Request Where's the love for Arthur?

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Protoman22, Jan 18, 2012.

1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

It doesn't have to be.

2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Arthur has never broken things with his head as far as I know, so it makes sense that he shouldn't in SMBC.

3. Mew

Mew Level 2: Koopa

Frankly, I think Arthur doesn't need any fancy additions from the later games or edits to boost him or make him 'different'.

He's actually quite different from every character so far ; sure, Simon collect extra weapons as do Megaman... but in Simon's case, they're sub-weapons while Arthur's weapons replace whatever weapon he had at the moment. Likewise, Megaman carry all of his weapons at the same time and they're limited in ammo. Arthur has unlimited ammo but whatever he collect is his lone weapon.

From that point alone, Arthur is quite different. His weapons also have different functions.

The lance is average ; slow-moving but semi-strong. The knife is weak but spammable. The torch is very strong but act like Simon's holy water. And the shield is armor-piercing but has an awkward, slanted diagonal flight angle.

Due to the dual-hit nature of SMBC, Arthur also does not need to have a durability upgrade ; in his original games and in most crossovers, a big point is that Arthur is fragile. In SMBC, this weakness is void due to everyone else already having two hits but instead, Arthur will be balance by his 'one weapon at a time' mechanic (which means that when reaching power-ups, one has to make a choice).

In my opinion... Mushroom gives him his armor and an extra hit.

If he hit a power-up block while already having his armor, it spawn a random weapon pick-up.

Arthur has a dual jump but is relatively slow. Has knockback when hit.

Since the game use the 8-bits versions of each character, I think that Arthur do not need the weapons, upgrades, and extra armors and shields from later games.

CuvisTheConqueror and ThomasMink like this.
  4. CuvisTheConqueror

CuvisTheConqueror Level 4: Buzzy Beetle
    Patron

I don't know how feasible it is, but, as a nod to the original game, I'd say the shield should only spawn from the power-up blocks in 8-3. The other weapons (javelin, knife, axe, torch) could spawn randomly.

Mitewing likes this.
  5. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Actually I would rather all weapons be random but have the shield be weak against everything but Bowsers.

6. Mambo

Mambo Level 2: Koopa

Why not? It already takes one measly hit to kill him in his own game. I'm sure he would fit nicely in the "pipe dream". LOL

Arthur and Firebrand could be, like, the "Mario & Luigi" or the "Rockman & Forte" of the franchise. Arthur alone is an iconic, all-time classic character in his own right. There's no reason for him not to be in SMBC. He doesn't exactly play the same as Simon or Megaman...more like, a hybrid of the two. So, I don't think he should be a mere skin of either.

aliceandsven and Mitewing like this.
  7. twinAgkistrodon

twinAgkistrodon Level 5: Spiny

Neither has Mario.
    :p
    As far as I know.
    I've never played the 3D games.

8. Rey D

Patron

My point is that Arthur has never broken things with jumps, so he shouldn't in SMBC.

9. Mambo

Isn't Mario...punching upwards, when he jumps?

Alkerion likes this.
  10. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

THANK YOU.
    Seriously, HOW do people get that wrong?

Faruga and Alkerion like this.
  11. twinAgkistrodon

twinAgkistrodon Level 5: Spiny

Did nobody get the actual joke here?
    I wasn't making fun of Rey's "As far as I know"
    I was referencing the fact that Mario doesn't break blocks with his head.

Alkerion and MissingNo2 like this.
  12. Rey D

Patron

Instead of stating the obvious, why don't you guys take a look at the actual point?

arthurjump.png
    This is Arthur jumping, his head is the highest part of his body when jumping, and he doesn't break things with it.

13. TheomanZero

But Ghosts 'n Goblins doesn't have breakable blocks like Super Mario Bros. (Though if he had the upward throw from Ghouls 'n Ghosts, breaking blocks by jumping into them would be unnecessary.)

14. CuvisTheConqueror

Patron

I don't know that it's really necessary anyway. He wouldn't be the only character who can't break blocks above him; Mega Man and Ryu have that same weakness.

15. TheomanZero

They can with the right sub-weapons. None of Arthur's weapons attack above him. (Some go in arcs, but don't gain much height.)

16. Rey D

Patron

He doesn't need to break blocks from below.

17. CuvisTheConqueror

Patron

The torch gets enough height to where it'd be able to break blocks above him.

18. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

This! I means seriously why would he need to break blocks with jumping? That was a very old trend in old SMBC that characters with helmets could break blocks. But it is no longer in since it is silly and absolutely not needed.

19. Mambo

Forget about breaking blocks...what SMBC needs is for characters with actual attacks, to be able to drop Bullet Bills with their attacks. :megamanshoot::mb::mb::mb: :bbl:

20. Rey D

Patron

My guess for arthur would be either the torch, or the shield/cross.