Request "What do you want loaded?" Menu

Discussion in 'Features' started by CowboyJoseph64, Oct 20, 2013.

?

Do you have a crappy computer that won't load the game?

1. Yeah.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Well, it loads, but it's a slim chance.

40.0%
  3. Nah, my computer's good at loading this.

60.0%
  1. CowboyJoseph64

CowboyJoseph64 Level 6: Lakitu

I have a really crappy laptop, and with all this stuff being added, (god knows how much stuff will be here by the time they finally decide to stop updating) even normal computers might have a few problems with loading the game. So I want a menu that loads up before anything else that asks "What do you want loaded?" and it will give you a variety of stuff from the game to load or stay compressed. Like for example, you might be able to turn off certain skins for example, and heck, maybe even be able to turn off one of the two (probably soon be three) games. Maybe even be able to turn off characters.

Faruga likes this.
  2. Develon

Develon Level 5: Spiny

It'd be funny if they made a Super Mario Bros. Crossover All-Stars that would let you choose between the different versions of the game or just load certain content found on each update. For example, load 1.2 to play without extra skins, load 2.0 to play without some skins like Atari and Sharp X-1 and SMB stages only, load 3.0 to play with every skin and feature currently available and load 4.0 to play SMBLL stages and any future skins.

aliceandsven likes this.
  3. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

I don't think it's easy in any way to do this. The game was probably designed in a Game Maker sort of way where it expects everything to be loaded, so async loading would not only be a severe performance hit on it, but require heavy rewriting.

I'd say it's unlikely. And hell, the game only uses up ~100 mb of ram, that should be less than what a 199x computer has available. If you're having trouble with it, you're probably experiencing misconfiguration.

Specs?

Faruga and ThomasMink like this.
  4. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

I used to play SMBC 3.0 on my 8 GB desktop at home running Ubuntu and it ran very smooth. Unfortunately the hard drive died, so I'm now using a 4 GB RAM laptop at home running Windows 7 and while it does load SMBC the gameplay is noticeably slow and choppy. I figured it was because I didn't have enough memory, but my work desktop which also has 4 GB RAM runs the game much more smoothly. I'm sure the difference in performance has to do with the video card (and other factors) but it still makes the option to disable memory-heavy content ideal.

Case-in-point: For less powerful computers, SMBC versions 1.0x ran way more smoothly than subsequent versions, before game music was first emulated. The most significant performance hit seemed to be around version 2.0 when emulated 16-bit music was first introduced. Jay has done a remarkable job in speeding up the game since then, but I don't think any versions of SMBC have been as smooth as the 1.0x series.

CowboyJoseph64 likes this.
  5. CowboyJoseph64

Exactly. That's why when I have a REAL itch to play SMBC, I wind up playing the version that's on newgrounds because it's smooth and has no problems with loading it. I'm glad there's at least ONE other person on these forums that agrees with me on this matter. But...

Well, I sure hope there's an easy way of doing it, because word around the street is that SMBC is nearing it's end and they're gonna stop soon. oh please add kirby before you stop...

6. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Faruga likes this.
  7. CowboyJoseph64

Faruga likes this.