Video game character Homages/ripoffs/ideas for Super Retro Squad

Discussion in 'Exploding Rabbit' started by Zyborg, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Zyborg

Zyborg Level 5: Spiny

I have some ideas for SRS characters, but I'm not on the development team. So I decided to just share my ideas. Also, anyone who wants to post their ideas of video game homage characters, or fan game ideas that don't directly use the original games' characters/settings, go ahead.

Sonic - The evil Doc Zybir is trying to take over the world with robots, a flying fortress, and a few modified animals. Zybir has invented the "Overclock" chip, which can increase the power of animals while allowing him to control them. Most attempts have failed, but a few have succeeded. The greatest of his 'creations' is Buster the Sloth. Buster - due to the overclock chip - now has super speed and strength. However, something went wrong. It also increased his intelligence, and allowed him to rebel. He now fights Zybir's robots, and tries to defeat the animals to destroy the chips powering and controlling them.

There are a few differences in gameplay from Sonic the Hedgehog. Buster plays like a combination of Sonic and Knuckles. He has a jump attack, a dash attack, and can climb walls. However, his jump attack will be different, probably. :p (not sure what yet.) His dash attack, instead of a spin dash, is more like Sonic CD's Super Peel-Out, but Buster "windmills" his arms, thus adding the semi-invulnerability Spin Dashing grants. This allows you to destroy numerous types of obstacles, and can send some things flying. When jump attacking, you can hit the jump button and a direction to spin like a drill with his claws forward in that direction, and it also allows you to stick to the wall and climb it. If you want to climb faster, and the wall is at ground level, you can charge your Windmill Dash next to the wall. His spinning arms will allow you to rapidly scale the wall, and if you jump off, your arms continue spinning, so you can rapidly climb the wall you 'wall-jump' to.

Another difference from the Sonic games is the change from Rings to Power Cells/Power Orbs/ Engergy Thingies. You collect them like Rings, but you don't lose them when hit. Instead, you have a sort of a life meter. It starts out empty, meaning one hit can kill you. As you collect Energy Thingies, the Energy Meter slowly fills up sections. When hit, a complete section is drained, along with any spare Energy not completely filling a section. If all you have is the spare Energy, it counts as if you had 0 sections, and getting hit will still kill you.

There are three types of bosses - Robot Bosses, Animal Bosses, and Doc Zybir himself as the endboss. Robot Bosses are the most common type of boss. They can be mini-bosses or regular bosses. Animal bosses are rarer. They are only ever mini bosses. Instead of destroying them, defeating them causes their Overclock chips to short out, and they either return to normal, or the chip glitches like yours and they become smart enough to be your allies.

Buster the Sloth has its own Transformation system, like Super Sonic. You can find Warps to his 7 hidden hideouts. This allows you to play a mini level. What makes this different - and more difficult - than Sonic is that these are actual levels within levels. If you are killed within the Special Level, you will lose a life like in any other level, and be sent back to the regular level. However, if you get to the end, you can destroy a special machine. This doesn't seem to do much. However...

Entering these "secret hideouts" actually benefits Doc Zybir. If you look closely in the background of the secret mini-levels, you will notice cameras. He is actually gathering data on you. Once you complete the seventh one, he has enough data to finish a cyborg sloth to counter you - Buster II. He will then replace the soonest robot Boss (not one of the animal Bosses). Beating him will allow your Overclock chip to take the data from his Overclock chip, and grant you a new, robot/cyborg form. This is like the Super transformation. Basically, if your Energy is full (or half-full? Not sure), you are able to transform into (Buster Alpha? Buster Max? Buster Prime?). This is like a cross between Super Sonic and Metal Sonic. It continuously drains your Energy Meter, however, and once it is empty, you turn back to normal. The rate of drain is slow, but is sped up by using the special abilities like flight/hovering, Homing Attack, etc.

Great idea, or the greatest?

2. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

SRS Frog.jpg
    Still waiting...

3. JoMamma

JoMamma Level 6: Lakitu

4. Uprising

Uprising Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Well, an idea I have is Abyss, as in Pit from Kid Icarus. Difference is he's all red and he's an angel of death.

5. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

What hairstyle could I give an asparagus other than an afro? Speaking of afros...

JoMamma likes this.
  6. Zyborg

That's easy. Asparagus dreadlocks.

7. Thojoewhit

Thojoewhit Level 3: Paratroopa

i have a idea for a ridley homage.

A phantom bat that shoots sonic waves and uses his legs to grab you.

8. Zyborg

Or a feathery dinosaur. I think it should be named Ripley, either way.

9. Thojoewhit

Zyborg said
    that's a good idea but the name can be work on like Ripure or cryley

10. Zyborg

Ridley as in Ridley Scott, the creator of the movie Alien. Ripley as in Ellen Ripley, protagonist of Alien.

11. Thojoewhit

oh that's clever man!
    So shall we ponder on a kraid homage?
    Like a triceratops thing?

12. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Please don't triple post, it's taking place for nothing.
    Use the "edit" button.

13. Thojoewhit

sorry fix'd

14. Game&Watcher

Game&Watcher Level 3: Paratroopa

Bass Clef- Rival to "Mecha Boy," with his pet robo-coyote, Stretto (had to look up good musical terms and liked the sound of it), Clef aims to be the strongest cyborg ever and beat Mecha Boy in a fight.

15. Powerstars

Powerstars Level 3: Paratroopa

Maybe for a boss, a porcupine inspired by Sonic. Why as an enemy? Well, all the characters are inspired by NES games, right?

Faruga likes this.
  16. Game&Watcher

Game&Watcher Level 3: Paratroopa

Wasn't there one in Super Mario World or something?

17. mitsymckenzie777

mitsymckenzie777 Level 6: Lakitu

I think your thinking of Super Mario Bros. 2 But how about trying to save a western style town from two snakes made out of squares named shaker and coil as a homage to Snake Rattle N Roll