Verifying Wrong Jason Portrait on Character Select Screen

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by TheomanZero, Aug 2, 2013.

1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

This only happened once and I don't have a lot of information about it, but here goes anyway:

One time on the character select screen (I was playing as SMAS SMB2 Mario on the SMAS SMB2 Map Skin, and I think it was World 4-2?) I noticed that while most of the character portraits were the default SNES versions (since the console was set to SNES), Sophia's slot was showing Jason's NES portrait. I selected Sophia to see what was going on, and I saw that it defaulted to SNES Sophia, but still showed the NES portrait. However, when I moved away from that skin and then back, it switched to the SNES portrait.

Sorry I couldn't give you any more information, but it wasn't a major bug anyway.

2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I believe it happens when you load a save, in a rather similar fashion to "Classic" character cheat going off but displaying ON.

3. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Is that still happening as well?

EDIT: Never mind, I just tested this and the classic character bug with saving appears to have been fixed.

Rey D likes this.
  4. TheomanZero

Okay, it happened again and this time I got a screenshot.
    SMBC Sophia Bug.PNG
    As you can see in this image, the default 16-bit Sophia is selected (see the brighter frame?), but both the portrait and the character are the 8-bit versions. As soon as I moved the cursor to another skin and them back, it corrected itself.

5. Rey D

Patron

I'm currently unable to search what triggers the glitch. Could you please research it in my stead ?

6. TheomanZero

I have now experienced this glitch in reverse: 16-bit Sophia showing up in 8-bit Sophia's slot.
    It has always been Sophia for me. Is there anything different about how Sophia is displayed in the character select than everyone else? Could it have something to do with being two tiles wide?

luigiman64 likes this.
  7. Mariofan5000

Mariofan5000 Level 6: Lakitu

I've had something similar happen to me. I was selecting Sophia, who used the 16-bit portrait and sprites, even tho I've been playing as 16-bit Tetromino from the start. I went to play a level like that, and I played as 16-bit Sophia with 16-bit Tetromino's portrait and music. Very weird indeed.

8. TheomanZero

This is still happening a lot. I think I might actually be getting the wrong skin more often than the right one. It only happens with Sophia, and only between the default 8-bit and 16-bit skins. Maybe some references got crossed in the code somewhere?

9. Rey D

Patron

Well, yeah, obviously there's something crossing somewhere.
    However, the trigger doesn't seem to be easily pin-pointable, and finding the trigger is the easiest way to fix a bug/glitch.

10. CowboyJoseph64

CowboyJoseph64 Level 6: Lakitu

This never happended to ME, but I never really use sophia when I play the game, either. :-\ This IS rather interesting, though. If we can't pinpoint the exact trigger, let's do a couple of theories.

1. Maybe you switched between the two skins while in-game?

2. You could've saved with NES, but then you changed to SNES right after you loaded.

My hypothisis is that it will be #2, I'll be back with results.

11. TheomanZero

Okay, this has now also happened with the Game Boy skin being replaced by the SNES skin, and it does seem to happen when I load a game that I changed the Map Skin on just before I saved. I believe it also always happened after I changed the "Active Skins" option. I guess that when you load a game after changing the "Active Skins", it saves the right slot in the skin menu for Sophia, but displays the wrong sprites.

EDIT: Actually, this doesn't only happen after I changed the "Active Skins" option or even the Map Skin, but it does always happen after loading.

As before, this only affects Sophia, and it is fixed by changing skins and then changing back.

12. CowboyJoseph64

CowboyJoseph64 Level 6: Lakitu

LATE RESPONSE FTW

ha, my hypothesis was right. So now we know what causes it, but how will we fix it...? (besides doing it manually)

13. SomeGuy712x

SomeGuy712x Level 2: Koopa

I happened to catch on video an example of this Sophia III skin bug.
    Video.
    At about 1:40 in the video, I pick Sophia III on the character select screen, and go with the NES Tetrimino (which is the skin the cursor was already on because that was the one I'd previously used, I guess), but it showed the default NES Blaster Master sprites instead. And, although it showed the Tetrimino skin while displaying my number of lives, it reverted back to the default NES Blaster Master skin while I was playing the level (despite it showing "Tetrimino" up in the status bar and playing Tetris music).