Request Vic Viper Discussion

Discussion in 'Characters' started by CowboyJoseph64, Jul 27, 2013.

1. CowboyJoseph64

CowboyJoseph64 Level 6: Lakitu

Hi, this is just to discuss Vic Viper from Gradius. I did a quick search but didn't see this thread, so tell me if it's already made.

So, i should start off the thread with ideas, huh? hmm... maybe an assortment of paratroopas and bullet bills can kinda fill the level when you're playing as him? i mean, land levels, forget them. underground? now we're talking. underwater? hell yeah! sky? not as difficult, but still decent. so, yeah, we need to come up with ideas to make the over world more challenging. DO note that vic viper is probably going to make it in, because his sprites are found within SMBC's files.

2. coolman

coolman Level 5: Spiny

What is you source for the vic viper file inside the game?

3. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

4. CowboyJoseph64

5. coolman

coolman Level 5: Spiny

I know this website since a lot of time,and it is the first time I see the SMBC article.

6. CowboyJoseph64

yeah... but anyways, BACK ON TOPIC!

7. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Levels could always have Bullet Bills firing from off screen and Lakitu always throwing Spinies from above. It was mentioned by Jay and Ryuza that the screen would always be auto scrolling.

Another idea is that all pipes could have Red Piranha Plants. That's all I got for now.

8. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

The scrolling would probably freeze if you made a Beanstalk spawn.

9. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Jay actually confirmed that it's real and he was wondering when people would find it.

Mitewing likes this.
  10. Mitewing

Anyway I doubt Vic will be in 3.0. Version 3.1 is a possibility though! :)

Alkerion likes this.
  11. JAGUARHX

JAGUARHX Level 2: Koopa

Sugestion to Vic Viper's game mechanic/playability:

-Jump button: The Vic Viper can make a little ''jump'' like a a flying. But, if the player hold the button, Vic Viper can flying like the Sophia 3 in hovercraft/flying mode item. Maybe, this flying ability in Vic Viper is only possible if have take the ''Mushroom'' item. That way is possible make a Vic Viper dont be ''over power character''. Is a game mechanic based in the classic game ''Joust'' !
    -Attack button: Shoot like the Gradius/shmups games
    -Hold Attack Button: ''Mega blast''... load a power blast like Megaman
    -Button ''C'' : change the weapon.
    - ''Up Arrow'' + Button ''C'' or Attack button: bombs or missiles
    -''Down Arrow'' + Attack Button: Option/orbital droid attack or change your position
    -''Down Arrow'' + Jump (in the ground) : Dash or dash attack
    -Attack + Jump buttons (in the ground) : reverse attack (Vic Viper burning the enemys in ''your back'' with the fire of turbine) . Dont kill the enemy but will paralize him.

-In the flying: make the Konami Kode (Up 2x; Down 2x; left; right; left;right; Jump + Attack) and gain a surprise, like power up; new weapons; cheats; or destroying all enemy in the screen. Only work a time in the stage and only if the Vic Viper take the mushroom item.

With this game mechanics i think is more easy make Vic Viper/Shmup characters to Super Mario Crossover and dont need change the all game and use a scrollrolling automatic.

I will edit my post with skin/characters alternatives later.

12. CowboyJoseph64

I just had a thought. How would he go through pipes? That would probably be a big pain in the ass.

13. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

This is too hard.

Maybe this though.

14. JAGUARHX

Sorry, my english is poor and dont understand your question completly. You said about ''how Vic Viper will enter in the pipes/warps (to another scene/stage)'' ? Or your question is about ''how Vic Viper will across the vertical pipes or something like that'' ?

I sugest make the Vic Viper like plataform character too: in my sugest about game mechanic/playability (in my past post) the Vic Viper is a platform character like the others. But with a specific change mechanic: is possible flying, but only with the mushroom item and only hold the jump button, like the Sophia 3. I hope explain better the idea.

15. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

That could easily be a thing about him. It's can't climb vines or enter vertical pipes. In other words no shortcuts for Vic, you must fly through every single level.

On a different idea I feel like we should have all enemies and stuff that anyways are on the stage, no replacing and stuff. Instead it should just have extra enemies and hazards. There would be like more hammer bros, flying koopas and so on.
    We don't need anything special for his controls, move and shoot. It could easily just need one button for attack and that is it.
    I think the powerups could be maybe random and unpredictable. You find your flashy powerup and it gives you a random upgrade, maybe you get missile or laser or option etc.
    Vic would be a very interesting and unique character.

Mitewing and Alkerion like this.
  16. Mitewing

Vic Viper doesn't need to be a platforming character. His gameplay doesn't allow for jumping to be added.

TheomanZero likes this.
  17. JAGUARHX

I agree. But, if Jay dont will want a true ''character like shmup'' in the game, we need make sugestions to this idea (Vic Viper in the game) dont ''die''. In the other words: many ideas = many possibility. :)

If Vic Viper turn a true shmup character with unique ability/gameplay i will love. But, this game is a Jay's game... nobody know what Jay will choose or drop. Because this is good make MANY sugestions and hipotesis. :)

18. Urutsune

Well it can't walk and jump like simple platformer characters. It would be awkward if it would move like that.

19. JAGUARHX

You are right. But, is a simples point of subjectivity : imagine this ship (Vic Viper) like ''flying'' close the ground. Like a helichopter. He dont need touch the ground. The jump button is like a ''short flying high''. Is like a Vic Viper ''with out combustive'' or something like that. But, after take the mushroom item, is possible flying all screen, holding jump button. If Vic Viper lost your item (bacause a hit) he will fall and return to first/start mode: short flying moves. Is dificulty, I know, but is a just form to make this ship like a platform character without turn a overpower character.

You are understand this explanation (with my bad english :) ) ? Is that my sugestion in the case of Jay dont will want a true shmup character with freedom of flying in all screen.

20. Urutsune

That seems not necessary though. The stages are just needed to be tweaked for Vic. So far everyone acts like how they do in general, this would be a way too big change in my opinion.

Mitewing likes this.