possibilities as to who the new character is

Discussion in 'Game' started by bowsersenemy, Nov 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bowsersenemy

bowsersenemy Level 3: Paratroopa

since the new character has been confirmed by jay to have something to do with using the platforms in the game in a way no other character can, so much to the point that he had to recode the platforms, that cuts down on the possible characters. here's a list of possible characters it could be. i'll try to keep it up to date with everyones ideas, and any mod is welcome to help me out. as to why i created this topic instead of using the one jay posted the video in, i thought since the video was also about jay's life aside from the game, i'd respect it by making a separate topic, instead of dominating that one with just SMBC. anyway, guesses so far are:

Rad Spencer (bionic commando)
    Sophia 3 (blaster master)
    Jazz Jackrabbit
    Batman

EDIT: removed due new info:

kirby
    toad
    magikoopa
    yoshi

to site newcomers: this doesn't mean that one of these characters will be in the game, as we may have completely missed it. these are only guesses based on what the game's creator has stated.

2. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

I can kinda understand all of them (though Toad is a little tricky, are you try to say he could pick up bricks?) except magikoopa. What he has to do with platforms?

3. maybe. it's jazz jackrabbit

4. nicpen

nicpen Level 5: Spiny

Oh man, I'm so damn confident now. It just has to be Sophia III.

5. I wouldn't be that confident. unless I knew.. because then i could look foolish if I was wrong. and I wonder if it was Sophia III what would the new ability be.. I mean i know there was a Sega Genesis version and I heard you had new abilities on it. but I never played it... so i don't know

6. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

I'm not trying to be rude here, just making some points for and against.

I find Rad Spencer the most likely. He's one of the most asked for, interacts with platforms in a new way, and cannot jump. (paraphrasing Jay here)"Having a new ability not in the game" and "everyone will think the new thing is an improvement" heavily points to Rad in the sense that if he added the jump, that would both be new and something most people would approve of.

I can't think how Kirby or Toad would interact with platforms; you have to look at word choice here. He said "platforms", not "bricks". Kirby can suck up bricks, toad can pick them up. But "platforms", both in the game's terminology and that of the fans, refers to the floating girders that move back and forth. It's possible Jay said "platform" as an all encompassing term, but I figure that if he is programming it, he would use the "real" terms more than offhand slang because he deals with that term more often.

I have not played Blaster Master much, so I'm not sure how Sophia interacts with platforms or anything else aside form shooting stuff. Can anyone help me out there?

7. nicpen

nicpen Level 5: Spiny

Sophia III gained the ability to tread sideways on walls, or even upside-down on ceilings. This would require making every surface a surface that can be climbed on, and making every corner a trigger for Sophia III to be able to.

8. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

I reread the first few pages, and I forgot how hilarious that thread was for a while.

9. yeah we didn't take it so serious back then, because there wasn't an update promised in the future. but now.. now that there is one.. oooooooooo you bet we are so serious now. and then after the updates are made. i'm sure we'll go back to being silly about it again.

10. bowsersenemy

don't forget about sophia III's grapple abilities.

also, i agree with uglyrodent, kirby and toad aren't very likely, but since there's still that small chance that he did mean bricks as well, i'll leave them there for now.

and kyoo, were you joking about jazz jackrabbit? i can't tell, since i've never played those games. *goes to youtube*

11. Bilkins

Bilkins Level 3: Paratroopa

My best guess would be Kirby.

I'd say that out of all the characters it could be, Kirby is the most well-known, except maybe Toad, but there already is a character from the Mario series in the SMBC. I'd say it's more likely Jay would bring in a new series, rather than add another character to an already included series(Mario). I assume this because a new series goes along with the "crossover" motif.

Just my thoughts.

12. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

Just for confirmation, when I said platforms, I was talking about the floating platforms. And I will also confirm that the new ability has something to do with jumping. But could it really be as obvious as uglyrodent suggests? All I can say is I'm really looking forward to watching speed runs.

That's all the hints I'm dropping. Have fun. I'll be starting on the trailer in the morning. :)

13. bowsersenemy

well then. i'm off to edit the main post!

14. Bilkins

Bilkins Level 3: Paratroopa

With this new info, my new best guess would be the guy from Bionic Commando.

15. I'm sticking with bob dole. I don't care what anyone else says.

sometimes you just got to go with your gut

16. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

Meh, it will be Jay Jackrabbit. A mix of Jay and Jazz Jackrabbit.

17. OMG! the mix of those too, might be too powerful the world itself might explode from how awesome and great it is.

18. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Rad Spencer would be pretty awesome. He was one of the very first characters I thought of when Jay mentioned the platforms. However, simply being able to grapple onto the platforms doesn't seem all that amazing to me, since the opportunities to do so are limited, and simply jumping on the platform seems like the best option anyway. We'll see, though. Perhaps just adding jumping to Rad isn't awesome enough? Maybe it isn't Rad at all. Too many possibilities, too many questions. We'll see the trailer soon enough, then we'll all know. :)

19. phurgawtin

phurgawtin Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

nah bill, this is a completely different topic. We're trying to figure out who the new character is going to be by process of elimination considering the facts we have at our disposal. that is in no way a character request.

I'm going on the same vibe as Bilkins. Bionic Commando is my best guess as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.