Considering Weapon Menu for Mega Man and Bass

Discussion in 'Features' started by TheomanZero, Feb 11, 2012.

1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Cycling through your sub-weapons with Select (Tab) works fine for Link because he only has three. However, Mega Man and Bass can have quite a few, and it's a pain to cycle through all of them. For them, pressing Select should open a Weapon Select Menu, just like in the Mega Man games -- not only would it improve gameplay, it would also be more true to the original games. Ideally, it should have multiple styles to match the different Interface Skins (NES, SNES, Game Boy).
    EDIT: While Select (Tab) brings up the menu, Special (C) can still cycle though the weapons like it currently does.

2. BTB

BTB Level 5: Spiny

Frankly, I think Link needs a weapons menu screen just as badly as Mega Man does. One of the reasons I don't use bombs or arrows is that cycling through to them takes up precious time that I usually can't spare, not to mention that the icon which displays the active weapon isn't necessarily prominent.

For that matter, Sophia could use a menu screen, too.

3. TheomanZero

I recently assigned Select (Tab) to the shoulder buttons on my gamepad, and suddenly playing as Mega Man got a lot easier. This gave me another idea: seeing as SMBC is now based on the SNES version of Super Mario Bros., could we add buttons corresponding to L & R on the SNES controller? (For the current configuration, I think A & D would be the best keys.) I mean, SMBC uses three face buttons, and the NES controller only has two, so we're partway there already.
    They could be "Cycle Left" and "Cycle Right" for Link, Mega Man, Bass, and Sophia's sub-weapons, while Select (Tab) opens a menu. This would allow for both real-time and menu-based weapon switching, and since most gamepads have shoulder buttons, players that use them would have the perfect place to put these buttons. Of course, you could do all your switching in the menu, making these buttons completely optional, so people who want to use NES gamepads would still have hope.
    I don't really know how hard it is to add buttons to a Flash game, but you added Select (Tab) to this version, so I figure it can't be all that bad.

Nitron_ZX likes this.
  4. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Don't change this! :eek: It works great the way it is! I play with a keyboard, and I use X to jump, Z to shoot, A for special weapons, and S for select. The A and S duplicate L and R weapon cycling perfectly. Yes, Mega Man and Bass have a lot of weapons, but you just need to get used to cycling through the weapons. Just keep in mind where in the list the weapon is and press the button that many times. I would be very disappointed if Jay were to change how these buttons function.

Also, when playing as other characters, A as the special weapon works very well. It's the old setup I use on SNES emulators. The A key acts as the X button on the SNES, which is often used as a special weapon button.

I will admit that a weapons screen would be very nice for hectic situations, however. That really is one of the benefits in Mega Man games. You can pause, take a breath, and take time to select your weapon.

5. TheomanZero

Okay, I didn't realize that Select and Special cycled in opposite directions. That explains some of the confusion I had before . . . and also, once I assigned them to the shoulders on my gamepad, made weapon switching as smooth as silk. I do kind of wish that Select scrolled left and Special scrolled right, though, since Tab is to the left of C on a keyboard, and Select is to the left of the face buttons on a gamepad.
    Still . . . I'd really like a menu. It's convenient, and Mega Man games had them long before real-time weapon switching. If I had my druthers, you could still assign A and S to L and R and cycle like you do now. (Special could be D or something.)
    By the way, if we do get a menu and L/R, I think that Special should be changed to "switch back to buster". That's an ability I've really wanted.

6. sbq92

Try pressing both Select and Special at the same time and see what happens. :p

Rey D likes this.
  7. TheomanZero

*mind blown*
    . . . but we still need a menu.
    EDIT: That trick should be left in by pressing L & R together, and Link should also be able to use it to switch back to his boomerang. It could also be put on Special for Mega Man and Bass, though. Or Special could be left as "Cycle Right", since you like that.

sbq92 likes this.
  8. sbq92

:D

Yeah, I was very pleased to see Jay added that little feature. I think the L+R to cancel your special weapon has been around since MM7 and/or MMX, but I may be incorrect. It is at least in MM9-10.

But I agree, a menu would still be nice.

huang17 likes this.
  9. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

wow what I had no idea

sbq92 likes this.
  10. Xman321

Xman321 Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Bass and megamans game play would be more megaman 10 then

11. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

Imo we don't need a menu. They play fine without it.

12. TheomanZero

But Mega Man has always had a weapons menu. Real-time weapon switching is a relatively recent development.

13. Xman321

actuly, staring in 7 (Correct me if I'm wrong) they started useing the thing we use now. then in 9 you could do both

14. TheomanZero

7 also had a weapons menu. There has never been a Mega Man game without a menu (except maybe those arcade games I never played), but there have been several without real-time switching.

Rey D likes this.
  15. Xman321

what about 8

16. TheomanZero

That one too.

17. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

It would be for sure easier to change your weapon, sometimes you can die changing your weapon when you're trapped by the enemy, but having to open a menu every time you want to change your weapon wouldn't be good.

18. Xman321

you could do both

huang17 and sbq92 like this.
  19. BTB

BTB Level 5: Spiny

That's how it worked in Mega Man 1-6, and I never had a problem with it. If you were the sort of person who tended to use the subweapons, you got really accustomed to switching them on the fly.

I prefer the menu to the tab cycle specifically *because* it pauses the game, thus giving you the time you need to choose the right weapon.

20. TheomanZero

This is what I'm advocating. I'd really like the addition of L & R buttons, but I'd also be quite happy with using Select to open the menu and Special to cycle forward.

huang17 likes this.