Fixed Weird Sliding

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by uglyrodent, Mar 12, 2013.

1. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

I have no idea what triggered this. I hadn't changed the skins prior to the video, but I had been messing with it for a few seconds before I decided to record.

I tried running then ducking to slide under the wall in 1-2, as I am wont to do, and I guess something I did stuck me in a sliding mode.

Hitting a direction made me slide in that direction indefinitely, holding the direction made me slide faster. Jump didn't work.

Alkerion likes this.
  2. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

From a programmer's point of view, Mario is clearly stuck in jumping/aerial mode, but since he is contacting the ground he is unable to gravitate. Being unable to gravitate, he won't ever gain vertical speed. With no vertical speed, there is no landing, ever :p

Alkerion likes this.
  3. uglyrodent

Yeah, I'd figured that much out cause of using the jumping frame and not being able to jump.

4. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

It's just very odd that he wouldn't land, considering the fact he's touching the ground, even though there is no vertical speed. When i program a platformer - given i failed miserably several times until getting to this engine i use on my game - being landed or not depends solely on the presence of soil underneath; This way, if something were to remove that soil, or move the character elsewhere, the character would automatically adjust to the new conditions.

This can be achieved on the previous system by forcing a zero-speed jump everytime there is a teleport or the stage changes, but this only covers expected situations. I guess that's what is being done currently on the game.

Alkerion likes this.
  5. uglyrodent

It might have to do with how I was trying to slide under the blocks. I think I jumped while doing so, or immediately after (I don't really remember). There might have been some conflict between a jump happening and being trapped on the ground? Maybe?

Alkerion and Omicron like this.
  6. SuperSonicStar

SuperSonicStar Level 2: Koopa

maybe just a glitch,but this happened to ME 2.

7. uglyrodent

It's definitely a glitch. Glad it's not just me though.