Request Wario and Waluigi in SMBC!!!

Discussion in 'Characters' started by SMBC, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

But he's primarily based on his appearance in the original Zelda, and large parts of his moveset were adapted to fit the platformer style. His jump was made higher than in any platformer he's appeared in, for one. And he wasn't the only character who had to be changed, either. Castlevania never really focused on platforming as much as combat, so Simon's jump had to be adjusted. Ryu became able to climb any wall. That's just off the top of my head, too, I'm sure there would be more changes if I looked closer.

Luigicat11 likes this.
  2. CouchTomato

CouchTomato Level 2: Koopa

That's irrelevent though because those are just gameplay adjustments. The fact remains that they have all been platformers and thus fulfill the inclusion criteria. Link is the only oddball because he is normally not platforming, but the other points that go against Waluigi are completely in Link's favor:

1) Link is second only to Mario in mascot power for Nintendo as the hero of one of Nintendo's most successful franchises, period. Waluigi doesn't even come close.
    2) Link has been around since the NES days.

And since he has had platformer-style gameplay throughout some of his games, including one on the NES, it isn't hard to include him based on his huge strengths in other the inclusion criteria.

Rey D, TheomanZero and Crownjo like this.
  3. Lilfut

Well, whatever. I can dream.

4. Zyborg

Zyborg Level 5: Spiny

Meh. Waluigi would probably be overpowered, anyways, if you take his appearance from Mario Party 3. I mean, he kicked Bowser's butt. (Although, Daisy kinda did the same thing...) If you want to play as Waluigi, a skin for Luigi would be best. Then just turn on the underwater cheat. Viola! Waluigi's signature ability - swimming in air.

Lilfut likes this.
  5. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

http://virtualnes.com/play/?id=NES-3N

Rey D likes this.
  6. Molly Jayne

Molly Jayne Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

*Drops in on thread*

... Just posting here to make my support for Wario known. ^_^

I always thought Wario Land 1 / Virtual Boy Wario Land type gameplay would be a neat addition to SMBC. Even though it'd technically be another Mario character, it wouldn't be just another Mario clone with slightly different physics. And it makes more sense (to me, at least) than making Wario just a skin for Mario.

(Also, am I the only one that thinks, if Wario were added, that a Waluigi skin would be an interesting way to include him? I've always wondered why everyone makes Waluigi a Luigi clone when making him a Wario clone is just as likely...)

ThomasMink likes this.
  7. Lilfut

I think of Waluigi as Wario's Luigi. That is, he would play like Wario, except with more Luigi-like physics (slippery, jumping high, etc.), and maybe some different powerups.

Luigicat11 likes this.
  8. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

Yep. Wario is way different from Mario. First, it doesn't kill enemies by stomping. He just stuns them, and then he can pick tem up and throw them on other enemies/bricks. You can kill enemies by ground pounding them, however.

You can also charge into enemies, either killing it or launching them forward (depends on the game). He can also jump while charging, giving something more or less similar to Bass Dash Jump.

It also has plenty of powerups from WL1 and "forms" from WL2/3. He also has a dash headbutt on WL4, but this would be too cheap since you can just dash into hordes of enemies without taking damage.

Even if Wario is a "Mario" character, it belongs to it's own universe and, as i demonstrated before, behaves differently from mario. (heck, it doesn't even appears on any mario platfromer (excluding SM64 DS, but there he's different than on the WL series))

And about the Waluigi skin for Wario...well, Waluigi is a bit too...skinny for charging and ground pounding, but yeah, it would work.

Luigicat11 likes this.
  9. Lilfut

I'll go ahead and admit that VBWL is the only Wario Land I've played. I know.

10. TiagoDu

Seriously? That's the only one i've never played :p

11. Lilfut

It's pretty good, actually. Also, a Mario Wiki examination reveals that basically none of the Wario Land 2-4 effects would make good powerups, they're all either over- or under-powered. Some of the Master of Disguise disguises might work, though, as well as Metal Wario from SM64DS.

12. Molly Jayne

I had the same thought, too. But I figured since Waluigi's entire role in Nintendo "canon" seems to be "the joke character", trying to fit the rail-thin Waluigi into Wario's strongarm-type gameplay would open up lots of potential for comedy in the actual sprite design. He could ground-pound by falling headfirst, or flail at blocks and somehow break them, or belch fire instead of Wario's Dragon-hat attack... it doesn't have to make logical sense. It's Waluigi. :joy:

I love that game and it's the main reason I still want to track down a working Virtual Boy. I have emulators (and would even prefer them to the actual system), but nothing emulates sound for it yet. :cry:

I just loved the original Game Boy Wario Land so much when I was little, and Wario Land 2 changed almost the entire formula permanently. Took me years before I was willing to give it and the rest of the series a chance... and I'm still not a fan of 3... but Virtual Boy Wario Land gave me at least one other game with the same type of gameplay as the original.

... Anyway. Point being, Virtual Boy Wario Land is awesome. And I totally agree that the 2 through 4 mechanics don't really work for a Mario powerup system. Simplest option seems to be sticking with WL1/VBWL type gameplay. [/obvious bias]

ThomasMink, Lilfut and TheomanZero like this.
  13. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I like Virtual Boy Wario Land not just because it's a good game, but also because it helps bridge the gap between Wario Land 1 & 2 in terms of graphical style and physics.

14. Lilfut

I wish VBWL got a 3DS rerelease.

15. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I wish Virtual Boy games in general were released for 3DS VC. Partly because I think that the main reason people don't have many good memories of the VB is because RED RED I JUST BURNED MY EYES.

16. Lilfut

The problem is that most VB games weren't all that great. Other than VBWL, Jack Bros and the unreleased Bound High are the only two good games for the system I can think of. The latter would be awesome if it got rereleased, though.

17. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

Wario from WL1 would be nice to add for SMBC.

18. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I think this shows pretty well Waluigi's role:
    [​IMG]
    Wario's tool, who lives underground.

Luigicat11 and TiagoDu like this.
  19. TiagoDu

LOLOLOL
    But yeah, for the most part, it is

20. Molly Jayne

I've actually been playing the original Wario Land again, and I have some wall-of-text-y thoughts like I did in the Rad Spencer thread way back when I first joined. :3

I've made it pretty clear that I like the idea of WL1/VBWL Wario being playable in SMBC, but there are definitely some changes that would need to be made. Anyone who is really familiar with Wario Land's gameplay can probably skip this section, but the next one is my opinions on how to fit that into SMBC...

Wario Land Gameplay

Regardless of powerups:
    • Wario can stun non-spiky enemies by jumping on or just walking into them
    • Stunned enemies will get up if left alone for a while
    • Wario can pick up and throw stunned enemies at other enemies, killing both
    • Wario cannot run faster by holding a button
    • Wario can move slowly while crouching (except Small Wario, obviously, and while underwater)
    • Wario can swim while underwater
    • Wario can crack bricks by jumping into them, and break them on the second hit
    Big Wario / Safari Hat (default or 1 garlic powerup from Small Wario):
    • Wario gains the ability to charge forward and attack most enemies / break bricks from the side
    • Charge attack will continue in a straight line, even off a ledge, until finished
    • Enemies defeated this way drop a single coin
    Bull Wario (Bull Pot or 1 garlic powerup from Big Wario):
    • Wario can break bricks by jumping into them or attacking them in one hit
    • Charge attack becomes more powerful, covering more ground
    • Wario can ground-pound by pressing Down in mid-air
    • Ground-pound stuns all surrounding enemies, or instantly defeats most enemies it directly lands on
    Dragon Wario (Dragon Pot):
    • Instead of the charge attack, the dragon hat will breathe fire for a short time
    • Fire attack works underwater, though it looks different
    • Fire attack instantly defeats any enemies that can be hurt
    Jet Wario (Jet Pot):
    • Increases Wario's walking speed, jump height and greatly increases charge attack distance
    • Charge attack can be performed in mid-air, and Wario will glide downward at the end
    Most likely changes needed for SMBC
    • Wario starts as Small Wario
    • Small Wario can't break bricks? (Possibly even removing the two-hit system from Wario Land entirely...?)
    • Wario takes damage instead of stunning enemies when walking into them
    • Mushroom turns Small Wario into Big Wario, all other forms are randomly (?) found as Pots only
    • Enemies won't drop coins when defeated by a charging tackle
    • Normal walking speed might have to change to fit the bigger screen
    • Jet Wario may have to be nerfed since the attack covers insane ground... but the speed boost is nice

TheomanZero and Mitewing like this.