Considering Weapon Menu for Mega Man and Bass

Discussion in 'Features' started by TheomanZero, Feb 11, 2012.

1. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

Hmmm.. how did I miss this thread?

Anyway, I was never able to get the hang of using the shoulder buttons to select a weapon when it was introduced in MMX, or maybe I'm just too stubborn to take the time to learn how many presses will get me what it is I want (probably this). Granted, SMBC isn't as difficult to pick up on in that regard.. since there's one weapon taken from each 8-bit game and it cycles in order.. but still.. I tend to fumble around with the cycle buttons longer than is probably necessary. I'm more precise with the menu and it ends up being faster as a result.

I dunno though. My stubbornness aside, I don't think this is really needed at all.. but I'd be much more comfortable with a pause menu style weapon select.

2. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

If you use a keyboard, a very convenient setup for Mega Man/Bass is:

Jump --> X
    Shoot --> Z
    Special --> A
    Select --> S

The Special and Select buttons cycle through left and right, like L and R. That's how I play, and it's fantastic. And, as a bonus, the A key for special weapons works rather well for the other characters, as well. :)

3. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

What I really want is for there to be a pause menu for selecting weapons, and new "Cycle Left" and "Cycle Right" buttons for switching in real-time. What I'd settle for is just the menu. What would be better than nothing is if Mega Man & Bass' Special and Select were switched, so Special cycles right and Select cycles left. It would work with sbq92's keyboard arrangement, too. That way Special would be on "S", which would be even more convenient than "A", as you could press it with either your pointer or middle finger.
    Actually, with the current default controls (ZXC), the new cycle buttons could be A & S. Or S & D, or A & D.

huang17 and ThomasMink like this.
  4. ThomasMink

SMBC is actually the only game with the cycle system in place where I can use it somewhat effectively. This is probably due to it having a weapon setup where it cycles through each game's weapon in order.. and not having a menu to begin with. I still stumble through it, but not anywhere near as badly as I do when cycling through weapons in MMX or the classic series on the Anniversary Collection.

I just have trouble doing anything when cycling through the weapons that I find myself having to essentially stop the game anyway until I land on the weapon I want. My own little flaw, I suppose. :)

5. sbq92

I've been playing as Mega Man a lot and I still have to slow down sometimes when I'm selecting weapons. I've started getting the hang of where which weapons are in the list (e.g., when I have all the weapons, Fire Blast is 'A' three times). I'd like to master the cycling, though. Really, though, I'd like to master Mega Man in SMBC. :p

ThomasMink likes this.
  6. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

new button for weapon menu?

7. TheomanZero

Why a new button when Select would work just fine? This is exactly the sort of thing "control" buttons are for.

8. TheomanZero

Double post because it's been weeks.
    So, here's the ideal control scheme for Mega Man and Bass in my mind:
    Select: Weapon Menu
    New "L" and "R" buttons: Cycle through weapons
    Special: Dash as Bass (Down + Jump also still works)
    This leaves the question of what Mega Man's "Special" button does. I was thinking Auto-Fire, a la Mega Man Anniversary Collection. Then again, I seem to recall hearing some people complain about the Auto-Fire button in Mega Man Anniversary Collection. If you think this is a bad idea, sound off now.

9. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

Now with multiplayer coming I don't want this. I don't want someone pausing the menu to switch their weapon and I die because of this.

I can switch weapons fine with one button.

10. TheomanZero

That's why I also want the cycle buttons. I guess in multiplayer you'd have to use them. Either that or it could be set that the Weapon Menu doesn't pause the game in multiplayer.

huang17 likes this.
  11. sbq92

I think auto-fire is a bad idea for SMBC. It was okay in MMAC, but even then it made you feel like you were cheating.

I still don't see a problem with the way the buttons are set up. Especially in multiplayer, just assign Special to your left trigger button and Select to your right trigger button, and you've got L & R triggers.

I am certainly in favor of a menu in the normal game, though.

12. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I've been wondering why pushing the button on the right (C) cycles from right to left
    while pushing the button on the left (Tab) cycles from left to right.
    I feel like it should be the exact opposite...

TheomanZero likes this.
  13. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I think I'd prefer the other way round.

14. sbq92

It works perfectly using my setup, though.

Z - Shoot
    X - Jump
    A - Cycle left (Special)
    S - Cycle right (Select)

I seems like pure genius on Jay's part, you just have to set it up correctly. Also, it should be noted that A as the Special key also works well for any character. It's similar to L being the sub-weapon attack on the SNES controller, which I think is what's used in Super Castlevania IV (btw, I can't say the name of this game without thinking of Egoraptor :p).

15. Rey D

Patron

→ R button in games I know, including Super Castlevania.

TheomanZero likes this.
  16. sbq92

Oh okay, I was mistaken on that point.

The A-S really does work as L-R, though. I realize, though, that a lot of different people play with a lot of different keyboard setups. I find the current setup works absolutely perfectly for me, but for many others it is obviously a problem. I fear, though, that Jay might change it as a result of people's requests, and then my perfect setup will be lost (such as if the function of the Special and Select keys were to be swapped, that would really interfere with my playing as anyone else because S as a special attack key is awkward).

I think, then, that new buttons need to be added if things are going to change. This way, I (and anyone else who uses my method) can simply assign cycle buttons and find a new button for Special (I would be content with C as my Special button).

TheomanZero likes this.
  17. ThomasMink

This is one of those things where I'd still like to see a menu system. However, I think the current setup is fine.. special and select work well enough as they are for Mega Man and Bass, and every other character that uses them. Changing that functionality and adding in L & R buttons to replace them seems more logical, but slightly unnecessary.

Instead of adding two buttons and changing others, you can just add one button and have it work well enough without changing what is there now. It could bring up a weapon/item menu for all of the characters that use it, like Link.. not just Mega Man and Bass.

If multiplayer is ever added, however, where two players play at the same time (if it's just SMB1-style 'take turns' multiplayer, then it's not an issue), I think the menu button should probably be disabled.

18. TheomanZero

This is what I've been suggesting. Anyway, adding L & R just feels right to me because it's more like the SNES controller, which most Gamepads are based on.
    Okay, this is what I wanted to hear.
    The only other thought I had for Mega Man's Special button is for it to fire the Mega Buster even when he has another weapon equipped, but that feels sort of unfaithful to the classic games (it was only in 8), and not really necessary when you can press the Cycle buttons together to switch back to the Mega Buster any time.
    I suppose we could just leave it as an extra Cycle Forward button . . . or hell, it doesn't have to do anything as Mega Man.

sbq92 likes this.
  19. Rey D

Patron

→ I thought about it and see how you make it fit nicely.
    As the buttons are set up as Arrows + Z and X , it's kind of a "reversed" way to control. In Nintendo consoles, D-pads are on the left and front buttons on the right. I can't use the best of my skills if I play reverse, but if you're used to it and can play perfectly this way, then your configuration is fine.
    When I didn't know much about classic games and such,

Jump was Numpad Entr,
    Attack was Numpad Dec
    and Special was Numpad 0 (and eventually switched to Numpad 3).

20. sbq92

The way I do it is actually the way Rockman 7/8 FC have it set up, though you can choose to swap Z/X.