News Website Upgrades & What's Next?

Discussion in 'News' started by Jay, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

Website Upgrades

I finished working on the website about a week ago. The new setup should be self-explanatory. The forums are for talking about stuff, the Resources section is where most of the site's content is, and the Media section is where you can find images and videos. Most of the information from the wiki was moved to the resources section, but the old wiki is still available for now. I'm not done transferring all the info yet.

It is possible for other people to contribute their own resources and media, but I currently have this functionality turned off. If you'd like to contribute something, let me know. A system like this would have been useful when more people were talking about Super Mario Bros. Crossover, as it would have been cool for people to write their own guides and submit skins with it. Guides could still be useful if anyone is up for it.

Lastly, as promised, the forums that were unrelated to Exploding Rabbit were closed on December 17th. Members of the community created a new forum called New Game+. They were supposed to import the closed forums from here, but they haven't done it yet. They already have the data, so it's completely out of my hands now.

And last lastly, I removed the www from our url. It's now just http://explodingrabbit.com. :D

What's Next?

Back when we put Super Action Squad on hold, we mentioned that we were going to make a smaller game. We had been doing that, but we stopped because I was basically the only one working on it due to time constraints for the rest of the team. It was after that that I started experimenting with the HTML5 port of Super Mario Bros. Crossover and later Super Retro Crossover.

Circumstances changed a bit, and we were able to resume that smaller project. Internally, we call it Mini-SAS (pronounced Mini Sass; short for Mini Super Action Squad), because it was inspired by making a smaller version of that game. It's a different genre, but you'll understand the connection when you see it.

For the development of this game, we're applying a lot of lessons we learned over the last two years; especially prototyping and minimum viable product. Before starting development, we made a board game version to make sure it was fun... and it was! So anyway, it's a very unique game, and I'm excited to be working on it again. Look forward to more news on Mini-SAS as it develops.

Effects on Previous Plans

Since I'm back to working on a commercial product, my work on fan projects will either slow down or stop. I was wondering if it is possible for me to still work on Super Retro Crossover and just consider it more of an experiment than a game. I'm still undecided on it. It's fun to work on, but at the same time, I know time spent on that is time not spent on Mini-SAS; although I'd still be improving skills and building my codebase. I'm also aware that most people have no idea what I was planning with that game or even what it is. We'll see if I have the time to do anything with it.

Since I'm not working on Super Retro Crossover now, I obviously won't be continuing the development log. I wish there was a way for me to do it for Mini-SAS, but it's not as straightforward with an original game. I'd like to come up with a solution for that because I don't like disappearing for long periods of time, but I still haven't thought of one.

That's it. Happy holidays and stuff!

Faruga likes this.
  2. Flamin/Super Dark Prince

Flamin/Super Dark Prince Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Why did you take out Private Chat?

3. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

because who gives a shit about it any more
    it costs money, and if this isn't a group of friends chatting about whatever there's no point having it

4. supersaiyangodgoku2

supersaiyangodgoku2 Level 2: Koopa

what happened to the old threads were they moved or removed?

5. pikafan8

pikafan8 Level 5: Spiny

Mitewing and Faruga like this.
  6. Flamin/Super Dark Prince

[cut]
    What's next, you ask? Well, how bout the next SMBC update?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2014
  7. BBQTurkeyzZ

BBQTurkeyzZ Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

smbc isn't in development anymore
    it's been like that for months.

8. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Unfortunately, what he said. And FSDP, this isn't the place to discuss whatever is going on in a different forum.

Faruga, DarkBowser007 and pikafan8 like this.
  9. Flamin/Super Dark Prince

[cut]
    So what do I think's next? How bout the ability to make mods for SMBC?

10. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Modding would be great, but I don't believe that's possible unless Jay releases the code.

11. pikafan8

pikafan8 Level 5: Spiny

[cut]
    looking forward to what's to come!

12. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

All off-topic content has been cut off the thread by me. Please keep this thread on the topic of: "Website upgrades" and "what's next [for Exploding Rabbit]".
    Thank you!

13. Flamin/Super Dark Prince

[ok you can stop now -faruga]

So if SMBC isn't being updated anymore, I think it's a good time to release the code, am I not correct?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2014
  14. Jay

No. It will be a better time when ER is financially sustainable and doesn't need exposure from SMBC.

15. Johnny

Johnny Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I guess I'll be honest its been a while since I've been around. I'm happy you guys are still doing stuff and I'm not sorry at all I pledged any money towards the projects. I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully when you guys do finish I'll get a copy of whatever it is you're making.

Faruga likes this.
  16. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Is that new banner for people who donated?

17. Jay

Yep. I should have done something like that along time ago.

Jessy, Mitewing and Faruga like this.
  18. DarkBowser007

DarkBowser007 Level 6: Lakitu

i intended to leave when most of the forums were taken down
    but my curiosity about what's to come has kept me here

keeping being awesome, Jay. good luck with your future projects.

Faruga, pikafan8 and Mitewing like this.
  19. BBQTurkeyzZ

BBQTurkeyzZ Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

i'm here but not as often
    i'm still interested in er; i dont have it set to auto load when i open chrome anymore but i still have it bookmarked
    i made a thing for smbc even though it's shitty and pointless last week
    so yeah
    glhf jay

20. Flamin/Super Dark Prince

You know what would be good for ER[...]? Not being idiots with web design;
    [...]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2015