Weapon Sets for Mega Man and Bass

Discussion in 'Features' started by Urutsune, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

So a lot of people would like to see different weapons in one way or another for Mega Man right? All kind of stuff and ideas flow around how should it be but I think it is more simple then some may think.
    It should not be part of any modes nor should there be anything like permanently changing on weapons for Mega Man and Bass, instead there should be an option where you can select weapon set. The weapon set would pretty much decide what kind of weapons Mega Man (and Bass) can find when you start a game. It should not be changeable during stage so you would have to choose it before starting a game(There is no problem with loading save file since save file also remembers options) this would avoid problematic stuffs.
    Why would weapon sets be good? Because it is barely limited! There could be any kind of weapon sets like you could choose to have classic with Mega Man 1 and 2 weapons, or a 4 to 6, or a 1 to 6 to have weapons only from the NES games... etc. The list could go forever. As I said it's really not hard to think out setss, simply the weapons just needs to be made for it and that is all. With weapon set options truly any desire or need for weapons could be done. Heck after time there could even be custom where you could manually pick one by one the weapons for the findable roster and a random which would pick randomly weapons what would be findable when you start a game. Maybe it could be also made that you could pick a different weapon set for Bass so he would not be finding the same weapons as Mega Man.
    So this is my request as I think this could easily solve all the Mega Man weapon problems.

2. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I actually made a thread more or less for this topic. My thread was more for a general discussion of how all of the weapons might be included, and the discussion of weapon sets was part of that, so I guess this is a more specific thread.

My thoughts on the matter were that such a system should actually be somewhat limited. Not too limited, but not limitless. My initial idea was to have it so you select in the title menu which weapons you want to have show up from throughout the series, but the problem with that is that a lot of weapons would go unused because there are some really awesome weapons in the series that would get picked most often, and a bunch of the weaker weapons would go overlooked. This is an issue because Jay would have to program them all, so it wouldn't be very nice to have these programmed weapons go unused. So, I figured a different idea would be to have each of the games's weapon sets be selectable, with a randomization option available as well. This way, the player is at the very least forced to have certain weapons in his or her possession, and in such a case it would be more likely for someone to perhaps see where some of the weaker weapons actually have some uses. It also forces some duplicate weapons to be used, such as Plant Barrier. If you can choose any weapon, why would you choose Plant Barrier over the virtually identical Skull Barrier (assuming you think skulls are cooler than plants, which is probably a safe guess for many people)? Now, the idea of selecting multiple games from which the weapons would come still ends up forcing some limited selections, because Mega Man having access to too many weapons is just impractical, since there are only so many '?' boxes in the game.

So yeah, basically, personalizing the list is too freeing, as it causes many weapons to go unused (and therefore time is wasted programming them), but having weapon sets for each individual game, as well as a randomization option and perhaps even a SMBC option (i.e., the current available weapons), would be ideal, IMO.

3. Urutsune

Well it don't have to be every single weapon made. I personally don't even find all from one game set really good just because of that. I think only the interesting and fun weapons are what really needed. Having two basically identical weapons don't make much sense. Filling up the needed amount of weapons is really not hard if you take multiple series for a set, especially since every game had at least a few fancy weapons.
    In overall the whole weapon sets is really just a good way to have more weapons and to solve some how to have more weapons problem. I do not say it has to be used out to the max or something. Just simply can be used in however it is good.

4. Zarran

Zarran Level 4: Buzzy Beetle
    Patron

I think there should be 12 pre-made sets and the random option.

There could be 8 single game sets, 3 multi-game sets, 1-2, 3-6, and 9-10, and the SMBC set. The 1-2 and 9-10 could 4 from each game 2 from each in the 3-6. Every set aside from the MM1 set (unless you wanted to include the 2 additional weapons from Powered Up) should contain 8 weapons. The individual game sets could also include the utility items like Magnet Beam from MM1 or the Items from MM2, or they could all contain the standard Rush.

I think it would add a little more to the differences between sets. The MM5 set for example would contain the weird Rush Coil that has the spring on the bottom and the MM6 set would have the Jet and Power Adapters. This of course would be ignored with Bass.

The set system could really flesh out Mega Man and Bass giving a lot of possibilities for how to play the characters. This is all of course if the system were fleshed out to its fullest without giving control to choose each individual weapon.

Urutsune likes this.
  5. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

I think Jay should just add every non-redundant weapon (meaning only one shield weapon, only one grounded weapon, only one time-stop weapon, and so on). Or at least change the Hard Knuckle to the Search Snake, since come on really.

6. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

As long as Quick Boomerang makes it onto one of the sets, I'll be more than happy with whatever else for the others. :D

7. BassWins

BassWins Level 6: Lakitu

And as long as I get my Magnet Beams I'll be happy.

8. Zarran

Patron

I really want the jet and power adapters from MM6, that will make me happy.

Crownjo and aliceandsven like this.
  9. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

What about a combination of the two? That would be awesome.

Anyways I think having 3 weapon sets would be nice.

MM1-2
    MM3-4-5-6
    MM9-10

Thing is including every single weapon could be a programming nightmare and most would be unused. I think doing this would be simple and makes the game flow better. I think Bass having weapons from MM10 or a combination of MM9 and 10 would be kinda cool to see.

Mega Man should have two options If he has the MM1-2 weapon set he can't slide or charge. But he has the M.Beam He would have 4 weapons each from the two games.

If he has the MM3-4-5-6 set, he can slide and charge. He would have two weapons from each game and have a combination of Power Suit and Jet Suit.

I like the idea of these weapon sets because they are a mix of the interesting weapons that would make it fun for SMBC and give a very fun experience.

10. Zarran

Patron

I think that the three you mentioned are great weapon sets, but I think it would be really cool to have individual game sets. That would take a ton of programming though.

11. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

3-4 and 5-6 should be separate. 3-4 has the original Rush items and 5-6 has the Rush suits.

12. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

There better be Search Snake, though.

13. BassWins

No. Only 6 does.

14. Crownjo

Yeah I know that. That's why it would be better to have these sets. They would have the best weapons from each game.

Combining the Power and Jet Suit is my biggest want. A Power Suit with Jet capebilities would be boss.

15. BassWins

Like in MM7?

16. Crownjo

Not quite... The Power Suit fights differently in MM6.

17. Urutsune

Actually MM7 have the super adapter which suppose to be the combination of Power and Jet adapter. Hence why you can fire out fist having great strength of power adapter and can fly like with the jet adapter.

18. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I have loved the power adapter forever.

It deserves to be in.

19. Zarran

Patron

I would really prefer the two suits to remain separate. It would be cool to have them both as one, but I think it should stay as close to the original game as it can.

One idea could be to have 7-8 weapon set that includes the combined suit.

20. Urutsune

LOL Just don't say you guys also a want a RockMan & Fotre 1 and 2 set as well.