Request Widescreen co-op

Discussion in 'Features' started by Crownjo, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

When players have individual lives, shouldn't they have individual coins as well?

Idea: When the players share lives, they can die off individually, and the game will keep going. It won't stop until everyone is dead, like in NSMB, except no bubbles, because that's stupid.
    All dead players will get resurrected when one of the live ones does something:
    It could be when one of them grabs a fireflower, because Fire Flowers already restore your weapons.
    It could be when one of them grabs a 1-up, because that's sorta what 1-ups do.
    And it could be when one of them crosses the checkpoint in a level, because those only come in use when you die, and this would bring them in more.
    Hell, it could have something to do with score. That's completely arbitrary right now.

Player interaction like in NSMB should be kept to a minimum, though. Bouncing off one another to fall into pits is not fun.

MissingNo2 likes this.
  2. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

As far as co-op goes I do like the rules of NSMB since it keeps things simple and makes it flow nicely. When it comes to adding co-op on SMB/SMBC it's best to have no player interaction as a default.

I like the idea of sharing coins and having your own lives for now. Options are good tho.

3. Scorpion42

How do shared coins and individual lives work, is what I ask?

4. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

The same way they do in New Super Mario Bros. Wii?

Faruga likes this.
  5. Scorpion42

How do shared coins and individual lives work in NSMB, is what I ask?

6. TheomanZero

Extra lives go the to player who earns them, except for 100 coin lives, which go to everybody. This means that if one character runs out of lives, the others can bring him/her back by collecting coins.

Crownjo and MissingNo2 like this.
  7. Crownjo

And this is why I stand strong with this. It will make co-op in SMBC more fun with this rule.

Mitewing likes this.
  8. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

MOAR screenshots anybody?

9. Scorpion42

But why not shared lives, though? And what about bubbles? How would they be replaced?

10. Crownjo

Inspire me first then I might do it. ;)

Maybe as a option. But for default co-op I like separate lives.

Something Like Mari0?

Mitewing likes this.
  11. TheomanZero

Shared lives can lead to one bad player using up the whole stock. And instead of bubbles, the characters could just reappear like most multiplayer games.

Mitewing likes this.
  12. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Francesca, Hayate, Bren McGuire (Super Turrican NES version/Samus Skin), Simea

13. Crownjo

See told ya.

Been Busy with life but ill see if I can do more mock up pictures. You know if this becomes real one day I would promote the game with 4 gamepads.

Mitewing likes this.
  14. Scorpion42

Don't gang up, dude. That's bad karma.

I had thought about that, so I did suggest earlier that a life wasn't taken away each time a single player died, but rather once all the players were dead.

15. Crownjo

Didn't mean to gang up. Sorry bout that. I just think the NSMBW did co-op very well.

Scorpion42 likes this.
  16. Scorpion42

It's cool :)

But you know what would also be cool? A co-op campaign, only completable with two or more players.

Player interaction is actually pretty important, otherwise it's like you're playing it by yourself, but slightly easier. I can't see what could be done, though... A way to buff one another, maybe? Playing support can be just as fun as offense.

17. Crownjo

I like player interaction to be a option. Choices is good for a feature like this. Some will like it. Some won't. But you know it would be fun to play it with some interaction.

For default it should be off.

Mitewing likes this.
  18. Scorpion42

Depends what kind of player interaction.

There's hardly any reason to include player grabbing

Crownjo likes this.
  19. CowboyJoseph64

CowboyJoseph64 Level 6: Lakitu

I personally agree that co-op should be like NSMBW. All that I'M asking is that there should be a feature that allows you to look for random people to play with who are also looking for random people. Perfect for someone without friends (like me)

20. Crownjo

By the way I forgot to mention that Jay and the team is welcome to use my concepts if co-op is ever added one day.