ice Beam would be awesome. Then use them as stepping stones.

TheomanZero likes this.
  6. TheomanZero

I think of the Varia Suit as providing immunity to environmental damage, not enemy attacks. But the skin issue is a valid point too, and one that hadn't occurred to me.
    I'm actually more enamored with this idea than Podoboo defense . . . but I'd most like to have both. That shouldn't be a problem, right? (I seem to recall that the Ice Beam could freeze some things that were more like "obstacles" than "enemies" in some games.)

7. Overlord

Yea, it was. Because anyone with fire that attacked you wouldn't be immune... It was only the environment. Same with the Gravity Suit.

TheomanZero likes this.
  8. ChozoBoy

ChozoBoy Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

You must have misread what I wrote.
    Firebars are kind-of-analagous to superheated rooms, but not really. An obstacle like that in the Metroid series would damage the Varia Suit. It was clever of Jay, but I'm not sure on it. Like I said, I'd have rather had Samus be able to escape lava. (Though I recognize that this was much easier to program.)

9. TheomanZero

Look, the Blue Ring didn't protect Link from bomb explosions in LoZ, either. Super Mario Bros. contains different environments from the characters' source games, so they have to be adapted to fit. Obviously there are no superheated rooms in SMBC, but protection from fire obstacles is the same basic idea. I thought it was an excellent adaptation of the Varia Suit, and there's really nothing better that could have been done with it, except maybe extending that idea a little further.

10. Korby

Korby Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

If Samus became immune to Podobos, she'd have to be immune to Bowser's fire. That's just no fun!

Plus Varia's never protected you from Ridley sooo

11. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Um...why?

12. Korby

They're both fire projectiles, are they not? If she became immune to podobos, then logically, she'd be immune to Bowser's fire.

IF it weren't for the fact that there ARE still heated things that can penetrate the Varia suit, such as really really hot lava, the kind in Bowser's Castle that the podobos live in, so the podobos can be considered super hot and damage Samus.

Bottom line is, if Samus is made immune to podobos, there's no danger in Bowser's Castle whatsoever, which is weird because they're supposed to be really tough stages.

ThomasMink likes this.
  13. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

The first I played and got the Varia Suit, I admit to being a noob and trying to run through the level without a worry. I read it was only firebar protection, but for some silly reason my brain went, "Well.. Podobos are fire too!".. so I naturally jumped right into one without thinking about it until it caused damage. Think I did the same thing with the fire breath at one point.

Kinda what I'm feeling, despite my short and derpy anecdote.

huang17 likes this.
  14. Overlord

No I saw what you said. You said that it didn't do it in Metroid "or any game since" but it has done it after II.

15. TheomanZero

Podoboos are obstacles, not projectiles. The Varia Suit only protects from environmental damage. (Well, actually it also reduces damage from everything else, but since SMBC works on distinct hits, that's not an issue here.)
    And it wouldn't take all of the challenge out of the Castle stages. There's still the repeating maze sections and platforming over lava and bottomless pits. Podoboos aren't that dangerous anyway, unless you're dodging them at the same time as something else, usually Bowser's Fire. So it would reduce challenge, not eliminate it.

16. Overlord

And the other critters in the castle. If it protected against the Podoboos (and I assume it's the fireballs that jump out of the lava) then I wouldn't notice since I tend to avoid them anyways. But it would be cool.

17. Korby

pro·jec·tile
       [pruh-jek-til, -tahyl] Show IPA
    noun
    an object fired from a gun with an explosive propellingcharge, such as a bullet, shell, rocket, or grenade.

a body projected or impelled forward, as through the air.

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Magdollite
    http://www.mariowiki.com/podoboo
    They're both alive and the Magdolite isn't stopped from the Varia suit.

uglyrodent likes this.
  18. TheomanZero

Podoboos aren't projected or impelled forward; they bounce up and down.
    That's because in the Metroid games, the Varia Suit protects from superheated rooms. But there are no superheated rooms in Super Mario Bros, and the Varia Suit has to protect from something, so instead it protects from fire-based obstacles, since it's the same basic idea of protection from heat-based environmental damage.
    In other words, the Varia Suit necessarily works differently in Metroid and SMBC, so comparisons like the above are completely irrelevant.

19. Korby

Ah, but Podoboos are not obstacles. They're recurring enemies, and you can kill them, unlike fire bars. Look at the eyes, man, the eyes!

20. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

No you can't. At least not in Super Mario Bros. (i.e. the game they're in).
    [​IMG]
    Eyes?