Request Wario and Waluigi in SMBC!!!

Discussion in 'Characters' started by SMBC, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

[​IMG]

Luigicat11 and sbq92 like this.
  2. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

What?

3. CouchTomato

CouchTomato Level 2: Koopa

What the hell happened to this topic.

And Waluigi guy, this game is a cross-representation of different platformer characters/franchises that made it big in the NES/SNES era.

1) Waluigi was never in a platform game of his own. Big strike right there.
    2) Waluigi didn't come until the N64. Another strike.
    3) Waluigi never had a game of his own or at least figured prominently as a secondary playable character (Luigi, Bass). Yet another big strike.
    4) He is a neglected character never really used by Nintendo. Why does he deserve a spotlight when he can't even be recognized by his own parent company?

All of these pretty much easily exclude him from being a possible candidate. You'd have better arguments for him in a comprehensive MARIO fangame or even a Smash Bros fangame (see Super Smash Flash 2 and Super Smash Bros Crusade, which both feature -- or will feature -- Waluigi).

On a side note, I'm playing Psycho Waluigi right now and it's a pretty damn good fangame. That doesn't affect any of the arguments above though.

4. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

[​IMG]

Luigicat11 and Dinospy_01 like this.
  5. Crownjo

He has a point. I hate it when people want characters that aren't from NES era games.(This could slightly change someday. Gameboy is also 8-bit.)

The idea is to bring good characters in SMBC. SNES skin makes it look cool while retaining the 8-bit gameplay.

6. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

And yet, Waluigi is just as iconic among gamers as Wario is. You can hardly think of Wario now without thinking about Waluigi, as well. They're a pair, like Mario and Luigi.

That being said, Waluigi's lack of presence in any game from which SMBC can properly draw movesets does complicate matters for including him in SMBC. I think he makes a good skin for Luigi (which someone made, though I don't remember who...coolman, perhaps?), but as a character, I'm not sure how well he could be designed to be faithful to the character, mainly because there is little to be "faithful" to. He currently has nothing unique to offer that Mario, Luigi, and maybe eventually Wario don't already bring to platformers. I find it unlikely that Jay would base Waluigi off of fan games, because he is working with official material, so games like Psycho Waluigi are probably out (as awesome as it would be to see that version of Waluigi in the game).

I guess we can hope that Nintendo makes some sort of platformer with him in it. They had a great opportunity with that Wario game for Wii that came out a few years ago, though, and they didn't take it. They could have given Waluigi different moves that would have helped him reach places Wario couldn't. That was an unfortunate missed opportunity.

Luigicat11, coolman and Crownjo like this.
  7. Crownjo

I don't mind if Waluigi was a skin For Luigi. However there is many characters like Getsu Fuma who are much superior to add for SMBC then a character who never played huge roles. I know at least Wario played bigger roles. I wouldn't mind if Wario was added.

I haven't played Psycho Waluigi yet is it good? I remember in a contest it beat SMBX making it 2nd place.

8. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Psycho Waluigi is quite good. It's weird, but it's good.

9. coolman

coolman Level 5: Spiny

Yes that was me.I have made the waluigi skin.

Crownjo and sbq92 like this.
  10. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

Yeah, no console or bit restrictions for SMBC, as it would reduce the number of possible candidates for SMBC.
    The main thing that should be put into account when choosing characters for SMBC is the uniqueness of it, how much fun would be playing with it, or maybe the possibility of using another character as a base, reducing how much you need to code for it to be done.
    Let's take Bass and Luigi as examples. Bass is a character based on MegaMan, with same physics, gameplay and weapons. However, it has a number of new features, such as multi directional shooting, dash, and double and dash jumps, which is enough to make it a unique character, and hell as fun :)
    Luigi is a more extreme example. It is basically Mario with higher jumps and lower friction, however the coding needed for it was minimum (i supose). it would be added as a character in one day or two of coding, and, as well, it's fun to play.
    Now let's see waluigi. Hmmmm...no game to be based off (excluding fangames). Well, it has games but none of his games have mechanics that would fit for SMBC without some extreme adaptation. Making up a whole gameplay for a character isn't really practical, neither it would have that feeling of playing with a character as he plays on his game.
    Really, Waluigi is cool and all, but probably it won't be cool if added on SMBC. Trust me ;)

11. CouchTomato

Waluigi is hardly as iconic as Wario is. Is Waluigi in any Wario Land game or Wario Ware game? Is Waluigi playable in Smash Bros Brawl, which brings in the biggest Nintendo mascots? If you asked people on the street if they know about Wario and if they know about Waluigi, I think you'll find a significant statistical difference between the two too.

And yes, Psycho Waluigi is good. Go play it.

TheomanZero and Crownjo like this.
  12. Crownjo

With some console/bit restrictions you still have plenty of candidates. Lifting it would end up like MKF.

TheomanZero likes this.
  13. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

Ok maybe not so much, but NES-only makes SMBC so restricted...
    Maybe 16-Bit limit should be good.

14. Crownjo

In a way we have a 16-bit skin. If you think about it SMBC isn't very restricted. But we need to remember this game has a different standard compared to other fan games which makes it awesome. When you design a game you gotta be faithful to the goal of it. If down the road the game needs to expand more then so be it.

I am not trying to put down every single idea but I learned alot on game design over the years to understand this kind of stuff.

sbq92 likes this.
  15. Lilfut

Wow, a lot got posted while I was gone.

I made a move/powerup set above, which focused on representing the games Waluigi has appeared in. Even if you removed Psycho Iris (due to being unofficial), you'd still have a fun character that plays like you'd expect Waluigi to. I think he should at least be in a poll for Next SMBC Character, even though I doubt he'd win.

Luigicat11 likes this.
  16. CouchTomato

This like talking to a wall(uigi) now... -_- Unless you can counter all of the points made above, Waluigi can't even be a valid character considered for a poll.

17. Lilfut

Well, ideally the 8-bit restriction would be removed at some point (it's just silly at this point).

18. CouchTomato

It's not even 8-Bit. Bass was introduced in the 16-bit era. I think you're ignoring (in addition to everything else said) the big fact that Waluigi is not a platforming character.

19. Lilfut

Neither is Link.

Luigicat11 likes this.
  20. CouchTomato

...Ever play Zelda II? Link's Awakening? Oracle of Ages/Seasons?

Rey D likes this.