Request Varia should protect from Podoboos

Discussion in 'Features' started by TheomanZero, Feb 12, 2012.

1. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

Here's my take on this. Ordinary heat stuff like lava and fireballs don't do anything to Samus, but heat sources coming straight from or ARE life forms damage her. So basically Podoboos would damage her since they're living fireballs.

2. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

At this point I'm really more interested in killing Podoboos with armor-piercing weapons thanks to the upcoming SMBS update. sbq92 said that Podoboos are currently not coded as enemies and thus can't be killed, but he's thinking of changing it eventually so that they can be killed by the Hammer (and possibly all armor-piercing weapons).

uglyrodent likes this.
  3. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I think instead of just saying "yeah AP weapons should kill pobobobos", we should think about it on a character-by-character basis

Some characters have a horrid time at the later bowser fights and could use something like that.

But Samus already benefits from Varia at bowser fights, she can ignore the firebars and focus more on poodobo and hammers, she doesn't need more help

In fact I believe if samus has Varia that means there's no reason for her to even be that close to bowser, since her range is maxed out. Sit back and pop pop pop watch koopa kings drop.

Mitewing, Rey D and uglyrodent like this.
  4. TheomanZero

I respect what you're saying, but I think it would be easier for the developers (and for us to understand) if there were two kinds of damage: "Normal" and "Armor-Piercing", rather than "Normal", "Armor-Piercing but doesn't kill Podoboos", and "Armor-Piercing and also kills Podoboos".

In Mushroom Kingdom Fusion (which I still love despite its flaws), every attack has both an "attack power" and a "killing power". The first determines how much damage it does, the second, what enemies it is capable of damaging. There are several different degrees of "killing power", different enemies are vulnerable to some "killing powers" and immune to others, and it can be difficult to keep track of what works with what. I'd like to keep things simple and intuitive in SMBC.
    Come to think of it, this could act as a balancing mechanic: close-range fighters could kill the Podoboos to make it easier to get close to Bowser, but for long-range fighters like Samus, the Podoboos might intercept missiles and such.

5. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

If only the ability to destroy projectiles for Ryu and Simon were finally added, this would solve problems for them. Not sure about Link though because I envision his shield would block projectiles so I don't know how that would work.

6. TheomanZero

According to MissingNo2, Podoboos (and Bowser's fireballs) are considered "enemies" by the game's code, but Firebars are not (MN2 called them "projectiles", but I think "obstacles" is more appropriate). In that case, it makes perfect sense that the Varia Suit protects against Firebars but not Podoboos, as it only protects against fire-based obstacles, not fire-based enemies (and in the Metroid games, the suit upgrades only provide total immunity to environmental damage, not enemy damage). Therefore, I am officially dropping this request in favor of this one.

Mitewing, Rey D and MissingNo2 like this.