Request Where's the love for Arthur?

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Protoman22, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

Well the shield specialty is to be able to destroy projectiles if I am correct. So if that is not enough it could be made that it could hurt armored enemies. Torch may sound more believable to do such but the torch is fancy of a weapon enough already.

2. Mambo

Mambo Level 2: Koopa

No. ALL non-freezing/stunning attacks should be able to hurt Bullet Bills.

3. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of armor-piercing weapons?

MissingNo2 and Mitewing like this.
  4. Mambo

Mambo Level 2: Koopa

I specifically said "Bullet Bills", not "Buzzy Beetles". Mario can kill Bullet Bills by landing on them...the same can't be said of Buzzy Beetles.

5. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

You get a point here. However, Mario's can't kill them with his fireballs.

TheomanZero likes this.
  6. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

[​IMG]
    And yet he still breaks blocks.

7. TheBlueBomber

TheBlueBomber Level 3: Paratroopa

I would like to see Arthur playable in smbc either as his own full character or take the easy way out and make him a skin. The primary focus should be his controls because they were just awful,the 2 hits and you're dead crap probably could be changed as well with the new power-up system.

8. coolman

coolman Level 5: Spiny

I made a skin of arthur.You can see it on the wiki:)

9. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Isn't "two hits and you're dead" how the current power-up system works?
    Actually, SMBC's power-up system is pretty similar to Ghosts 'n Goblins': first you get an extra hit point, which opens up new power-ups to stack on top of your extra hit point, but if you take damage you lose all of your power-ups except for weapons.

CuvisTheConqueror and MissingNo2 like this.
  10. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

The same can easily be said for Simon. What's your point?

ThomasMink likes this.
  11. TheBlueBomber

TheBlueBomber Level 3: Paratroopa

After comparing how many hits you can take from both games i can confirm this, guess i wasn't thinking.:p

12. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I don't think Arthur should have the Mushroom since he already begins with 2 hit points. When he loses the armor, he simply should RANDOMLY obtain replacement armor from powerup blocks.

Speaking of Mushrooms, I think it would be awesome if the Poison Mushroom changed him into a frog!

Faruga likes this.
  13. MissingNo2

... what? That's probably the silliest thing I have read. Poison Mushrooms do the exact same thing for everyone.

Faruga likes this.
  14. Mitewing

Well, I'd like to see the frog incorporated somehow. Thought that would be the easiest way.

15. steven

steven Level 1: Goomba

arthur chould play like he did in mushrom kindom fusion

16. MissingNo2

WE DO NOT SPEAK OF THAT HERE.
    ... *ahem*
    Anyhow, last I checked he was painfully unfinished in that anyhow, and the formula in that game really doesn't transfer well to here at all.

Nat likes this.
  17. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

I have not followed this thread at all so apologies if I'm repeating something, but I've been playing the hell out of the GnG games (SGnG in particular) lately, and one thing that's pretty consistent is the relative permanence of damage. If Arthur is reduced to his boxers, he can't just kill enemies or hit blocks until armor drops - you have to find and collect either armor drops or chests (depending on the game), which is an especially big deal if you haven't memorized where they are. If Arthur's included, he can't just hit a block after taking damage and have it guaranteed he's gonna get his armor back - otherwise, he won't have enough to balance out his ridiculous damage output. I'd recommend one of two things:

-Have armor never drop at all. If Arthur takes damage, he's gonna be 1 hit away from death until he dies or beats the stage.
    -Have armor drop if he's in his boxers, but only sometimes. There's actually some precedent for this - the emulation of the arcade original on Capcom Arcade Cabinet includes a "Casual Mode" which, among other changes, causes armor to sometimes drop instead of weapons if you're down to your boxers. I don't know the actual chance armor drops, but from experience I'd estimate it at 25% or so. This means that if you get hit you aren't necessarily completely fucked, but you can't just coast to the next ? block either.

Also after reading the thread his armor-piercer should totally be the shield, as the only weapon that could kill Astaroth there's plenty of precedent. (also this means it must be skinned into the Goddess Bracelet for the SNES skin)

Mitewing likes this.
  18. Mitewing

I like the idea of the random armor drop. Whenever down to his boxers a ? Block could give him armor or another weapon. It can be as rare as it can be 25%, 15%, 5%, whatever.

19. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

I'd make the percentage whatever it was in Casual Mode, though I don't know what it is.

20. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Have him be like Bill, no mushrooms, just his various weapons, except he gets one extra hit-point or whatever for his armor.

I think it's kind of strange to have armor drop randomly if that isn't how it worked in the original. It might be better to have no armor drops at all, or have it reset after a x-4 stage or upon collecting 1-ups

Mitewing likes this.