Weapon System

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Captain Rizer, Mar 5, 2011.

1. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I was thinking... Samus did get Spazer and Plasma in an 8-bit game (Metroid II: The Return of Samus). Perhaps she could get them in SMBC as well. Any thoughts on this?

2. Captain Rizer

Captain Rizer Level 5: Spiny

As long as its an extra weapon I say YES

3. sbq92

Hmm... I don't know about "extra" weapons for the characters. I don't think there should be a "Weapons: ON/OFF" option. I think Jay should (and probably plans to...) simply incorporate the weapons into the game in a reasonable and fun way. Adding it as an option seems to assume the current version is the "optimal" version and therefore any changes need to leave the current version untouched and be included as options or cheats instead. That's not to say there can't be some sort of "extra weapons" option in the future, but I think for now any weapons being added should simply be incorporated properly, and perhaps even some "extra weapons" could make it into the main game (such as Samus' Spazer and Plasma beams--let's face it, Samus' full arsenal is actually pretty slim, even with the missiles and bombs).

4. powergo

powergo Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

For Sophia, her extra weapons are lightning, three way missile, and homing missile.

5. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

These could be random items the enemies drop and there should be a weapon menu for Sophia just like in Blaster Master.

6. sbq92

Here's yet another idea:

In the vein of Mega Man 10, special stages could be made for each character that unlock permanent special weapons upon completion. The special stages could use the SMBC engine, and using the skins that will be implemented some special stages could be designed for each of the characters. For example, a Metal Man style level could be made that is of a harder difficulty than SMBC levels, but finishing it grants the Metal Blade for Mega Man, and he always has it from that point on. And, each of these special stages has to be unlocked by completing the one before. So, for example, there could be five special stages for Mega Man, but only one is open to begin with. After completing that first level, you then unlock the second one, and so on. This method allows for normal gameplay in the main game, but also special opportunities for those who wish to obtain the special weapons.

The special levels wouldn't all have to be ridiculously difficult, but they should be somewhat tricky at least, and they should ramp up in difficulty as you unlock more of them. So, Mega Man's first special stage would be somewhat difficult, then the next one would be even harder, then by the fifth one you've got a level that has the equivalent difficulty of the beginning of 8-2 if it also had flying fish and a few more paratroopas. :p Yes, it's difficult, but not impossible, especially since you've been unlocking special weapons along the way. :)

Here is an example of possible Mega Man's special stages:

Special Stage 1: Guts Man skin, moderate difficulty.
    Rewards: Super Arm, Rush Marine

Special Stage 2: Star Man skin, hard difficulty, could use water physics for space theme.
    Rewards: Star Crash, Rush Jet

Special Stage 3: Standard Overworld skin, hard difficulty, lots of Hammer Bros.
    Reward: Arcing Hammer (Hammer Bro. weapon)

Special Stage 4: Standard Bowser's Castle skin, very hard difficulty, possibly multiple Bowsers.
    Reward: Koopa Flame

Special Stage 5: Metal Man skin, very hard difficulty.
    Reward: Metal Blade

7. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

No custom stages for me, please. I don't know why I don't like the idea, maybe I feel it's overcomplicating things.

I like Mega Man as he is. Getting Fire Power from the Fire Flower makes sense to me.

8. sbq92

Playing the special stages would be optional, of course. People who don't want to play them can just not play them. However, That would mean people who don't like the special stages or can't finish them wouldn't get special weapons, and that would suck...hmm... I like the idea of special stages, but I also like the idea of unlocking per difficulty, and even per world. Basically, when it comes down to it, I really just want to see special weapons in the game, and starting with all of the special weapons available seems rather boring to me.

9. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

How about "Game Boy: ON/OFF"?

10. Jcogginsa

Jcogginsa Level 3: Paratroopa

here's how i think we should handle extra weapons

sprinkle in some of mario's later power ups for him, then when another character gets one, they get an equivalent powerup from their series.