Request Varia should protect from Podoboos

Discussion in 'Features' started by TheomanZero, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Korby

Korby Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Wall of images.
    Yes.
    [​IMG]
    Eyes.
    [​IMG]
    Eyes.
    [​IMG]
    Eyes.
    [​IMG]
    Eyes.
    [​IMG]
    Eyes.
    [​IMG]
    Eyes.
    [​IMG]
    Eyes.

Anyway, even if you can't kill them in this game, they're still enemies and not obstacles, meaning varia should not block them.

World 1-1 and Mitewing like this.
  2. Overlord

Overlord Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

If they are alive then it shouldn't be blocked.

3. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

I think this is one of those debatable issues with no clear solution. If you make the varia suit protect against all forms of fire, then castle levels (and Bowser) will be way too easy and you'll have a problem with skinning (for example, someone could easily want to skin firebars into a row of spikes instead). If you make the varia suit protect only against firebars, then it seems unintuitive and illogical when facing podobos and Bowser's fire (why protection from one form of fire and not another?) I think the easiest solution to this problem is to simply get rid of the Varia suit. It's usefulness is limited only to the castle levels (25% of all levels), and as I previously mentioned, Samus has quite enough power-up upgrades in her arsenal to easily defeat all levels without a problem.

4. Korby

Korby Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Alternatively, it could make her immune to projectiles thrown/launched by enemies and maybe Bullet Bills, but that's stretching it rather far.

5. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

We don't need to get rid of it. It's iconic to the original game and makes Samus unique. Can't we just imagine podoboos and Bowser fire are much, much hotter than the firebars?

huang17 likes this.
  6. Frozsoul

I don't disagree that it's iconic and unique. But it's original use in Metroid was to protect from lava, which should be even hotter than podoboos and Bowser fire, which comes back to the "logical" problem.

7. Overlord

Only if you are a pro at SMB and can keep all your upgrades till the end.

It was only made to increase resistance to damage in the original. Later on it was made to protect against extreme temperatures such as heat and ice but that was only elemental damage and not attacks from enemies or enemies themselves. Gravity suit is the one that protects against Lava and enables free movement in water and water-like environments.

8. Frozsoul

Well that's also true for all other characters, no?

That just makes the case for removing the varia suit even stronger, since there is no health bar currently in SMBC to reflect increased resistance to damage. Although perhaps the varia suit could simply provide one extra hit from anything without losing your power-ups (just losing the suit)?

9. Overlord

Si. Just that people who aren't that great at this game won't find it easier playing as one character over another. I mean, I am a huge Metroid fan but still have a hard time playing this as Samus. Sad but true.

I prefer it the way it is. If it protects against all fire then that's fine, if not oh well. lol I mean there is more to Bowser and his castle then fire. You got the hard shelled turtles, plants and the later Bowser's throw hammers and lots of them. So just being able to walk through some fire shouldn't make a difference. Pretty much the fire almost never hits me anyways. If I'm killed it's by something else.

10. ChozoBoy

ChozoBoy Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Varia never protected from fire at all in any game.

The only reason I can see why Jay might have set it this way is so that the Varia had a function in the harder one-hit-and-die mode of SMBC. I suppose that's a valid reason, but I haven't seen anyone else bring that up yet.

uglyrodent likes this.
  11. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

12. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I wouldn't mind having Ice Beam freeze Podobos and keeping the Varia Suit's ability to protect against firebars.

uglyrodent likes this.
  13. Overlord

Fire is a form of heat... If you want to be literal then it doesn't but thinking of fire or a simple flame then it does.

14. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Fire is not actually heat.

Fire is what happens when an object or material combusts, which is the process of releasing a lot of energy in the form of heat and light forming a structure known as a flame. Ir produces heat, true, but fire is not in and of itself heat. Samus's suit guard against heat (and thus, most of the actual effect of fire) but if the super heated air is shot with enough intensity, it could reasonably damage her suit. Alternately, it could handle a certain amount of heat, and a direct blast of that much heat at once could be too much for the suit to absorb.

Omicron and ChozoBoy like this.
  15. Overlord

I had it backwards. Fire gives off heat. (Plus I don't need to know how fire is made since I know how it is made, I'm not 5)
    Samus' suit protects against "extreme temperatures" both hot and cold. So superheated air like in a volcano, is protected by the Varia Suit. The source of that heat, lava, is not. If it is a temperature then it is protected. The amount it can protect is unknown but it's obvious that the % is high. Either way, I had it backwards. xP

uglyrodent likes this.
  16. TheomanZero

How many times do I have to say this?
    It is impossible for the Varia Suit to work in SMBC the same way it worked in Metroid because superheated rooms do not exist in SMBC. But Jay wanted to put it in the game because it's a pretty iconic power-up. So he gave it another function that made sense in a way and was useful.
    IT IS NOT RELEVANT WHETHER OR NOT THE VARIA SUIT EVER PROTECTED FROM FIRE OBSTACLES IN METROID. JAY MADE IT WORK IN A REALLY CLEVER WAY SO STOP POOPING ON HIS GENIUS.

huang17, Mitewing and sbq92 like this.
  17. Overlord

I think he was talking to me really.

18. TheomanZero

I'd like to say that I still support this idea or killing Podoboos with armor-piercing weapons, whichever one sbq92 prefers (and judging from his comments earlier in the thread, he prefers this one).

19. Sean649

Sean649 Level 1: Goomba

Remember this, Varia Suit only protect samus (in her games) from high and cold temperature, like in the magmoor caverns, even with the varia suit, you still take dammage from fire creatures.

like this one:
    [​IMG]

I've play every single metroid games and finish them all, so I remember that there's ONLY the gravity suit (in some games) that could protect her from fire and lava. but, at least, she were still vulnerable to fire attacks.

20. TheomanZero

Everyone already knows this and it is completely irrelevant to the discussion. The Varia Suit cannot possibly protect from hot and cold rooms in SMBC because there are no hot or cold rooms in SMB. Protection from fire damage is the closest thing we can do that makes sense and fits the SMB gameplay. This has been discussed time and time again, and if you'd actually read any of the relevant threads before posting, you would know this.

The only thing being debated here is whether or not the definition of "fire damage" should be broadened to include Podoboos. The basic functionality of the Varia Suit is not up for debate and will most likely never be changed.

Rey D and uglyrodent like this.